Toronto Murano | ?m | 45s | Lanterra | a—A

I must agree the building turned out much better then any thought.
And Burano would be a great complement accross the street.

Excellent photos!

I like how the coloured glass portion seems to "float" above the normal glass of the podium below it.

Thanks! When I took these pictures it was the first time I went up to the parking garage to see Murano from above the hoarding. The coloured glass looks really cool but it will be interesting to see what the finished podium looks like once the construction hoarding is gone. The "floating" colour ribbon of glass might really stand out or might look awkward. Probably the former.

Either way, does any know how/if they plan to clad the vertical columns that run down the podium floor? Hopefully they will not remain bare concrete but I can't imagine brick would look any better.

What is that building in the background between the Murano towers in the second pic with the massive pinkish-beige blank wall? I've always wondered about it.

that building would be the Province's Coroners Office + Court for the Toronto Region @ 15 Grosvenor Street

Either way, does any know how/if they plan to clad the vertical columns that run down the podium floor? Hopefully they will not remain bare concrete but I can't imagine brick would look any better.

I imagine they will use the same material they used on the tower sections that are not glass-- grey panelling, in other words.

The concrete looks great though.

Actually, those are dutchmen, and they're temporarily pressing the glass into the caulking while it cures. Once the caulking cures they're removed and the butt joints will be caulked with a finished show bead (probably black, I would imagine).

If there was a finished snap cap trim being installed they would've just installed pressure pads and done the trim at the same time, instead of using the temps.

And the mullions have already been installed, it would basically be impossible to have the glass there without them.

Is that what is also on the podium for RBC Centre?

You mean the George Drew? Architect B.G. Ludlow & Fleury, 1975.

Fleury, as in Eric Arthur's old partner?

It's kind of like Toronto's answer to the Adam Clayton Powell State Office Building in Harlem--70s government-bureaucracy high-rise brutalism at its purest...

28976329.jpg

Is that what is also on the podium for RBC Centre?

I don't know where on the RBC podium you're talking about, but probably not. You'd only need dutchmen if the curtainwall wasn't preglazed, but I'm pretty sure RBC was. I believe RBC has louvres being installed in front of the glass all along the podium tho, so maybe what you're seeing are the attachment points for those, but again, not really sure, would need to see a picture

I think Bill's office is in a 60s midrise down the street (at least it was when I visited NYC back in 2001)

Back