Toronto Mirvish Village (Honest Ed's Redevelopment) | 85.04m | 26s | Westbank | Henriquez Partners

As much as I too think Avenue mid-rises is the direction we should really try going for in most of the city, this location is an underdeveloped node on the edge of downtown and this is perfectly suitable plan.

Bloor already has a subway line, and it is no accident that Bathurst is next up to get the new streetcars AND was the first (along with Dufferin? can't quite remember) bus route to get the new articulated buses.

Development of similar height and density would extend on Bathurst all the way to Queen West.
Bathurst st is utterly embarrassing.

I doubt it too. She wasn't for block-busting, super-projects, etc. It was all about re-use for her. Old buildings, new purposes and all that.

Though isn't this project kind of the opposite of blockbusting? Setting aside my pet peeve about how that term has been recycled to refer to any large scale development, this project seems to be doing the opposite of blockbusting.

It's taking a large, basically big box store which dominates most of the current site and 'opening it up' with more street presence. The street presences in the new site plan look far more fine grained that the current site and much more 'organic' (even if it isn't).

Though isn't this project kind of the opposite of blockbusting? Setting aside my pet peeve about how that term has been recycled to refer to any large scale development, this project seems to be doing the opposite of blockbusting.

It's taking a large, basically big box store which dominates most of the current site and 'opening it up' with more street presence. The street presences in the new site plan look far more fine grained that the current site and much more 'organic' (even if it isn't).

Nope - it wasn't like the site is going to get severed into smaller, independently owned lots and then developed (though blockbusting is in and on itself inaccurate in this case)

AoD

Nope - it wasn't like the site is going to get severed into smaller, independently owned lots and then developed (though blockbusting is in and on itself inaccurate in this case)

AoD

Even if there's no severance though the effect of the proposal is to create many smaller retail frontages. Plus with a new path between Bloor and the proposed public market, as well as new retail over the site, it seems like there's much more room for movement across the site than there currently is. So, true, the proposal isn't 'organic' in any real sense, but it seems like it would do a good job of mimicking an organic streetscape.

Even if there's no severance though the effect of the proposal is to create many smaller retail frontages. Plus with a new path between Bloor and the proposed public market, as well as new retail over the site, it seems like there's much more room for movement across the site than there currently is. So, true, the proposal isn't 'organic' in any real sense, but it seems like it would do a good job of mimicking an organic streetscape.

Blockbusting has a very specific meaning (i.e. a development tactic that involves the purchasing extant buildings, neglect them and/or renting them to 'undesirables' to depress local land value and enabling consolidation), and this project isn't the opposite of that, so it really shouldn't be considered in such terms. A fine-grained development is something else entirely.

AoD

Last edited:
If this proposal makes it through in some shape or form resembling this, I hope it sets a precedent for future projects in the area to continue these laneways / mews.

Am I right in assuming that about half of the old homes on Markham Street will have to be torn down? That's what it looks like, from the model in the video. I like this development, especially adding the open market but I'd hate to lose any of the old homes on Marham. I do like how the retail is done along Bloor and Bathurst.

It looks to me, that only the front of the houses are being kept while the rear half of the houses are demolished. Basing this on the peaks of the roofs ending with the start of the new building, so basically only keeping facades. I'm not very happy with that result and hope it is reworked but do like the overall proposal.

I finally found the free time to explore this proposal and I must say I am impressed. This is the kind of new urbanism that we should be promoting in North American cities, and more pertinently, WestBank has managed to encapsulate a uniquely Torontonian brand of complex and messy urbanism into this project.

This along with The Well project at Spadina and Wellington have really got me excited.

Last edited:
Perhaps, though i caution against the use of the term 'messy urbanism' in Toronto. It's one thing implying an organic and diverse evolution of the urban fabric but entirely another when it is used to justify listing hydro poles covered in staples, broken sidewalks, patchy parks, and the general thread-bare state of our public realm.

The micro retail has really caught my eye. Can you guys imagine all the untapped talent in Toronto taking advantage of this?

I finally found the free time to explore this proposal and I must say I am impressed. This is the kind of new urbanism that we should be promoting in North American cities, and more pertinently, WestBank has managed to encapsulate a uniquely Torontonian brand of complex and messy urbanism into this project.

This along with The Well project at Spadina and Wellington have really got me excited.

You're the second person I've heard say this. In what way do you think the proposal is the proposal "uniquely Toronto"?

Mind that I'm not disagreeing with you. This proposal definitely feels like it was made for Toronto, in a way that I can't quite put my finger on.

I also agree that we should be doing more to encourage these kinds of developments. Perhaps some changes to the municipal building standards?

While it isn't uniquely Toronto, the city has traditionally had narrow street frontages for both residential and commercial buildings. That resulted in Victorian neighbourhoods with a variety of facades that are interesting to take in when walking along the sidewalk. The project's multiple narrow facades recall the traditional narrow frontages of the Victorian city of Toronto. Wider facades can be monotonous to walk by.

This development actually takes into account the type of built environment people enjoy walking near and enjoy being in, and attempts to create one, which is amazing.

- Many narrow storefronts instead of a huge glass wall with one massive store.
- Public market that invites you to walk in and explore.
- Variations in height & style, yet they have an overall theme, and they create a nice facade/wall together.

This is the first time in a while I've seen a condo development do a really good job making the place enjoyable to be in. I love it.

Back