Toronto Monde | 149.95m | 44s | Great Gulf | Moshe Safdie

I think that's for the elevator pit, not the crane. You can actually see the base for the crane already installed in the picture above. It's the grey frame bolted in to the rebar toward the left of the photo, beside the blue ladder that's leaning up against the wall. Unless that's a base for a concrete pump and the crane's base is still to come

04efa01f-d260-41e3-9cf8-2b8bbf642a5c_zpsq4iigb6n.jpg

608d6dbd-bff0-49a3-b122-8f44cd395e5b_zpsltyiwcst.jpg

What is going to fill the space between Daniels' Arts project and Monde? I dont think I've seen a proposal and nothing appears on the project map.

those are the Fed Ex lands. They are in the process of building a new building in the portlands, which they will presumably move to and redevelop their current location.

Awesome shots, thanks for posting. Man, QQ is just begging for a Waterfront LRT. I've been disheartened by the degree to which it seems to have taken a backseat to other projects in the recent transit reset/15-year plan.

When you look at those photos, and consider the 215 Lake Shore site, the LCBO lands, and all the new residential in various stages of progress, it really makes one wonder when A) The Loblaw site is put up for sale (it could of course be contingent upon a Loblaw store anchoring a new development) and B) Redpath finally caves and agrees to move—the latter I think could be the last remaining underdeveloped stretch of land in that image in 15-20 years.

I gather Redpath has been insistent that they have no plans to move, but everyone of course has a price.

…and provides lots of good jobs. I'm tempted to say 'intrude away!', but what is actually intruding here? It's not Redpath. They've been around here longer than any neighbour.

…and provides lots of good jobs. I'm tempted to say 'intrude away!', but what is actually intruding here? It's not Redpath. They've been around here longer than any neighbour.

It's intrusion by occupation though, right? It kills any sense of flow along the water's edge—its removal would create a near unabridged waterfront from basically Harbourfront Community Centre through to the Keating Channel.

It's also just the ultimate vibrancy-killer. And I've never seen an expose on the area, but I'm sure it's a disaster from an environmental standpoint.

It's intrusion by occupation though, right? It kills any sense of flow along the water's edge—its removal would create a near unabridged waterfront from basically Harbourfront Community Centre through to the Keating Channel.

It's also just the ultimate vibrancy-killer. And I've never seen an expose on the area, but I'm sure it's a disaster from an environmental standpoint.

It has potential though. I've been to it during Doors Open when the public actually gets to experience the facility and learn about the process sugar cane goes through to become sugar. It's a neat tour and could be an interesting attraction on the waterfront if done right. I do agree that it kills the flow along the water's edge, however, there are ways to improve the flow while maintaining the facility and keeping it operational. It just takes some creative thinking.

I think the place holds a lot more potential than people think, and can actually work well with the vision for the waterfront. I mean, where else do you get to watch a large freighter unload? That in itself is a unique experience you can't get anywhere else on the central waterfront. Might as well formalize it and turn it into an attraction while it still exists.

Redpath is there to remind us that Toronto was built by industry, and retains some connection to that sturdy reality. And consider this: if it weren't for Redpath bringing in ocean vessels carrying raw sugar, there would be nothing to see in the central harbour area but excursion boats, circling around each other so that people can watch each other going around in circles on excursion boats.

Back