Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Paragraphs are your friend. ;)

Really? How come they never send me birthday presents?

I think the reasoning is valid to a point, but trying to attach the full cost of necessary upgrades to a project that accounts, by TTC reasoning, for 20% of the increase in ridership is setting up the upgrades proposal for failure and may end up causing some heartache down the road when, say, Transit City ends up forcing some other sort of upgrade.

Now I am not saying you aren't right. You could be spot on in how this turns out:

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/01/30/8200081-sun.html

But I think the reasoning is sound enough. And Metrolinx knows that there's no way the TTC is going to agree to the extension without some cash for Yonge/Bloor. If that's going to be the case, there sure is going to be a lot of pressure on politicians of the various levels of governments to help the TTC meet it's conditions. Given that scenario it makes sense for Metrolinx not to waste cash upgrading Y/B and simply put that towards constructing a line that was on the books anyway.

Given that scenario it makes sense for Metrolinx not to waste cash upgrading Y/B and simply put that towards constructing a line that was on the books anyway.

Don't you see any danger in yet another round of "Wait, no, let's not do that. I have a better idea!" ?

I have a nagging feeling that there will be a tussle between the TTC and Metrolinx on which should be built first, and years later neither get built.

It was refreshing to see people chant "Yes we can" at Obama rallies.

The TTC's slogan should be "No we can't".

Does anyone want to start an actual DRL Advocacy group where we can meet (in person) or via phone/web chat to discuss? Maybe it would be easier to get this through if we form an official group? I'd love to be on the board of this if people are interested in starting one.

What's Metrolinx got to do with it?

They're the ones deciding the priorities right now. It all comes to down to how worthwhile Metrolinx thinks it is for the province to pitch in for a yonge/bloor refurb when that money could go to a line that was on the list.

I don't buy that it's an open and shut case on the DRL right now. If Toronto politicians have any cojones they will withold co-operation on the extension till the province and Metrolinx agree to move up the DRL.

They're the ones deciding the priorities right now. It all comes to down to how worthwhile Metrolinx thinks it is for the province to pitch in for a yonge/bloor refurb when that money could go to a line that was on the list.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you are saying that Metrolinx needs to be involved because, for the DRL to happen, Metrolinx needs to reallocate money away from some other project to the DRL. I had not understood that you intended this as a zero-sum equation (DRL, therefore not something else that has already been agreed on). Now I get it.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you are saying that Metrolinx needs to be involved because, for the DRL to happen, Metrolinx needs to reallocate money away from some other project to the DRL. I had not understood that you intended this as a zero-sum equation (DRL, therefore not something else that has already been agreed on). Now I get it.

No no. I don't mean this as a zero-sum game necessarily. That would be the worst case scenario for getting the DRL. In a more practical scenario (hopefully), Metrolinx could make the pitch to the province that accelerating spending on the DRL is better than spending money upgrading Yonge/Bloor. These days they are the agency that really controls policy and the purse strings. I think convincing them is the only way to get the DRL any time before 2020.

I started a discussion asking if anyone's interested in forming an actual in-person Downtown Line advocacy group over at the DRL Facebook Group.

C

Where is everyone?

No no. I don't mean this as a zero-sum game necessarily. That would be the worst case scenario for getting the DRL. In a more practical scenario (hopefully), Metrolinx could make the pitch to the province that accelerating spending on the DRL is better than spending money upgrading Yonge/Bloor. These days they are the agency that really controls policy and the purse strings. I think convincing them is the only way to get the DRL any time before 2020.

Easier said than done!

Hasn't a Bloor/Yonge refurb always been out of the question do to constraints by adjacent buildings such as the Bay?

Back