Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

That might not be as bad as it sounds. It would provide relief to Yonge/Bloor (the train does get decently full by Main with most riders bound for the core) while opening up more subway stops along the southern edge of the city.
Sure ... but it's just fantasy. The maximum number of tracks you can squeeze in the alignment is 4, once you are east of Broadview. And 3 are already in use ... if the 4th track doesn't end up going to GO, it will be for high-speed rail. Two tracks for subway is an impossibility.

Which is a shame it can't be subway, as I'm right beside it.

Sure ... but it's just fantasy. The maximum number of tracks you can squeeze in the alignment is 4, once you are east of Broadview. And 3 are already in use ... if the 4th track doesn't end up going to GO, it will be for high-speed rail. Two tracks for subway is an impossibility.

I've been looking at the newly-renovated Danforth station with a fourth track in mind. It appears that you could squeeze a fourth track under the Main Street bridge, but the new south-side access building would block it. If a fourth track were added and the access building razed and rebuilt to the south, there wouldn't be room for the ground-level access from the southwest side of the bridge either.

More than four tracks would require major works along the line: wider bridges, more cuttings, who knows even demolitions.

Isn't there an EA going forward for a third track between Guildwood and the split in Pickering?

Rail Corridor use

Not quite true.

Though there is no room for a DRL.....

GO's own studies show that from the TTR (Don Valley) to Scarborough Junction they will have SIX tracks up and running before 2020.

The vast majority of the corridor will hold that as is. The bridge @ Woodbine will hold at least 5 tracks, Victoria Park 6 or more. There are other bridges that would need widening (including those just done @ Warden and Danforth)

Near Main Street the self-storage facility is on the Rail Corridor lands. That was the old East Toronto Rail Yards (north) and the GO Danforth Parking lot for a while. To my knowledge it is still in public hands and only leased to the storage facility. (someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

From Main west, w/o retaining walls, there is room for 1-2 tracks w/o major construction, at to Pape anyways.

To get to six, they will need to take out the mini-ravine embankments on the north side of the corridor, which definitely adds 1 more track if not 2 in terms of space. That forces a new retaining wall, not sure that will impress the local homeowners, but it is railway property.

Pape to Broadview looks more problematic to me on Google Maps, not sure you can do six w/o some expropriation.

Notwithstanding the above, that six-track proposal is Required for GO, VIA and CN alone, and makes no provision for either high-speed rail or a Subway.

Highspeed will have to run on this corridor, so that completely rules out the subway at grade.

Certainly you could deep-bore underneath, but I'm not clear on how much money you would save, or that it is a particularly brilliant alignment.

In the west end, same issue. The Weston Corridor will be 8-tracked, though to the CP Mainline (from the TTR) but all of those tracks are accounted for without a DRL.

So again, you only have the underground option, and I'm not sure why you would duplicate the GO service route, solely to offer 1 or 2 additional intermediate stops.

Besides which, no one believes the DRL can run out of Toronto-Union Station anymore.

Every analysis now shows that Union Station even after doubling in capacity under proposed improvements will be strained severely be the new GO, VIA and TTC services due to run out of it.

A DRL will run under either King or Queen, and that makes use of the corridors largely a non-starter, except for the eastern and westernmost fringes.

Last edited:
Given how much of an embankment or cut there is at places, I don't see how you can get 6 in ... without expropriating back yards ... west of Main at least.

Embankments

I agree the embankment has to go if you want six tracks.

Though, to my knowledge this not require expropriation.

My best friend's home abuts the tracks, the fence and to my knowledge the lot line is at the top of the embankment.

Meaning everything below that is CN property.

There are some sections where the embankment is not as large, and some expropriation might be necessary for a sixth track, its difficult to tell.

Notwithstanding the above, that six-track proposal is Required for GO, VIA and CN alone, and makes no provision for either high-speed rail or a Subway.
No it's not. Other countries have a lot more mixed rail traffic on fewer tracks. There's no reason that each user has to have its own set of tracks, even with the onerous North American safety regs.

It is pretty absurd. I was in Switzerland a few weeks ago, where I experienced a railway line that has scheduled 11 passenger trains in an hour over a 4.9km section of single track.

I must confess, looking at the City of Toronto's mapping site with the air-photo on (the B&W one is best for detail), and property lines, it does appear one could get 6 tracks in a lot of places - ignoring topography. Where did the story that's been here for years that 4 was the limit?

Given how much of an embankment or cut there is at places, I don't see how you can get 6 in ... without expropriating back yards ... west of Main at least.

Totally agree with you on this from my various shooting field trips. Most places will only support 4 tracks in the existing ROW. Pape overpass is an example of max 4 without allowing for a station stop.

Have to find some photo's I shot to show this.

I've been looking at the newly-renovated Danforth station with a fourth track in mind. It appears that you could squeeze a fourth track under the Main Street bridge, but the new south-side access building would block it. If a fourth track were added and the access building razed and rebuilt to the south, there wouldn't be room for the ground-level access from the southwest side of the bridge either.

More than four tracks would require major works along the line: wider bridges, more cuttings, who knows even demolitions.

Isn't there an EA going forward for a third track between Guildwood and the split in Pickering?

Danforth is another example of GO not thinking about the future.

A fourth track can fit in there as a passing track and will require that newly build access to be move and rebuilt.

If you move the existing station, you can put in a track there and will require a new tunnel and access to the north.................Hummmm...........connection to the BD.

I lost track, but the EA for the 3rd track to Pickering has been done and part of the 3rd track program for the east end a few years ago.

Besides which, no one believes the DRL can run out of Toronto-Union Station anymore.

Every analysis now shows that Union Station even after doubling in capacity under proposed improvements will be strained severely be the new GO, VIA and TTC services due to run out of it.

A DRL will run under either King or Queen, and that makes use of the corridors largely a non-starter, except for the eastern and westernmost fringes.

1) The DRL would run out of Union Subway Station, not Toronto Union Station (the train station). 2) There's room available at the subway station

3) What analyses have there been that show a DRL would somehow cripple Union Subway Station? Just with the setup we have now, Union Subway Station is perfectly fine. The second platform will double the subway station's capacity. And the improvements to the station itself to make it easier for GO passengers to bypass the subway to get to the PATH will make it even better.

4) It has never, ever been stated where the DRL WILL run. Metrolinx has used a Queen alignment. The only official TTC reports have ever had have used the rail corridor.

I'm sure others can elucidate things more for you than I can. But please, get your facts straight and don't just make ones up out of thin air.

My facts are fine

I'm sure others can elucidate things more for you than I can. But please, get your facts straight and don't just make ones up out of thin air.

Now, I try to be respectful of other posters, so I'll let you off nicely, by saying that was extremely rude; and that my facts are fine. The first person I know of to say Union Station can't hold the DRL was Steve Munro, and a review of any number of studies will tell you why.

1) The DRL would run out of Union Subway Station, not Toronto Union Station (the train station). 2) There's room available at the subway station

On your first point, if you read back, this was a discussion posited based on the idea (suggested by others) that the DRL could be run at grade in the existing rail corridor. We're that the case, it might well intercept the main Toronto-Union Station.

That said, my assumption concerning capacity applies to the subway station
as well.

Currently Union subway station is overcrowded to a very dangerous point in rush hour and especially after events at the ACC or the Dome.

That is what triggered the new second platform and related improvement projects.

The new second platform will alleviate congestion but will not, even assuming flat growth in ridership, create vast swaths of excess capacity. Keep in mind the new second platform will be connected on level to the new LRT platform which will hold a minimum of 1 additional LRT (Harbourfront East), but likely 2 or 3 (as Bremner/Harbourfront West are also likely to be incoming to Union.

You have further pressures through massive area development, and the strong liklihood of a new inter-city bus terminal on site.

And the all the vast growth of ridership from the GO Expansion and from VIA expansion (conservatively doubling ridership levels in the next decade or so) will have some spillover effect on the TTC as well.

A quick look at the diagrams for the Union Station plans (both TTC and GO/VIA) will tell you there is no room for a side by side platform aligment for the DRL and YUS. There is no where under Union Station proper to do this either for a variety of structural and spatial reasons. That leaves the only option to go completely under the YUS, this would have to be an extremely deep bore, there would be water table questions, and the none too small matter of how you propose to get the surface. There is no room in the TTC's Union redesign to handle a connection from a lower level, and you are constrained by Toronto-Union to the south and RB Plaza to the north.

While nothing is impossible in this world; there is an abundance of evidence and common sense that suggests a DRL will not be routed through Toronto-Union. Metrolinx chose an alternative suggested alignment for good reason.

3) What analyses have there been that show a DRL would somehow cripple Union Subway Station? Just with the setup we have now, Union Subway Station is perfectly fine. The second platform will double the subway station's capacity. And the improvements to the station itself to make it easier for GO passengers to bypass the subway to get to the PATH will make it even better.

As outlined above, all of the available capacity from currently proposed changes is accounted for by existing or proposed ridership through 2020 which does not account for a DRL.

Nowhere in the proposed Union Station plans (TTC or GO/VIA) will you find any proposed capacity dedicated to handling ridership or connections that are DRL related, nor when you look at their ridership assumptions have they accounted for its possibility.

In fact, Steve Munro has posited, on his blog, and I happen to agree, that there is currently so much proposed growth in GO in the next few years that it is not clear that Toronto-Union can handle (even after all the proposed improvements) the projected train movements or ridership. It will be tight.

If you would like to look at the all the various studies, I don't have all the links at hand, but they are widely available.

Read the TTC's Union Station project details
Read the City of Toronto's Union Station project details
Read the GO Transit expansion studies released at last week's Metrolinx board meeting
And while your there you may wish look up the ridership numbers for a proposed DRL.

Now could we keep the debate constructive please. Thank you. :D

Danforth GO

Danforth is another example of GO not thinking about the future.

A fourth track can fit in there as a passing track and will require that newly build access to be move and rebuilt.

If you move the existing station, you can put in a track there and will require a new tunnel and access to the north.................Hummmm...........connection to the BD.

That was my impression. The self-storage beside Danforth GO, I believe is still either CN or Canada Lands property and was retained for future corridor expansion. But no question, if the existing Main St. Bridge is retained you can't clear more than 4 tracks, at least with full height for bi-levels or containers. I assume GO's 6-track premise means a new bridge.

Interesting to note though, I read a local history of the area, and the it says that the previous Main St Bridge (from the early 20th C) allowed 8 tracks underneath it. This would be when what is now Danforth GO, Main Square and a subdivision was the East Toronto Rail year (with 27 tracks). Obviously they didn't build as big a bridge in the later go round. Funny, I have trouble envisioning how big the Main Bridge would have to be to allow 6-8 tracks to clear it.

For those of you who know the area, the former yard is why the Victoria Park Rail bridge is so wide.

I lost track, but the EA for the 3rd track to Pickering has been done and part of the 3rd track program for the east end a few years ago.

This EA is listed in the presentation to last week's Metrolinx meeting as in the future. I don't remember the exact dates, but was 1-3 years from now.

Could this just be an update of an old EA?

Now, I try to be respectful of other posters, so I'll let you off nicely, by saying that was extremely rude; and that my facts are fine. The first person I know of to say Union Station can't hold the DRL was Steve Munro, and a review of any number of studies will tell you why.

I'll try to be respectful of a noob, but I think you're flat out wrong.

And using Steve Munro as a source to me is like quoting George W. Bush on global warming. i.e. virtually no credibility. It's because of Mr. Munro that we have Transit City. Sheppard LRT. Eglinton LRT. Scarborough LRT possibly.

I have used Union Station a lot, having commuted downtown for school for 3 years. Union Subway Station isn't the busiest in the network, and there are times, even during rush hour, that it's pretty empty. True it can get pretty full at times, but those times are rare in my experience. The crowds at (generalized) Union are between the train station and the subway station and the PATH. NOT the subway station. Most GO commuters walk right by.

The suggestion that Union is at capacity is, frankly, ridiculous. The second platform is happening, so it's even less of an issue.

Add to that, the DRL will have it's own platforms. And there are definitely ways to improve the pedestrian traffic in the mezzanine. Things like Presto will definitely help.

I'm sure there are many, many stations in cities like Tokyo, New York City, London, Paris, Hong Kong that are much busier than Union Subway Station.

On your first point, if you read back, this was a discussion posited based on the idea (suggested by others) that the DRL could be run at grade in the existing rail corridor. We're that the case, it might well intercept the main Toronto-Union Station.

Just because part of it might be at grade in the rail corridor, doesn't mean it has to be, and even if it was, there's no reason it would run through Union Train Station. Logic itself would dictate that the DRL station is part of Union Subway Station and not on the other side of the Train Station. It's entirely possible the DRL could run below the Yonge-University line at Union.

Currently Union subway station is overcrowded to a very dangerous point in rush hour and especially after events at the ACC or the Dome.

That is what triggered the new second platform and related improvement projects.

The Union platform is only crowded when people are waiting for trains in both directions. That's why the second platform is being built. But it's not above capacity or anything crazy like that.

The new second platform will alleviate congestion but will not, even assuming flat growth in ridership, create vast swaths of excess capacity. Keep in mind the new second platform will be connected on level to the new LRT platform which will hold a minimum of 1 additional LRT (Harbourfront East), but likely 2 or 3 (as Bremner/Harbourfront West are also likely to be incoming to Union.

The DRL doesn't need "vast swaths of excess capacity". It'll get its own platforms. The concern about the mezzanine is real, but nothing a New York or Tokyo subway engineer couldn't solve in a day.

I think Union's importance to the subway network is quite overstated. Union is busy because of GO, not because of the TTC. GO riders, the vast majority getting off at Union Train Station do NOT take the TTC. You need only go to Union and see them sea of them push PAST the subway station. I don't know what the TTC is so worried about to be honest. And the Train Station is more than DOUBLING the space allocated to GO with the west concourse.

You have further pressures through massive area development, and the strong liklihood of a new inter-city bus terminal on site.

There already is a bus terminal on-site. If you mean the relocation of the Toronto Coach Terminal, then I don't really see that adding much strain at Union at all. It's not rush-hour dominated.

And the all the vast growth of ridership from the GO Expansion and from VIA expansion (conservatively doubling ridership levels in the next decade or so) will have some spillover effect on the TTC as well.

VIA affecting TTC? Not bloody likely. Again, VIA isn't rush-hour oriented. If anything, VIA might make the station busier off-peak, during which there's tons of capacity at Union Subway Station as is.

A quick look at the diagrams for the Union Station plans (both TTC and GO/VIA) will tell you there is no room for a side by side platform aligment for the DRL and YUS. There is no where under Union Station proper to do this either for a variety of structural and spatial reasons. That leaves the only option to go completely under the YUS, this would have to be an extremely deep bore, there would be water table questions, and the none too small matter of how you propose to get the surface. There is no room in the TTC's Union redesign to handle a connection from a lower level, and you are constrained by Toronto-Union to the south and RB Plaza to the north.

Didn't we already have this discussion? I think it was unimaginative who debunked the notion of no space for DRL platforms at Union Subway Station.

I don't understand your position here. It can't be done! It's impossible! Err, no. Given the money, anything is possible. There's nothing insurmountable about Union capacity issues that money can't fix.

While nothing is impossible in this world; there is an abundance of evidence and common sense that suggests a DRL will not be routed through Toronto-Union. Metrolinx chose an alternative suggested alignment for good reason.

Metrolinx combined the DRL and Queen subway into one line. Whether that's a good idea or not is debatable. But there is no engineering problems with having DRL go through Union.

In fact, Steve Munro has posited, on his blog, and I happen to agree, that there is currently so much proposed growth in GO in the next few years that it is not clear that Toronto-Union can handle (even after all the proposed improvements) the projected train movements or ridership. It will be tight.

I call bullshit, for reasons I've already stated above. Let GO handle its own projections and leave Steve to his LRT fanwanking.

If you would like to look at the all the various studies, I don't have all the links at hand, but they are widely available.

Read the TTC's Union Station project details
Read the City of Toronto's Union Station project details
Read the GO Transit expansion studies released at last week's Metrolinx board meeting
And while your there you may wish look up the ridership numbers for a proposed DRL.

Now could we keep the debate constructive please. Thank you. :D

I've already looked at all those documents, but thanks anyway.

Just because a naysayer says "it can't be done" doesn't mean it's true.

A DRL hasn't been studied extensively in a long time. At this point it's really just speculation on our part on how busy it'd be, where it'd go, how at-capacity Union train and subway stations will be in the future. Until the DRL itself is specifically studied, we don't have a final answer. There's absolutely ZERO reason to preclude Union Station as a connection point at this time. And there are also good reasons to have all four subway lines connect at that one point. Clearly I'm biased in that I like the idea of being able to make all those connections at one place.

It just seems like madness to me to ignore a trip generator like Union because it mike actually be BUSY! lol... only in Toronto...the city that gives us a mish-mash hodge-podge of transit in Scarborough, the Sheppard Stubway, or Spadina and St. Clair "LRTs".

Back