Toronto Murano | ?m | 45s | Lanterra | a—A

Balconies still appear to be in use on the south side of the north tower despite at least one glass blow-out that I could spot, good progress is being made on the north side with much of the glass and balcony frames removed. The east portion of sidewalk on Bay between Grenville & Grosvenor is now completely closed to pedestrians and the street and sidewalks on Grosvenor from Bay over to just before the Coroner's Building remain closed.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I was just catching up on CityNews at 6 on the PVR and they did a piece on Murano. The CityTV reporter claims that they are replacing the balcony glass systems on both towers costing millions. The Lanterra representative made a similar claim.

Here's the video piece from tonight - http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/videos/146544

As Mies said, "the devil is in the details".

I'd like to know where he said this. Do you have a reference?

Mies was obsessed with details, and said GOD is in the details... as a COUNTERPOINT to the often-said "the devil is in the details".

there is a small part of the railing anchor which, when the wind blows and the glass deflects, is tapped by the deflecting glass; when the amplitude of the wind and glass reach a critical pitch, and the glass touches the anchor, the glass shatters.
This has happened since the beginning ....... a bad detail.....

Sounds like a terrible detail - one of the easiest ways to get a piece of glass to shatter is by tapping it in the corner. I'd like to see photos of this - do any of the condo owners have an image?

Actually, it's a ludicrous point. We are not picking and choosing any developers to protect as we are not "protecting" any of them.

i won't belabour the issue beyond the following statement: people have been expressing opinion(s) based on incomplete evidence on urbantoronto.ca for years; this is the very definition of speculation (which doesn't seem to be favoured in this particular thread regarding the unfortunate shattering of glass).

anyways, i suspect Lanterra will resolve the issue properly and take measures to reduce the chances of this ever happening again. eyes are on the developer, some of which are rightfully skeptical.

Also heard that the same thing (window falling - not the technical aspect of how it is actually falling) happening at the TIFF lightbox condos?

I am thinking the breaking glass has something to do with the weather and a contrast in temperatures.

Perhaps the panels were made in China and are flawed.

muaranoaug4.jpg

^^ Correction: The condo corporation should not have to pay. Lanterra should be paying.

Back