Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

What's so "populist" about the design. Most of the people on this thread don't find this building so popular. :)

Compared to the other two examples of their work I gave this is HP in full hep cat Big Hair mode. I'm surprised they didn't put photographic floral prints all over the windows as well. They're reeely trying hard here.

OnebloorRend4-Mar10.jpg

Also, you will notice the typical Yorkville shoppers who are texting and strolling on a yellow light as they cross Bloor. The people on the south side are just starting to cross and the light is clearly YELLOW. This is the most accurate render I have ever seen. LOL LOL

:p

renderFAIL?

Shouldn't lose sight of the fact that this a residential development. At the end of the day - the designers are at the hands of the developer - and you can't lose sight of the fact that they are in it for one reason - to make money. A developer is not going to waste money on a building that they walk away from at the end of the day. This could be the cheapest building in the world - and they would still sell every unit in the place because of the location. There are so many bad examples of development in the city - If this went up on any other corner - it would receive nothing but praise. I applaud Great gulf and HP for trying to set a higher standard of development in toronto.

Seams to at least maintain a few elements from the Bazis proposal in terms of the podium while continuing with the 'wavey glass'

Its nice, and the kitchens look GORGEOUS!

That pretty much sums it up.

Though I'm beginning to wonder if anything will ever b e good enough for this site.

And I'm wondering why people still believe Michael Gold's promotional push that Y & B is the crossroads of the world ("best intersection in Canada"?). Yes, two subway lines meet here (they also meet at St. George). Yes, Yonge St. is our Main Street. Yes, Bloor St. is our High-end Fashion St. (at least for two blocks west of here). So? It's a good site, but it's not the centre of the universe, and I believe that a developer-driven residential building would probably never meet the expectations of some of our colleagues on this forum.

Personally, as an aside, I believe that the "sleeper" of the year is the Ritz-Carlton, a stunning building in a location that certainly no one could consider "centre-ice". We should be striving for design excellence in all locations and not lose all sense of proportion on 1BE.

Also, you will notice the typical Yorkville shoppers who are texting and strolling on a yellow light as they cross Bloor. The people on the south side are just starting to cross and the light is clearly YELLOW. This is the most accurate render I have ever seen. LOL LOL

:p

Perhaps it's about to switch to the scramble crossing cycle, in which case they can walk wherever they please.

Perhaps it's about to switch to the scramble crossing cycle, in which case they can walk wherever they please.

Perhaps but this render depicts a PRE-Scramble intersection, with zebra stripes for crosswalks, not the yellow hash pattern of the scramble.

And while we're talking about that render... What's with the chick with the coffee? She's not even walking and she is staring off in the distance.

;)

Reminds me of Shangri-la although it could be just how they depicted the rendering. Looks decent to me. It is a lot better than the last version and I like how the podium staggers back to allow more sunlight to reach street level. Question is why would anyone want to buy here given the last flop?

The last version flopped for many reasons. But Great Gulf is well-known and respected. I have no doubt this will get built.

Reminds me of Shangri-la although it could be just how they depicted the rendering. Looks decent to me. It is a lot better than the last version and I like how the podium staggers back to allow more sunlight to reach street level. Question is why would anyone want to buy here given the last flop?

The last "one" didnt "flop", it was a victim of the financial meltdown that was - and is - a big problem to a lot of major lenders.

On another note, I can't help but wonder why they decided to stop at 65 floors when clearly the sky was the limlit here. These units will sell very fast. Heck, I'd like to own one this close to Yonge/Bloor and Yorkville.

If you are a major developer and you score an amazing site that had already secured significant density with virtually no opposition, why wouldnt you maximize the site? It's safe - nothing sexy about "safe".

Back