Toronto Massey Hall Revitalization at the Allied Music Centre | 48.46m | 7s | KPMB

Agreed. This should be quite the amazing restoration. We've been experiencing a very watered down version of Massey Hall for decades. Looking forward to its transformation! (I wonder what the latest is re: timelines, etc.)

Definitely, although to be quite honest I wish they would leave the fire escapes on the front facade. They may not have been original but they added to it IMO.

Well that and I've never known a Massey Hall without them.

masseyhallj28.jpg

Attachments

• masseyhallj28.jpg
    masseyhallj28.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 2,284
The principal architect behind this is of course Marianne McKenna, who told the press that she is working to the "don't screw it up" credo. Thank heavens for having her on this project. Credentials -- Koerner Hall and a reno of a hall in Minneapolis. Robert Essert is the principal acoustician (ex of our opera house and Koerner).

I like all that I've seen in the details of this reno. It's worth noting that the acoustics of Massey were always particularly resonant and they must stay that way.

This is my favourite thing going on in Toronto right now.

November 4th:

027.JPG

028.JPG

029.JPG

031.JPG

Attachments

• 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,695
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,552
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,630
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,639
So is this project more or less the same construction site as Massey Tower or are they distinct in terms of contractors, timelines, permits, financing, etc.? At a minimum they'll co-ordinate on excavation and site access issues, but is that it?

They are completely separate in terms of the items you mentioned but they are indeed sharing some space here. As a side note, Massey Towers' folks are building out the basement for the massey hall expansion. Getting reimbursed for doing so of course.

So what was this building? Looks like it was hidden behind the Albert building judging by whats left of the shutters and windows.

Not exactly sure but that building in combination with the front of the albert building sort of served as a "back of house" for the theatre and as well, where all the steam controls and air handling equipment was located i believe. Its because of this that there is the elaborate new temporary "back of house", air handling unit and chiller up on the victoria st boulevard. Once massey tower builds out the basement for them, they will relocate back into the basement while the area above at grade gets used for massey towers staging. Once massey tower is substantial complete, massey hall will move in to start and finish the addition from grade to top.

Minister Oliver and Minister Goodyear Celebrate Launch of Massey Hall Revitalization Project

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Feb. 23, 2015) - Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario)
Minister of Finance and Minister Responsible for the GTA Joe Oliver and FedDev Ontario Minister of State Gary Goodyear celebrated the launch of the first phase of the Massey Hall revitalization project today.
The Government of Canada is contributing up to $8 million for this project, which also leverages support from other levels of government and private investors.
http://www.marketwired.com/press-re...assey-hall-revitalization-project-1994055.htm

Back