1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 376     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 955     1 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Great to see! There is a gaping lack of Danforth ice cream options between Pape and Woodbine.

There is actually an icecream place west of Woodbine, just off Danforth, on Woodmount, which actually serves Kawartha Dairy.

The knock would be limited hours/seasonal closure.

Ohyo Spree at Yonge and Gerrard across from Concord Sky on March 27, 2024:

IMG_2359.jpeg
IMG_2360.jpeg
IMG_2361.jpeg
IMG_2362.jpeg
IMG_2363.jpeg
IMG_2364.jpeg
IMG_2365.jpeg
IMG_2366.jpeg
IMG_2367.jpeg
IMG_2368.jpeg
IMG_2369.jpeg
IMG_2370.jpeg
IMG_2371.jpeg
IMG_2372.jpeg
IMG_2373.jpeg

It competes with Octo Zone located on Yonge between Dundas and Shuter.

What is up with all these Asian snack and gift shops? First Sukoshi Mart and now Octo Zone.

Correlating with the influx of demographics. Many of the condo tenants scattered through downtown but often concentrated around the Bay and Yonge corridors are students of U of T or TMU. Or young adults who moved from the suburbs or elsewhere and now live downtown to be closer to work or whatever.

Correlating with the influx of demographics. Many of the condo tenants scattered through downtown but often concentrated around the Bay and Yonge corridors are students of U of T or TMU. Or young adults who moved from the suburbs or elsewhere and now live downtown to be closer to work or whatever.
Don't forget that Octo Zone and Ohyo Spree (and similar Japanese-style merchandiser arcades) are also popular with East Asian tourists visiting Toronto, hence all the signage in Chinese characters (though with some Hiragana and Katakana on the toys' packaging as many of the toys are from popular Japanese media franchises). Plenty come for the plush toys and/or the figurines.

Don't forget that Octo Zone and Ohyo Spree (and similar Japanese-style merchandiser arcades) are also popular with East Asian tourists visiting Toronto, hence all the signage in Chinese characters (though with some Hiragana and Katakana on the toys' packaging as many of the toys are from popular Japanese media franchises). Plenty come for the plush toys and/or the figurines.
And not just East Asians as these products are popular with everyone. For example I bought one of those really big, obnoxious stuffed characters as a key chain finder.

Don't forget that Octo Zone and Ohyo Spree (and similar Japanese-style merchandiser arcades) are also popular with East Asian tourists visiting Toronto, hence all the signage in Chinese characters
I don't get that mentality. You travel all the way to another continent to a totally different culture...only to seek out stuff that's commonly seen back home? That makes no sense to me. When I travel abroad, the very last thing I want to see is something typically Canadian. I want to immerse myself in a culture I'm not familiar with.

Back