Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

"Yeah, and the more sophisticated among them wouldn't arbitrarily trash an Ontario Place-type landmark in their midst in order to create such fare..."

I'm not sure you're right on this one. Bad developers may try to trash the area, so you'll need proper regulations and planning from the City.

You don't get what I am saying. It isn't a matter of "good" or "bad" new waterfront development, planning, etc. It's that "waterfront cities" with a sophisticated approach to planning Would. Not. Destroy. An. Ontario. Place. in order to create such stuff. In 2011. Point. Blank.

And if you think otherwise, you're no better than a "bad developer", so I suppose we need "proper regulations and planning" to stop destructive idiots like you in your tracks...

Who says they're going to trash Ontario Place? We don't even know the plans yet. A lot of speculation really over something where we have nearly no information on as yet.

Wonderland definitely should have been built where Ontario Place is. Would have been very similar to Cedar Point!

There won't be a relocation though. It's way too expensive. So I wouldn't mind seeing them put some more thrill into the park. Maybe a big ferris wheel? A classic wooden coaster.

Wonderland definitely should have been built where Ontario Place is. Would have been very similar to Cedar Point!

There won't be a relocation though. It's way too expensive. So I wouldn't mind seeing them put some more thrill into the park. Maybe a big ferris wheel? A classic wooden coaster.

They wouldn't move wonderland there in a million years due to the foreseeable complaints about noise from local residents...I.e. the same people who complain about the airport noise, even though it's like a 30 sec bit of noise maybe once or twice an hour. Rollercoasters with people screaming go at a much greater frequency :p

FYI, I live near the airport. It's way more than 30 seconds once or twice an hour.

I think moving Wonderland won't happen for way better reasons than noise.

I think it's time to sell off (long term lease) chunks of the park to private developers. The uses should be restricted to entertainment, retail and food. No residential should be allowed on the site.
The developers could be responsible to provide transportation to the site from the subway/streetcars in the area.

I think the entire east side of the property should be redeveloped. Keep most of the existing structures but allow more private companies to operate within them.

OntarioPlaceAerial.jpg

FYI, I live near the airport. It's way more than 30 seconds once or twice an hour.

I think moving Wonderland won't happen for way better reasons than noise.

hmm, I guess you'd know better. I often go there with my cousin, who's a pilot to take pictures and go flying, and the planes make hardly any noise until the land and the propellers are put into reverse to slow the plane down, if this lasts more than 30seconds, pretty sure the plane is in danger of landing off the runway... Maybe they test the propellers sometimes while doing maintenance as well.

There are engine run-ups and engine maintenance that goes on. It can last for 10-15 minutes at a stretch and is extremely loud. Take-offs and landings are every few minutes, not once or twice an hour -- it's a busy airport.

That said, I choose to live by the airport and have just moved into a new condo with a killer view of the airport. If the noise bugs me too much, I can close the windows. The traffic also makes noise. It's life in the city.

As for Ontario Place noise, the noise from concerts (probably the loudest thing that goes on there) doesn't seem to travel to residential areas. Nor does the screaming from the roller coasters at the Ex :). On the other hand, the car racing event that's coming up is LOUD, but it's once a year. Air show is loud too, but again, it's once a year.

Transportation issues would be significant if moving Wonderland to OP (and I really don't think that would get serious consideration). It's brutal around Wonderland now, I can only imagine how it would tie up Lake Shore.

Personally, I'm not a fan of amusement parks, so I'm biased against a Wonderland-style attraction. I'm sure someone can come up with a feasible, interesting idea to make use of Ontario Place. It used to be quite vibrant, but it's pretty sad these days.

The Cinesphere is special!

The Cinesphere has not only retained their giant 8 storey screen but also film, they didn't go digital (thank goodness!). See "Hubble 3D" on real IMAX FILM, it looks and sounds great. The old place got a reno. that's been going on since February. New acoustic panels, sound system, 3D screen, seats and more. It's promising to see money invested in this terrific structure.

We should definitely save and celebrate the Cinesphere and make it more of an attraction. I wish I'd seen Star Trek in IMAX there! Maybe I'll see Star Trek 2/XII there...

I saw Apocalypse Now at least half a dozen times there. Some people were way into it and dressed in army fatigues and camouflage make-up.

Back