Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Spire:

Indeed - well said - I am much more confident in the abilities of Hariri Pontarini than the architect of the previous proposals.

AoD

LOL! I obviously never said that I thought the market crash was caused by a friggin' skyscraper... I never meant anything of the sort since that statement makes... well.. no sense at all. It was quite the other way around.

Like it or not, you stated:

SP!RE said:
But I'm just saying, if the market didn't allow for 1 Bloor to be so tall, then... well... it shouldn't. That's unrealistic, unsustainable, etc. etc.

And in doing so implied that there was something in particular about 1BE which either contributed to the crash or caused it to suffer in ways other buildings didn't. The statement does indeed make little sense but you're the one who said it and instead of getting all huffy you could articulate further what you meant, or how I (and others) misinterpreted it.

Also, the quote about Number One Bloor being "just another Toronto skyscraper" is being taken too far. People are running with it. It might be inaccurate entirely (or a marketing surprise the developer has up their sleeve) or simply an unimportant detail so early in the process.

Yeah, I am running with it because instead of hinting at future greatness, GG has chosen the Balsillie route whereby in lieu of engaging people directly, one goes on a wild, circumventing goose-chase before anyone can figure out what the original intentions are/were.

Pick your battles. I have no idea where you even got the idea to argue with me about statements I made that are hardly material to debate. I still can't believe you even suggested that I would think 1 Bloor East caused a market crash. That's... friggin hilarious to be honest.

Pick my battles? You can't possibly be reading the previous two posts with which you are taking so much umbrage correctly, for I consistently state that I had/have nothing against you, so much as your and others willingness to accept Canada as being second rate. You even continue this asinine line of reasoning below...

Canada is Canada. I can accept the way we operate and I think it's strange that it upsets you so much. I have travelled alot, spent time living in very different places at times, and Canada by comparison seems pretty functional to me. Slow, steady progress in a conservative fashion is fine for me. And that's my opinion, which you won't be regulating. Approaching any culture takes a sense of humour and humility.

What a statement. Here's what I get from that:

Canada is Canada. We're fine doing things beige. I've been all over the world and no one does mediocre like Canada. Conservatism, blah, blah, Blah, functional, blah, slow, blah, steady...

And the fact that you had to state that I could not 'regulate your opinion' makes you come off like Sean Hannity.

This is a ridiculous argument though, and a waste of bandwidth. We'll have to wait for the renderings I guess, then be underwhelmed when the finished product doesn't even meet those standards.

Wow, pages and pages of complaining and bickering...and no proposal yet. I can't wait for the new renderings. ;)

Wow, pages and pages of complaining and bickering...and no proposal yet. I can't wait for the new renderings. ;)

I agree. Everyone should take a deep breath, ignore the press releases (which usually mangle quotes) and wait. Great Gulf has raised the bar architecturally in the city since Saint James and there's no reason to believe their committment to design excellence will not continue.

WTf* honestly....50 60 tower at this location??? how stupid would that be? no matter how good the material would be....this location is more then prime and needs a building that is WAY more then just "prime".
BUILD SOMETHING BIG AND AMAZING!!!!!
toronto developments have been good but deff not amazing.
well lets see this new LAME idea they are going to have.

I agree. Everyone should take a deep breath, ignore the press releases (which usually mangle quotes) and wait. Great Gulf has raised the bar architecturally in the city since Saint James and there's no reason to believe their committment to design excellence will not continue.

Exactly. Everyone's getting worked up because of an off-hand comment.

It might not be as tall as we'd like, but we can be sure that it will be well designed and executed, just like most other towers GG has built. This is an opportunity for them to really make a statement as a highrise builder in Toronto, so I don't expect them to half-ass it.

Last edited:
Time-out!

Two blank, purple painted signs have been erected on the north east and west corners of the Number One Bloor site. Also, in the past week (perhaps 8-9 days) all 1BE banners have finally been removed along Yonge Street. Mmmm bye-bye...

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Exactly. Everyone's getting worked up because of an off-hand comment.

It might not be as tall as we'd like, but we can be sure that it will be well designed and executed, just like most other towers GG has built. This is an opportunity for them to really make a statement for them as a highrise builder in Toronto, so I don't expect them to half-ass it.

I hope you're right. At this location, this building should be a landmark, not just another ok building. The taller, the better.

^^^ yes, I was about to say the same...
3952369426_c11054b540_o.jpg

this is my guess .... but i think the first hint to the project is the colour of the boards.

there's definitely going to be some association with purple ... ;)

There is leak information about the height of Number one Bloor. Someone asked a construction foreman at X-condo building which GG is the current the developer, how tall it will be number one bloor tower. as he did not want to unveil floor plan but he hints the tower will stood 56 storeys including 8 floor of podium he also added GG is working now the new design of building

Back