Toronto MEC Queen Street (Mountain Equipment Coop) | 21.03m | 3s | Parallax | Sweeny &Co

^In an ideal world I agree, more parking should be placed underground (if possible) in an effort to eliminate on-street parking on major downtown thoroughfares. I'll go even one step further, that on-street parking could be replaced with wider sidewalks and/or separated bike lanes. The cheaper alternative to that would be lining the back of retail shops with parking (as is already done on certain portions of Queen Street and even Bloor Street). But that's just ambitious thinking, something we dont go for in Toronto.

In any case, the underground Green P parking is pretty much only positive thing that came out of this development.

This building should have been red brick like the Black Bull across the street. That would fit into the streetscape and be more of an HQ vibe than cheap suburban yellow. Looking down Bulwer - is there an uglier street in Toronto?

You'll all get a kick out of this...

Capture.JPG

I agree, and for sure, MEC needs to be told that...
As was asked before, if you are just going to agree, please just hit the 'Like' button and forgo adding another post.

I'd suggest some retweets and others responding too. It's probably too late to change anything, but they should at least be made aware that it isn't acceptable.

Oh, it’s never too late. I’m maybe probably planning on maybe perhaps conducting guerrilla ivy planting. No, I’m not. Maybe.

(It’ll make so much sense when Mountain Co-Op is a literal urban forest. They’ll later thank whoever did it. Not me).

Oh, it’s never too late. I’m maybe probably planning on maybe perhaps conducting guerrilla ivy planting. No, I’m not. Maybe.

(It’ll make so much sense when Mountain Co-Op is a literal urban forest. They’ll later thank whoever did it. Not me).

MEC's stores usually aren't in downtowns. Most of their stores are located in the suburbs or outer parys of the city, but yeah, it still doesn't gives them the excuse to build a non/urban design in the heart of downtown Toronto,

Anyone who has ever shopped at MEC is a member of the Co-op. We should have a say on what the building looks like. I like the ivy planting idea!

I got the exact same reply when responding to you.

Their boilerplate response is going to hurt them every time they post it because it can be easily contradicted by posting a photo of the piece of shit they built. It doesn’t look green, nor does it exude energy and it absolutely doesn’t reflect community with its monolithic windowless brick walls.

Got a response from MEC:

- The street level windows will be opened. They won’t be covered with ads.

- MEC is commiting to listening to the community and improving the presence of the building in the neighbourhood. They’ll consider the suggestions of a green wall on the Soho side.

- There’ll be a 1000 sq/ft bouldering wall inside.

Here’s their public response:

7653632E-ED11-4C28-8B4A-0081B2A0845F.jpeg

Last edited:

Back