Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

That's it, I'm moving to someplace safer, like Winnepeg, Hamilton, or Vancouver. Or heck, maybe I'll move out of the super dangerous Big City and live in the country.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ntre-sows-fear-in-a-safe-city/article4227216/

Jane Creba shooting here in 2005.

It is truly the root of ignorance, immaturity and low intelligence to take a comment such as mine which relates to concern over the safety and atmosphere in a particular area and extrapolate absurd generalizations about mine or anyone's attitude towards urban living in Toronto. Frankly it's just dumb. I am an enormous advocate of urban living, particularly downtown Toronto. I was just struck by the frenzy of demand for this project considering its surroundings. And my suspicions regarding safety were sadly confirmed this weekend. I suspect that I probably have frequented this mall and area more than the majority of other forum members here, and yet living here holds zero appeal to me whatsoever, forget about whether I'd be paying $700 per sq. ft. for that privilege. It is a clear sign of pure speculator demand.

My great sympathies to the victims of this tragedy.

Last edited:
CN Tower:

Two shootings separated by a span of what, 7 years (not to mention a considerable distance/difference in setting) constitute a proof for your suspicions? I think that's bit of a stretch.

AoD

Last edited:
Merely that the area is a target for gang violence.

I wouldn't want to live in Times Sq. either. It's no coincidence that it's not a popular area for residential living. I find that Toronto often takes an unorthodox approach to development and the driver of that trend has been absentee owners.

Last edited:
Or that the area is simply one of the one with the highest amount of traffic? If it is a "target", I'd expect gang violence to be far more ubiqutious than a public shooting every 7 years. This ain't Driftwood Avenue.

AoD

Or that the area is simply one of the one with the highest amount of traffic? If it is a "target", I'd expect gang violence to be far more ubiqutious than a public shooting every 7 years. This ain't Driftwood Avenue.

AoD

AoD, on that we well agree!

The commonality though is neither area holds widespread appeal for condo living in my opinion.

Well, widespread "appeal" is clearly a very personal matter - clearly the setting, however disadvantageous to you, is enough for some to continue reside in say Pantages next door. There is no reason to believe that Massey would be any different.

AoD

It is truly the root of ignorance, immaturity and low intelligence to take a comment such as mine which relates to concern over the safety and atmosphere in a particular area and extrapolate absurd generalizations about mine or anyone's attitude towards urban living in Toronto. Frankly it's just dumb.

I'll toss your ad hominem right back. You were the one implying that it is a dangerous place to live and a bad project to buy into on the basis of two shootings spread over seven years during a period of time where millions of people have traversed through the area. Your willful mix-up of per square foot cost, speculator criticism and commentary of the safety of the area suggest a lack of clear thinking on your part.

Dangerous, are you kidding.....with the Eatons Centre recieving an estimated million vistors a week, plus the other amount of foot traffic in the area.

Seems to be a lot safer than a lot of other neighbourhoods of Toronto, let alone holiday destinations. Id live there anyday:cool:

Last edited:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ntre-sows-fear-in-a-safe-city/article4227216/

It is truly the root of ignorance, immaturity and low intelligence to take a comment such as mine which relates to concern over the safety and atmosphere in a particular area and extrapolate absurd generalizations about mine or anyone's attitude towards urban living in Toronto. Frankly it's just dumb. I am an enormous advocate of urban living, particularly downtown Toronto. I was just struck by the frenzy of demand for this project considering its surroundings. And my suspicions regarding safety were sadly confirmed this weekend. I suspect that I probably have frequented this mall and area more than the majority of other forum members here, and yet living here holds zero appeal to me whatsoever, forget about whether I'd be paying $700 per sq. ft. for that privilege. It is a clear sign of pure speculator demand.

My great sympathies to the victims of this tragedy.

Relying on this incident to claim that the area is unsafe is an emotional reaction that anyone is entitled to have, but it doesn't mean that it is objectively true, and I don't believe it is. I rent office space in the Eaton Centre complex, and I felt absolutely as safe today as I did before - because such violence is rare in the area.

really????? unsafe because of 2 shootings this decade? You don't even see this kind of crazy talk in the regent park threads..... Tens of thousands of people use this mall every day and Yonge and Dundas isn't exactly crime-central. We get the point: you wouldn't feel safe living near eaton centre...but the rest of us see this as a rare scenario and interpret this fear-mongering as nonsense

murders happen in almost every neighborhood in the city once every 10 - 15 years. this is not unusual, considering it is right in the middle of the busiest place in the city. if someone wanted to kill a bunch of people, this would be the place to do it. do you feel unsafe entering a mall? if not, don't fear entering the eaton center.

I wouldn't want to live in Times Sq. either. It's no coincidence that it's not a popular area for residential living. I find that Toronto often takes an unorthodox approach to development and the driver of that trend has been absentee owners.

There are condos & co-ops in the Times Square area, but even Times Square is too boring now for gang bangers to hang out!

Toronto's downtown core is for the most part very safe. There are only a few well known small pockets where you have to be diligent. That said, as a downtowner I do notice a big difference in the crowd the further south one walks along Yonge. From Gerrard to Dundas it definitely gets sketchier and the makeup of the crowd far more tilted towards those who don't live downtown.

It's still very safe, but it's a reality that a rougher element exists down there. A similar situation exists within College Park: another magnet for non downtowners. I've asked lots of my neighbours if they've noticed the same thing and the vast majority of them have. Walk just a block east to Church or west to Bay and it reverts back to a 'normal' downtown pedestrian makeup.

Long time residents become very good at spotting non locals.

Last edited:

Back