Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

This will be walking distance from the Ontario Line and Exhibition Go with 15 min all day service by the time it opens.
On top of that, they will be building transportation for the last mile between Exhibition Station and Ontario Place. The 509 stops here as well and will be extended to Dufferin loop to bring people in from the 29 bus too

Really my only issue is the fact we're getting a much smaller science center - with that said, a lot of the science center was open space / greenery / outdoor sections - so purely from an exhibit space perspective it's not clear to me how much different it really is ? Side note, I loved the science center growing up, I suspect many did, and I thought they did a decent job keeping it up to date until maybe ~ 2010 (it really was one of the premier North American science centers in the 1990s+) I recall I believe the telus expansion - but since then ... with the lack of investment, I find it's turned into a glorified daycare - as the exhibits are so old, in bad shape, and out of date (from a science and technology perspective).

Another thought - so the science center of course had the imax theater - is cinesphere going to be used in such a capacity as that would be great ? Do you know what would have been a dream come true, no clue if this is really feasible, but turn the cinesphere into a world class planetarium (that can still show movies as well).

I do not think the "spa" is necessarily a bad fit, assuming there is enough variety (i.e. for kids and adults) the fact that it and the science center are all year venus that's a huge win for the area.
My main complaint with the move is that we could have had something new at OP & kept the OSC where it was (with some necessary repairs & renovations, of course). I advocated for no new building in the parking lot, and for the pods to be rotating exhibits curated by various museums around Ontario with an emphasis on Ontario's flora, fauna, food, culture, history, geography, etc. Or something else entirely unique, not a rehash.

The whole thing is just a massive PR blunder by therme and ford. they called it a "family wellness facility".

probably not the best words to describe it. Fords opponents latched onto it and took control of the narrative. All they had to do was say its a family friendly waterpark.
Now every word they say has be in damage control mode

And yea the whole west island will be getting a makeover.

Actually, "family friendly waterpark" wouldn't really be that much better, under the circumstances, particularly given the preexisting facilities we're dealing with. Remember what I've said before about Great Wolf Lodge as some kind of Thing That Ate Niagara Falls. Or, for that matter, what I've said about how those whose formative childhood experience of Ontario Place was in the 70s was different from those whose formative experience was in the 90s, and how the latter had very little, shall we say, Zeidler/Hough to it--somewhere en route, childhood (and, for that matter, the "familyhood" that answered to it) became, or served the purpose of, kitschified nursery entropy.

Also, it isn't like Ripley's (to take another recent-day "family friendly" Toronto establishment) is exactly embraced by dyed-in-the-wool Torontonians as an urban asset--though one can understand how it can be more of a "destination" than, say, The Well.

To use "family friendly waterpark" as an alibi here would be like using "state-of-the-art concert facility" as an alibi on behalf of the Molson Amphitheatre/Bud Stage replacing the OP Forum in the 90s--the original "Ontario Place destruction", lest we forget.

I remember the Zeidler/Hough Ontario Place of the 70s and 80s as some of my all time best childhood memories. Just incredible memories of my parents letting us lose there while there were over at the Ontario Place Forum watching Weather Report in concert. What an amazing time. That and early Ontario Science Centre days were magic.

Actually while I'm at it, the 80s Dinosaur exhibit at the ROM was so much more exciting from a kids perspective then the 'bones in the attic" display they have currently. Anyone remember the tar pit or the dark rooms with aquatic dinosaurs?

Reactions: PL1
Actually, "family friendly waterpark" wouldn't really be that much better, under the circumstances, particularly given the preexisting facilities we're dealing with. Remember what I've said before about Great Wolf Lodge as some kind of Thing That Ate Niagara Falls. Or, for that matter, what I've said about how those whose formative childhood experience of Ontario Place was in the 70s was different from those whose formative experience was in the 90s, and how the latter had very little, shall we say, Zeidler/Hough to it--somewhere en route, childhood (and, for that matter, the "familyhood" that answered to it) became, or served the purpose of, kitschified nursery entropy.

Also, it isn't like Ripley's (to take another recent-day "family friendly" Toronto establishment) is exactly embraced by dyed-in-the-wool Torontonians as an urban asset--though one can understand how it can be more of a "destination" than, say, The Well.

To use "family friendly waterpark" as an alibi here would be like using "state-of-the-art concert facility" as an alibi on behalf of the Molson Amphitheatre/Bud Stage replacing the OP Forum in the 90s--the original "Ontario Place destruction", lest we forget.
Nostalgia aside, what is the definition of "better"

I was just saying Therme wouldnt be dealing with theese issues had they not made such an easy pr blunder

My main complaint with the move is that we could have had something new at OP & kept the OSC where it was (with some necessary repairs & renovations, of course). I advocated for no new building in the parking lot, and for the pods to be rotating exhibits curated by various museums around Ontario with an emphasis on Ontario's flora, fauna, food, culture, history, geography, etc. Or something else entirely unique, not a rehash.

It's like the decision was made to move without showing exactly what the plans of the move - vis-a-vis the exhibits and the limitations of the site - will be.

AoD

The more important question is how does Therme or even our provincial government define "better" here. And how would that impact the public use of OP and it's environment and sustainability.

Keep in mind that Therme is in this to make money, everything else is a secondary consideration at best.

Reactions: PL1

I was just saying Therme wouldnt be dealing with theese issues had they not made such an easy pr blunder
If you're arguing that the only alibi on behalf of the OP Forum was "nostalgia" and its replacement is "better", then you just don't get it.

Ontario Place 4 All; the group opposed to the current scheme and seeking judicial review of the Ontario government's decision to exempt the current project from a full EA has won a modest battle, insofar as the court has now ruled that their litigation can proceed. The Ontario gov't had been seeking to quash their case.

From the above:

1712128767684.png

1712128784265.png

The text of the legal decision, in full, can be found here:

From the above, are the summing paragraphs that matter:

1712129196952.png

To clarify on the above, the government passed a law which it asserts, retroactively exempted the Ontario Place West Island project from an EA.

Ontario Place for all essentially argues (my reading) that the legislation the government enacted, as worded, fails to achieve the government's stated objective.

The judge did not rule on the substance of the assertion above, but rather that it had sufficient merit to go before a full panel of the court without being summarily quashed by her.

It is unclear to me if any injunctive relief has been sought or obtained here, or will be sought.

Ontario Place 4 All; the group opposed to the current scheme and seeking judicial review of the Ontario government's decision to exempt the current project from a full EA has won a modest battle, insofar as the court has now ruled that their litigation can proceed. The Ontario gov't had been seeking to quash their case.

From the above:

View attachment 553278

View attachment 553279

The text of the legal decision, in full, can be found here:

From the above, are the summing paragraphs that matter:

View attachment 553280

To clarify on the above, the government passed a law which it asserts, retroactively exempted the Ontario Place West Island project from an EA.

Ontario Place for all essentially argues (my reading) that the legislation the government enacted, as worded, fails to achieve the government's stated objective.

The judge did not rule on the substance of the assertion above, but rather that it had sufficient merit to go before a full panel of the court without being summarily quashed by her.

It is unclear to me if any injunctive relief has been sought or obtained here, or will be sought.
This really is like a baby step in the lawsuit.
I guess the win is the quote that the judge says the arguments are not completely "frivolous" but then again the judge hasnt even ruled on the arguments themselves. Simply letting a panel of 3 rule on them
As a non-legal observer whats the point of this hearing anyway, even if a win by the government here would allow them to automatically appeal LOL

Decisions on the merits, in Divisional Court, are to be made by a panel of three judges. Where a proceeding is vexatious or demonstrably without merit, a single judge may quash or dismiss it on motion-- a decision that is reviewable as of right before a panel. It may be that at the end of the day as argued by Ontario, the will of the legislature must prevail, even if expressed retroactively. However, it cannot be said that OP4A’s concerns about governance in defiance of environmental legislation are frivolous or unworthy of argument before a panel of the court, notwithstanding the passage of legislation which purports to retroactively sanitize the initial allegedly unlawful conduct. Where, as here, the questions are legal issues of first impression, in a context of significant public law interest and concern, the issue is more appropriately dealt with by a panel than by a single judge.

Is it really going to change the end result or will the government just spend time and money fighting this and we'll be in the same place when it's all over?

Is it really going to change the end result or will the government just spend time and money fighting this and we'll be in the same place when it's all over?
Honestly, OP4A has a small chance to win this. Though even if they did, the government might just use the notwithstanding on it.
I cant see Ford taking the L on this and giving up

It seems for whatever reason, after catching up on this discussion nearly a year later, that Adma seems to have a certain distaste for the theme park industry and entertainment destinations in particular.

To make it clear, like it or not, no one was playing in the Forum when Wonderland built Kingswood….and wouldn’t reestablishing the prime concert venue downtown be the ultimate goal which the Molson Amphitheatre clearly did?

It should have worked easily in Ontario Place’s favour, as a concert ticket meant free admission, and there was (and still to this day) no reasonable restaurants nearby, that one was captive to spend money on the grounds of Ontario Place.

You do speak of playing in the playground at High Park attended by parents, and I’ve always asked, what makes my experience so much different when my mother and I walked to Norton Place Park here in Brampton three decades ago? I’ve been trying to read your posts as others have and you seem to think that all children just magically appreciate architecture.

Honestly, OP4A has a small chance to win this. Though even if they did, the government might just use the notwithstanding on it.
I cant see Ford taking the L on this and giving up
At the very least, it keeps the Ford people in the limelight for their simple crassness as if another example were necessary - bread and circuses and buck-a-beer.

Back