Toronto Media Centre

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this?!
IMG_2103.png
IMG_2102.png
IMG_2101.png

The *almost* windows-free volumes ought to make for some interesting uses (and no, this isn't meant to be praise at this point - particularly when considering the locale as an asset)

AoD

Not particularly impressed.

I searched this online, and what amounts to a simplifed press release a few renders are easy enough to find but little in the way of how the concept originated, what level of thought it was given or how it would function.

On purely aethetic grounds, that would be a 'no' from me; and in the absence of any compelling reason to consider it through another lense, I'll stick w/that verdict.

That is why I posted it here as it could be anything. But it is interesting to see that wood is being sculpted in such a way!

All that comes to mind is this quote from this article that was linked in the neoclassical architecture thread a few days ago:

In fact, everyday good architecture should not even be about the building, it should be about the people. If the building isn’t intended as some kind of public monument or centerpiece, it shouldn’t draw much attention to itself. Frank Gehry is a wanton violator of this rule: when he decided to design homes for the Lower Ninth Ward in post-Katrina New Orleans, he created a discordant batch of hyper-contemporary houses that “riffed” on the region’s traditional vernacular architecture. Rather than being concerned to give people comfortable houses that fit in with their surroundings and suited the preferences of the residents, Gehry designed houses that screamed for attention and were fundamentally about themselves rather than about the people of the city he ostensibly cared about. Good buildings recede seamlessly into their surroundings; Gehry’s blare like an industrial klaxon. Similarly, when a building like Peter Cook and Colin Fournier’s Kunsthaus in Austria (the building at the top of this article) is placed in the middle of an old village, the entire fabric of the village is disrupted. The Kunsthaus (a representative example of “blobitecture”) cannot coexist peacefully with the things surrounding it, because it’s impossible to stop looking at it. Like the streaker at the football game, the building parades in front of us with such vulgar shamelessness that no amount of willpower can peel our eyes away.

All that comes to mind is this quote from this article that was linked in the neoclassical architecture thread a few days ago:

It's laughable they used the Hospital de Sant Pau in Barcelona as an example - considering the building by Lluís Domènech i Montaner is now basically a art gallery/museum and the hospital had moved to a modern building just like the one they decried. I haven't even gotten to the point of the interior of that modernisme hospital - which - while fascinating and beautiful - are all wards.

AoD

Last edited:

Back