Toronto Nicholas Residences | ?m | 35s | Urban Capital | Core Architects

Excerpt of proposal description from City report:

"The proposed development is a 44-storey, 137-metre high, residential condominium tower containing 352 units. The building has a 4-storey podium along St. Mary Street frontage and a 2-storey podium along St. Nicholas Street frontage containing townhouse units. The tower portion is shaped in a “figure-eight”, with the wider portion being located on the southern end of the site...."

A sign just went up outside Regis College, the occupant of the building at the corner of St. Nicholas & St. Mary St. It says they are vacating the premises in Sept. 09 and moving over to Queens Park & Wellesley.

65/67 St. Nicholas Community Consultation

The Community Consultation has been set
Tuesday November 4th @ St. Joseph's girls School
74 Wellesley Street West 7 - 9 pm.

Please attend if you are interested in stopping this condo.
This is our chance to pack the gym and let Kyle Rae, the developer (Urban Capital) City Planner Melanie Melnyk hear that we think a 44 storey condo on a quiet street like St. Nicholas is RUBBISH!!!

savestnick@gmail.com

Yes we must all go, and speak up for dear Mr. Peanut and the logical process of intensification along transit corridors that his arrival augurs.

I love how people move into a neighbourhood, and then when others come they complain against all forms of new development as if their presence was acceptable but anyone else moving in would make the area a hell hole.

The Community Consultation has been set
Tuesday November 4th @ St. Joseph's girls School
74 Wellesley Street West 7 - 9 pm.

Please attend if you are interested in stopping this condo.
This is our chance to pack the gym and let Kyle Rae, the developer (Urban Capital) City Planner Melanie Melnyk hear that we think a 44 storey condo on a quiet street like St. Nicholas is RUBBISH!!!

savestnick@gmail.com

Looks like the perfect area for intensification to me.

nic.jpg

Doesn't look very quiet to me either.

It is quiet. Yonge and Bay are the busy corridors. St. Nicholas is a street that many choose to walk or cycle down. There is an 1880s Mill that they are proposing to demolish.

For those that know the street, I think they will agree.

We think that between major roads there should be some respite.

It is a quiet street, and the current scale and tone is very relaxing in comparison to Bay or Yonge, but there's something about the all-important west elevation that I think works. Everything on the ground floor looks well-scaled, and if anything the height of the tower might serve to buttress the feeling of cozy urban enscapsulation on St. Nicholas.

St. Nicholas actually is rather quiet - it may not look that way on the maps.live.com air photo, but it does look that way on the street itself. You can often stroll down the middle of the street without having to jump out of the way of traffic.

That said, something bigger than what is there now could work at the north end of the block... but 44 storeys? I don't know about that. Reasonable intensification of a particular site does not necessarily mean allowing whatever a developer wants: up on Wellesley East of Yonge, the buildings looking to build beside 22 have been knocked down quite a bit, and I think this one is destined to be brought down too. Across St. Nicholas from the existing 24 floor 60s building, I can see something around 26 to 28 floors being appropriate. More than that and you open the rest of the area for buildings that would box in the Victorians here.

I see the St Michaels type agreement here. The city is evolving, and a tower like this near transit is good. Intensification is good.

I can see something around 26 to 28 floors being appropriate. More than that and you open the rest of the area for buildings that would box in the Victorians here.

I think the area would be better served with a small footprint 44 storey modern point tower than a chunky 25-28 storey building similar to what has been build west of this site.Unless these victorians are heritage properties i cant see them being around past the next decade.Sooner or later some developer with big bucks will also scoop them up and build up.

Back