Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

The former sherrif, Mayor Lastman, sold both the banks and the former park between them as "surplus lands". The theatre block was a great initiative but I believe the City could never find a tenant for the Darling designed bank to the south. It is a very difficult building to inhabit due to it's interior layout. The THB was the tenant for 205 but the THB was gutted by Lastman.

Our current sherrif shows the same or even lessser a degree of foresight as Lastman, and I suspect a lot more of our finer buildings now owned by the City will be sold as 'surplus' to pay for the end of the war on cars. I just hope these buildings dont end up being demolished and replaced by a parking garage.

You are the ultimate pessimist. Welcome aboard anyway.

Last edited:
The main issue there seems to be an absentee landlord whom no one can apparently reach

Wouldn't his address be on the property tax checques he submits to the city?

Wouldn't his address be on the property tax checques he submits to the city?

You have your address on your cheques? I don't.

In any case, having an address or even a phone number on file for a landlord is no guarantee you can actually reach him or her.

You have your address on your cheques? I don't.

I wasn't asking about your cheques, it's irrelevant unless you're the property owner?

You don't think the city might have an address for the owner? maybe the same address they send the tax bills to? Or, are they just not bothering to collect property tax, because they 'can't find him'?

In any case, having an address or even a phone number on file for a landlord is no guarantee you can actually reach him or her.

So, how does this city collect the property taxes?

Last edited:
Sounds like this potential development site is relevant again!!

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=5346518#post5346518

Today I saw plans for a 60 storey condo proposed to be built on the lot between those two old empty bank buildings on Yonge St. beside Homesense. It appeared as if the two bank buildings will be incorporated into the base of the condo.

yonge.jpg

You know, a couple of years ago when there was a lot of talk about a Museum of Toronto, I suggested these two buildings as an ideal site. They are appropriate in style and scale. They are exactly in the most dense area for tourism in the city. There is space between them for a new element to be constructed. Their location on a highly travelled retail street provides excellent opportunities for retail, which is a very important source of revenue for modern museums. They can be easily connected to TTC. Best of all, the city already owned them at the time.

I made up a simple three page proposal and sent it to Kyle Rae. He told me plans were already afoot with whoever it was/is in charge of the ludicrous "malting silos" white elephant proposal and referred me to her. I forget her name. I didn't bother with that next step as it seemed pointless.

I still think that this would be the best site for a Toronto Museum for the reasons listed above, as well as others. Other sites that have been proposed also have some merit, but also considerable practical drawbacks. The number one advantage for these buildings is that tourists would be a significant percentage of the visitors to such an attraction, and this location is where the tourists already are. It seems like a no brainer. Can you imagine these buildings as a Museum of Toronto? How well do yup think that could work?

No chance of a museum..one of the properties at one time was owned by the city and sold back to the private sector...too bad, you snooze you lose...i think its a great idea to keep these heritage buildings intact as part of a big development.
Cant wait to see the render.:)

The intriguing news continues...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=179543&page=103

I work at the Homesense next door and some guys came by today to look at the loading dock in the rear of the store because the whole area has to be redesigned in order to allow trucks to deliver shipments to the store during and after construction of the condo. He showed me detailed plans of the property which included a rendering of the new condo. I only got a quick look at the plans - looked pretty good from what I could tell in a 5 second gander - and he said it was going to be 60 storeys. He also said it might be several years before construction is underway, but it's still pretty exciting for sure!

Yes this has been in the works for a while. It involves the south bank building and the parkette. The plan is to create a new entrance to Massey Hall as well as the condo.

Good location for a 60 storey building so long as it doesn't mess with either of those two properties. How in the world do they create a new entrance to Massey Hall, and why?

Good location for a 60 storey building so long as it doesn't mess with either of those two properties. How in the world do they create a new entrance to Massey Hall, and why?

I have been anticipating that this project would materialize for quite some time now (because it is a no brainer). Massey Hall would benefit from improved backstage space, and a back entrance. One of the main complaints when the TSO left the place was the cramped lobbies, which are all out front. Having said all that, Massey Hall is my favourite building in Toronto and I expect that it will be refurbished one fine day; it has to be treated with respect in the process. Massey has rich, resonant acoustics and was once considered one of the top five concert halls in the world.

I have been anticipating that this project would materialize for quite some time now (because it is a no brainer). Massey Hall would benefit from improved backstage space, and a back entrance. One of the main complaints when the TSO left the place was the cramped lobbies, which are all out front. Having said all that, Massey Hall is my favourite building in Toronto and I expect that it will be refurbished one fine day; it has to be treated with respect in the process. Massey has rich, resonant acoustics and was once considered one of the top five concert halls in the world.

To my well tuned ears I've always considered Massey Hall by far the best sounding room in the city and I love the theatre as well. I've seen many performers in there since I first entered in the early 80's, my strongest memory was seeing Tangerine Dream there in the late 80's which was as close to a spiritual experience as I ever had.
It is definitely in need of some refurbishment. When I most recently saw Bill Maher & Kathy Griffin in there I noticed how uncomfortable the seats were becoming and the leg room is terrible. The lobby and restroom areas need some TLC too.
Given the configuration of the auditorium and that it abuts Victoria Street I don't see how a back entrance could incorporated. Even extending the backstage areas would be a challenge (though possible I suppose) given that there is not much room at the back of the building. If memory serves there's maybe only 30 or 40 feet between the two backstages of the Elgin & Massey Hall and then public parking beyond closer to Yonge.

Back