Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

This is vibrant - attracting hundreds of people who either eat, work or live in the area - anxious to be there - to experience the area.

4349838127_1b5fa1f4e7_b.jpg

This is what Aura will bring to Gerrard area and what 1 bloor East or WEST Could bring to Yonge and Bloor.

4349871763_1f6eb055df_o.jpg

This isn't 'vibrant' it's 'busy'. Busy in the way that the giant pool deck was in the futuristic yet eerily familiar film 'Wall-E'. West Village, Meat Packing District, Yorkville, College Street. Those spots are vibrant dude.

Well, what I'm saying, dude, is that Yonge south of Bloor has been vibrancy-challenged lately - perhaps because the area got bulldozed. Bulldozing and vibrancy have been sworn enemies for as long as either can remember. The effect of bulldozing city blocks is so powerful, it can even reach across the street.

I'm also fairly confident that bulldozing the remaining falafel houses, restaurants, luggage stores and general retail riff-raff on that strip and putting in a flagship Bed Bath and Beyond - or maybe, if we're really lucky, Canada's first Applebee's! - will inspire any remaining vibrancy to climb to the top of the Manulife Centre and jump.

Last edited:
To the people who want to demolish Yonge St to replace with condos, please think about the parts of the city that are vibrant with lots of people traffic. They are invariably small scale lowrise areas that have been around for about 100 years. I think we've proven that we have difficulty creating vibrant new neighbourhoods. CityPlace, Maple Leaf Square, etc... pleasant enough, but dead streets. We have to preserve what we have, and it doesn't necessarily have to be about the quality of the architecture. We all know Yonge St is not an architectural marvel, but it works because it was designed at a time when streets were for more than just whizzing by in your car.

Isn't it possible to have both, though? I know that it rarely seems to happen in Toronto, but can't the “vibrant” retail space at the south west corner of Yonge & Bloor be replaced by tall residential buildings with equally vibrant/independent/interesting/numerous stores at the bottom? I went to New York for the first time last summer and was amazed to find countless tall buildings in dense, ostensibly-desirable areas, with numerous good, independent shops at the bottom. Whereas in Toronto I'm accustomed to ground-level retail in denser areas consisting of little other than banks, Starbucks, and Pizza Pizzas. Why can't we have density on top and non-chain store homogeneity on the bottom?

Well, what I'm saying, dude, is that Yonge south of Bloor has been vibrancy-challenged lately - perhaps because the area got bulldozed. Bulldozing and vibrancy have been sworn enemies for as long as either can remember. The effect of bulldozing city blocks is so powerful, it can even reach across the street.

I'm also fairly confident that bulldozing the remaining falafel houses, restaurants, luggage stores and general retail riff-raff on that strip and putting in a flagship Bed Bath and Beyond - or maybe, if we're really lucky, Canada's first Applebee's! - will inspire any remaining vibrancy to climb to the top of the Manulife Centre and jump.

I see, so Harvey's was a biiger draw than we all thought. Who knew?*

Anyway, what I*was suggesting was a complex with smaller shops and services - Bed and Bath was your idea and I agree that sort of retail is not going to make the area more vibrant - but I also don't think Money Mart does either nor does the bricked-in windows on the second floor of Stolllery's.

Isn't it possible to have both, though? I know that it rarely seems to happen in Toronto, but can't the “vibrant” retail space at the south west corner of Yonge & Bloor be replaced by tall residential buildings with equally vibrant/independent/interesting/numerous stores at the bottom? I went to New York for the first time last summer and was amazed to find countless tall buildings in dense, ostensibly-desirable areas, with numerous good, independent shops at the bottom. Whereas in Toronto I'm accustomed to ground-level retail in denser areas consisting of little other than banks, Starbucks, and Pizza Pizzas. Why can't we have density on top and non-chain store homogeneity on the bottom?

Because, as Jane Jacobs herself pointed out, you need old buildings for new uses. New buildings are expensive things, and the rents required to pay off mortgages are commensurately huge. New York is a city where a lot of the tall buildings are relatively ancient. But look at what occupies the podiums of new buildings in Toronto: the bias is overwhelmingly towards franchises and chain stores that are established brands, and therefore reliable tenants. That's why a mix of building ages is important to have in a neighborhood too.

I agree completely - it is done elsewhere, it could be done here.

I see, so Harvey's was a biiger draw than we all thought. Who knew?*

Anyway, what I*was suggesting was a complex with smaller shops and services - Bed and Bath was your idea and I agree that sort of retail is not going to make the area more vibrant - but I also don't think Money Mart does either nor does the bricked-in windows on the second floor of Stolllery's.

Hey! Don't speak ill of our departed Harvey's. Still a burger-shaped hole in my heart.

True, Money Marts aren't neighborhood lynchpins, of course. Or Harvey's. But remember that Roy Square was home to around 40 businesses and organisations. And for every iffy one, there was another that added to the neighborhood. Imagine the difference between having 40-odd different groups of a few employees each, and three or four large chain retail outlets, each with a small army of McEmployees.

Well, at least we're talking about the more ragged Bloor-to-Charles blockfront--imaging if Big Daddy were ragging on the Yorkville-to-Cumberland blockfront...

I quite agree with you – my favourite shopping area in the city is Yorkville, with all its intricate nooks and crannies – however – what we have on Yonge Street is definitely not that. Simply because the buildings are old and from a certain era, does not make them wonderful. What we have is “2 for 1 suits” at Stollery’s, Money Mart, Hue’s Kitchen, Sunrise Records and a sales centre for Uptown Condos. This isn’t “vibrant”, it’s a cheap retail strip you would see in any plaza in Scarborough.

4349175103_58ef68db3d_b.jpg

This could be vibrant with the right development – including small shops, restaurants with patios, the area of the actual intersection should have a plaza component, maybe a fountain, perhaps two or three stories of shops and stores overlooking this potentially amazing intersection. I believe the plaza element is a must as is the smaller retailers and areas for carts etc.

Look at Hullmark Centre – now that could be great provided they don’t simply put one large retailer to fill a large block of their retail.

Comparing this block (or most any block on Yonge from Bloor to College) to a common strip mall (or heaven forbid, any number of those big-box crimes) in Scarborough and elsewhere in the city or promoting blockbusting this strip for a Hullmark-type centre is offensive. The big boys on Bloor West, The Concourse/Manulife Centre and in Yorkville proper are a wonderful contrast to what can be found around the corner on downtown Yonge or at the beloved and vibrant Eaton Centre which is essentially a dead zone on the west side of Yonge from Dundas to Queen Street.

Urban Shocker wisely notes that rehabilitating many of the building fronts (not facadectomies) and improved signage is the key to rejuvenating much of downtown Yonge, combined with proposals such as 75 St. Nicholas Street and this brilliant proposal. Taking a wrecking ball and eliminating our past - in this case dozens of blocks offering visually pleasing and old, well used building stock which you are suggesting - so much of which has already been done in the last 50 years, is urban assault pure and simple. I'd also note that a huge lot sits empty on the south side of Wellesley Street just steps west of Yonge Street (about 45 seconds from a downtown subway station) where a 9 and 10 storey waste of space is being proposed is just begging for true intensification, yet few seemed concerned. None of this makes any reasonable sense to me. Take a good look at some fine examples of rejuvenated buildings on the east side of Yonge from Dundas Square to Queen Street, there's some great inspiration that can be drawn from this illustrating what parts of downtown Yonge is capable of.

Once One Bloor East is up and running this area will naturally evolve and I'm confident will improve visually, hopefully by rehabilitation, not by destruction and these buildings can continue to be enjoyed for generations to come. I expect similar life to be reborn at the Yonge and Gerrard area once Aura becomes established.

Now let's observe this area a little closer at street level and take an alternative lesson in urban bliss versus the all too common sterile and unresponsive retail areas that are littered throughout the city

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Now if you would, imagine these buildings cleaned up with improved signage and with one or two apartment or office buildings scattered in behind such as, or similar, to the 606-618 Yonge Street/St.Joseph/St. Nicholas Sts. project through I'm concerned parking would be a major obstacle on this particular block.

Last edited:
A good first step in bringing back Yonge Street would be the refurbishment of the building fronts and the elimination of the vast acres of tacky signage, advertising, and garish paint jobs covering them. Big Daddy's photo indicates how badly the merchants have degraded the architecture - with the exception of that red brick building with contrasting trim. Much of the surviving run of old commercial buildings extending south like a ribbon along Yonge from Bloor to around King is from that era, and has a strong identity and a flow to it that the intervening towers interrupt but haven't destroyed. Or, at least, I think it's an identity that could be brought back by stressing the common and collective identity of that heritage by cleaning up the fronts and requiring the merchants to respect the architecture. And as the nearbye Nicholas Residences suggest, and other high rise condo developments by our better architects show, we can insert new towers with old buildings quite nicely to enhance what's there.

I don't disagree but I'm suprised by your post. You usually find visual appeal to this kind of organic urban clutter, no?

I have to say I kind of like Yonge the way it is, a little spiffing up here and there, around Yonge/dundas, Yonge/Bloor, Yonge/College and Yonge/Front make sense obviously but I think I would miss the unkempt tawdriness in between that gave Yonge its character from Queen to Bloor.

Throughout its length Yonge offers a good summary experience of the city as a whole and its vibrancy is unequalled in Toronto because it changes character so often and so fast, from block to block, almost defying definition, and this I find interesting.

I'm not the first to say this, but making Yonge from Bloor to Queen a Fußgänger or pedestrian only zone would, to me, be a great planning decision. Cross street traffic would still have to be permitted, but just banned on Yonge. Anchored by One Bloor at the top (let's stay on topic here) and the Eaton Centre at the bottom, I think it would provide for the public plazas that many seem to want, allow for bistros and cafes to have large outdoor patios, provide incentive to shops and restuarants to refurbish their exteriors, and provide the desired vibrancy . . . maybe we could even squeeze in a few more Harveys.

Yonge south of Bloor could use wider sidewalks/bike lanes/greenery so I wouldn't mind a reduction in traffic lanes but I wouldn't want to see cars removed altogether. They add to the hustle and bustle of the street.

making Yonge from Bloor to Queen a Fußgänger or pedestrian only zone would, to me, be a great planning decision

They shut the street down back in the 70's for a few years. It was not a success.

Back