Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Cars are not an equally desirable tranport mode

Once again, this is flawed thinking. More road capacity is self evidently an improvement in transport capability.

There is nothing flawed in my argument, nor anything self-evident in yours.

Let's back up a bit. Your argument presupposes that:

Road capacity expansion does not come at the expense of expansion to other modes of transport. In fact, it most certainly does! Today's downtown streets once had dedicated streetcar tracks throughout, look at the old pictures from the early 20th century, no concrete fill between the tracks (de facto ROW). These tracks were in some cases removed or at least abandoned (Richmond, Adelaide etc.) in favour of the car, and in other cases, streetcar tracks were filled w/pavement or cobblestone to make room for cars to 'share' the tracks, at the expense of reliable and fast transit service and capacity.

Even a new suburban corridor, by definition occupies space which could otherwise be used for other transportation (ie. rail) and/or for efficient land use (i.e residential or office development).

So it does not follow that new lane capacity appears without adversely impacting capacity of other transport modes.

There also being a finite amount of money to facilitate these projects, the more funding hoovered up by one type of project, the less there is for another.

Think, no #407, not only would have paid for a dedicated GO line in that corridor, but could have also paid for the Sheppard Subway from Don Mills to Scarborough Centre with the change! The money expended on #404 extension and widening was enough to pay for western leg of the Sheppard Subway.

And so on.....

The resulting improvement in efficient land use would have greatly benefited the taxpayer.

Making normative judgments that one is better or more appropriate than another doesn't help anything.

Above and beyond the arguments above. There are several other reasons to pre-suppose that transit is a far superior choice for how to move people.

1) Let's start with the obvious environmental argument....

2) But let's move quickly to use of energy how much fuel or energy expended per KM of person movement? (transit wins this hands down)

3) Let's follow by examining space (or land use). How much space does GO Require to move 18,000 people an hour (in one direction, on one line)? That's only 10 trains, on 1 track. (service every 6 min.)

Given average vehicle occupancy at only 1.2 people per car

That's 16,000 plus cars.

Just look at the road capacity you just required, the vast swaths of land.

That land used a freeway will generate no property tax, no economic benefit.

The railway occupies far less space for each person moved.

This same rationale applies to LRT, Subway and even bus, albeit in the latter case at a lower benefit rate.

To reiterate, as a LICENSED DRIVER of more than 18 years, who still owns a car, there is no question whatever, that both economically, and environmentally cars are the least desirable way to move people, as trucks are the least desirable way to move goods. Both are necessary sometimes, and extraordinarily convenient in others, but no one here, least of all me, is advocating a ban on cars, or the removal of all highways.

We are saying, that to our detriment, we overbuilt our road capacity and under built are capacity to move both goods and people in other more sustainable ways.

The time has come to reverse that mistake (over many, many years) by ceasing to create new car capacity, by creating massive new capacity in other transport modes; and by selectively reducing car capacity in favour of more efficient roads where space constraints and congestion both demand it, and make it feasible and desirable.

You are missing the point entirely. I'm not talking about building the 401 along Queen street. I am talking about actively reducing the transport capacity we already have (in this case road space, but this is the same Council that proposed closing subways as well so it isn't road specific) while not providing any alternatives of any kind that would meet the speed and convenience of what is being replaced. I don't care that the City wants to move away from private automobiles, I care that they seem totally uninterested in providing alternatives based off of some totally idiotic idea that if the City makes it hard enough to drive, everyone will just hop on the streetcar and start buying fair trade. There is, categorically, absolutely no evidence to suggest that and no shortage of evidence that people will simply relocate to areas without congestion (both suburbs as well as new cities entirely).

EDIT: Just to add another to the list of transport projects kiboshed by the Luddites: the DRL! Part of the reason it never gained ground in Toronto was because the trendy NDP opposed subway construction downtown because it would improve transit too much. Thanks, Jack Layton. There is definitely a certain type of Torontonian whom explicitly abhors the idea that people should have the choice to travel long distances and views mobility as a threat to a certain way of life. Roads, airports, subways, trains, bus routes. All of them have at varying times fallen victim to these Luddites who view a 2km streetcar trip as the pinnacle of transportation.

Last edited:
A TTC downtown relief line would be a cheaper alternative than taking the GO train. A single fare GO train from Bloor (Dundas West) to Union is $3.95 or $7.90 for a two-ride ticket. Danforth GO (Main Street) to Union is more expensive at $4.10 or $8.20 for the two-ride ticket. Now both would be express, since there are no stops south along the way, except for the signal lights.

But how many actually use them from Bloor or Danforth to Union on the GO train?

I would hope that by the time the DRL is built, those ridiculous fare issues will be resolved and riders will pay one fare to travel between two points regardless of which mode they choose.

A TTC downtown relief line would be a cheaper alternative than taking the GO train. A single fare GO train from Bloor (Dundas West) to Union is $3.95 or $7.90 for a two-ride ticket. Danforth GO (Main Street) to Union is more expensive at $4.10 or $8.20 for the two-ride ticket. Now both would be express, since there are no stops south along the way, except for the signal lights.

But how many actually use them from Bloor or Danforth to Union on the GO train?

Fares are artificial numbers set by a bunch of people in a board room. There's no reason why using the DRL won't require a $10 fare any more than the GO train could be one dollar from Bloor to Union.

Let's face it, full fare integration is a while out yet. Designing a new line that only works with fare integration is a fools errand. Conversely, designing a new line that won't work with fare integration is short-sighted. Placing two complimentary or competing services (depending on how you look at it) along the same corridor could be beneficial or detrimental.

I think the best idea for the western leg of the DRL is an express/local 4-track service. For the time being, express is the Blue 22 service/GO Georgetown, local is run by the TTC as a subway. Gives Toronto commuters a new subway option without the extra fare, but still provides an express service to Pearson as well as those commuters who really want the express to Union.

Actually, I think fare integration is the very first thing we should do, and spending billions on new lines that may or may not duplicate one another just because of our antiquated and arcane fare system is wrongheaded.

Actually, I think fare integration is the very first thing we should do, and spending billions on new lines that may or may not duplicate one another just because of our antiquated and arcane fare system is wrongheaded.

But my point is building it in the way I just described builds it in a fashion that they compliment eachother, but can still function well without fare integration. Pardon my skepticism, but when it comes to having logical fare systems, I've lost all faith in the TTC. I'm originally from Ottawa, so I have experience with time-based transfers, and I can say I prefer that method a lot more.

What exactly do people mean by "fare integration"? Are we talking about creating a common fare medium between transit systems or actually integrating payment between them? The differences between the two are quite large.

Yeah. It's not really about a common fare medium (like Presto) because you can't have a common fare system without one.

It's also good to point out that a common fare system does not inherently mean a flat fare for the whole system.

A person traveling between two points should pay the same fare, regardless of mode.

That's not really assured, either. There are systems where express options have a higher cost than slower local options. But still the important thing is you pay still pay only one fare for the whole trip.

Both a common fare medium and a common fare. A person traveling between two points should pay the same fare, regardless of mode.

Are we talking about integration across bordering transit agencies (i.e. YRT and TTC) or overlapping agencies (i.e. GO and TTC). I agree that in the first there should be integration so that riders aren't paying excessive fares. However in the second we still need a way to differentiate between two forms of transit particularly when one tends to focus on express travel while the other on local. For example it is more convenient to take a GO train from Union to Kipling station vs taking the subway. We need to reflect that convinience in the fares.

Why? In every European city, fare is determined by distance regardless of which mode is chosen. I think those systems are a better model for emulation than the American model of different fares for every mode. I can't fathom why we should be encouraging people through the fare system to take less convenient modes. It also makes the system far more complicated than is necessary.

However in the second we still need a way to differentiate between two forms of transit particularly when one tends to focus on express travel while the other on local. For example it is more convenient to take a GO train from Union to Kipling station vs taking the subway. We need to reflect that convinience in the fares.

That's fine, let it cost more to take GO than the TTC between any two points. However, when one gets off the GO train, they should not have to spend another $2.25 to travel 2 stops on the subway. Implement a standard fare per km that might vary by mode. Kipling to Union may be 15km at 20 cents/km on the GO train. Union to Queen on the subway might be another 1 km at 15 cents/km. Total cost of trip: $3.15, compared to about $6.50 today.

Same goes for transferring between local systems. Queen to Steeles would be 16km at 15 cents/km on the TTC. Steeles to Highway 7 would be an extra 4km, still at 15 cents/km. Total cost of trip: $3.00, compared to about $5.00 today.

Back