Toronto OnePark West | ?m | 13s | Daniels | Core Architects

Went through RP on my bike today. Even at 5 in the afternoon the neighbourhoods is foreboding and unpleasant. It seriously looks like a prison, and no volume of fresh paint on the buildings will change that. I can honestly say that, if condoized, no amount of improvements could ever raise the property values of RP North to the point where anyone who has a choice would choose to live there.

Socialized housing is not a fix-all. Private housing is not a fix-all.

Anyway, here's a couple pics...

rp1wp9.jpg

Including Dundas track reconstruction and ROCP:

rp2dc4.jpg

I disagree i think with the plans that i have heard and seen so far, things are looking up for Regent Park. It just may take a few years of it being a construction site for it to happen.

Seems that construction is moving along on this building in the picture, i think the concrete structure is pretty much complete when i checked a couple days ago.

Also found out the the one cole condo is beginning construction and they have set a tentative April 09 occupancy date.

Anyone know of any other planned developments in the area? Besides the Sobeys/Tim Hortons/RBC/Public Swimming Pool?

FYI - "What to do with Regent Park's Old Buildings?" National Post article Jan. 1, 2008. http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/toronto/archive/2008/01/01/what-to-do-with-regent-park-s-old-buildings-recycle-them-naturally.aspx

So, let me understand, they moved the people out, tore down the old buildings, are constructing new buildings, and moving the same people back in?

Does this make sense to anyone?

PEOPLE, not buildings make a neighborhood what it is! I'm sorry to sound like a ass, but if the same people are moved back in to newer, nicer buildings, it is only a matter of time before this new Regent Park is turned into a shit hole like the old Regent Park. Instead of drug dealers, whores and gangs lurking in dingy corners, they will be lurking in freshly painted corners.

Can someone explain the plan here? Are they planning a sort of mixed neighborhood spanning anywhere from upper middle class to assisted living/co-ops?

Can someone explain the plan here? Are they planning a sort of mixed neighborhood spanning anywhere from upper middle class to assisted living/co-ops?

They are not reproducing what was there. It will be a mixed income neighbourhood.

And they are getting rid of the "towers in the park" style buildings and putting in a proper street grid. That, along with the mixed incomes, will substantially change the area for the better.

I read somewhere that there was a study done of similar projects where they relocated people in order to bring them back and something like only 30% actually return because they eventually find new places to live or get comfortable where they are relocated or even, in the case of the elderly, die cause they can't handle the move.

So really its the governments backhanded way of getting a majority of these people out of the neighborhood. Which, sadly enough will most likely improve the neighborhood.

Yet the City has a waiting list of 65,000 people waiting for affordable housing. Something isn't working.

Well the buildings in North Regent Park is about 50 years old - replacing them is probably not going to be that much more expensive than maintenance at this stage (that's certainly true over at Don Mount Court as well). If by doing that one can correct the various historical mistakes, all the better.

There are some ongoing TCHC projects that go above and beyond replacing units lost - notably, Block 32 and 36 in the West Railway Lands (Cityplace area). West Don Lands is also slated to be St. Lawrence like with ~1200 affordable units. Keep in mind that there is not that much straight up funding for general affordable housing by either the province or the Feds.

AoD

I read somewhere that there was a study done of similar projects where they relocated people in order to bring them back and something like only 30% actually return because they eventually find new places to live or get comfortable where they are relocated or even, in the case of the elderly, die cause they can't handle the move.

So really its the governments backhanded way of getting a majority of these people out of the neighborhood. Which, sadly enough will most likely improve the neighborhood.

No, they're just trying not to build shiny new low income "ghettos" disconnected by design from the neighbourhood. If some former residents get comfortable where they are now, that doesn't sound too bad. But there are a lot of people waiting for low income housing and the project will do something about that.

Not very in depth, but interesting

PAGES OF THE PAST

Regent Park residents `happier, healthier'

Jan 19, 2008 04:30 AM

The story below appeared in the Toronto Daily Star on April 13, 1954, under the headline, "Regent Park residents found happier, healthier"

Regent Park inhabitants are in better health, their morale has improved, children are doing better at school, and a spirit of neighbourliness is developing.

These are among the findings of a comprehensive survey of Toronto's redevelopment project. A cross-section of Regent Park people were interviewed by Ileiena Toews, a public-health nurse and a post-graduate student in social work at the University of Toronto. She worked under the direction of Dr. Albert Rose, associate professor of social work at U of T.

Miss Toews interviewed 62 families in the project last autumn. They comprised 11 per cent of the 547 families then living in Regent Park, a percentage considered to give a satisfactory cross-section.

She also talked to 21 professional people, such as doctors, nurses, principals, teachers and social workers, who have contact with Regent Park. Tenants questioned had lived in their new accommodations an average of slightly under two years.

The survey revealed: common colds are less frequent for almost half the families; infectious diseases are less for exactly half; 31 of the 48 families with children have had less sickness since moving, while seven claimed more.

There was pneumonia among six of the families before moving, but there have been no cases since.

"Their husbands' heart conditions have improved, two women said; and four housewives, two of whom had previously had nervous breakdowns, said their nerves were much better. Those suffering from asthma, arthritis and rheumatism reported their conditions had improved.

Forty-three families said they were more contented than before, 10 were the same, six were less contented and three were unable to say.

Those less contented complained of: supervision by the Housing Authority, noise, the fact rents are scaled to income, loss of back yards they had with their own homes and the prohibition of pets.

Children's work habits at school and at home have improved, teachers reported.

Doctors observed that tenants showed a willingness to co-operate and better control of disease had resulted from teaching of improved isolation techniques. Persons who are ill improve more quickly, they found. An upsurge in morale was noted among the tenants who purchased better furniture than before and improved their living standard.

Miss Toews recommended a vigorous adult education program within the project to engender more community spirit and a ground-floor wing in each building for older tenants bothered by the noise of children.

"To ensure health for the whole nation," Miss Toews noted, "to bring about physical and mental well-being, and to reduce the enormous cost of caring for sickness, the problem of housing must be attacked by those who have the knowledge and the authority to do something about the problem."

Regent Park rose from the rubble of what was once the south part of the Cabbagetown neighbourhood.

During the 1930s, South Cabbagetown was one of Toronto's worst slums and as such was targeted by city planners for an urban renewal scheme called Regent Park.

Built in 1949 Regent Park holds the distinction of being Canada's first public housing project.

Regent Park was expanded in the 1950s to include the area south of Dundas St., which came to be known as Regent Park South.

for my community development class i am doing a project on Regent park, looking at the history of its development, how it functioned once development until recent history, and the plans for the re development of it, this all has to look at how the community is psychologically affected, does anyone have any recomendation of where to look for info ? thanks !

Try looking up:

Sewell, J. (1993). The shape of the city: Toronto struggles with modern planning. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.

Maclean, G. (Director). (1953). Farewell to Oak Street. Ottawa: National Film Board of Canada.

You should also take a close look at some of the materials from the revitalization project, such as the social development plan:

http://www.toronto.ca/revitalization/regent_park/

AoD

Back