Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

About time..one of the slowest moving projects in Toronto.

Well I think it is average really - although it seems like forever! It was only one year ago that they started prepping the parking lot for the south tower (June 28th). They started in July doing the caisson drilling whcih lasted until Sept/Oct. Personally, I would have though by not having to dig down it would have saved them time - however I guess pouring floors that are a mixture of parking (retail and residential), live units, and ammenities takes a lot longer than just doing straight old parking garage. Each floor was completely different and seemed to take about 6 weeks or so to complete. If you look at other developemnts (L-Tower, etc) it takes about year to get where Market Wharf is including digging. Just my two cents!

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

Last edited:
About time..one of the slowest moving projects in Toronto.

Don't forget that during "the recession" they split it into two phases and intended to finish Phase 1 before even starting Phase 2. In fact the sales held up so they started Phase 2 while Phase 1 was only up to about 3rd or 4th floor. It actually seems to be moving ahead quite well now.

Don't forget that during "the recession" they split it into two phases and intended to finish Phase 1 before even starting Phase 2. In fact the sales held up so they started Phase 2 while Phase 1 was only up to about 3rd or 4th floor. It actually seems to be moving ahead quite well now.

I agree. It was the North phase starting first that seemed to make the entire project seem like eternity.

wow, what an improvement along that stretch of Market St! I just wish there were some trees mixed in there too that could provide some shade...

Apparently they cannot plant the planned trees (on Market or Jarvis) due to buried utilities but the plants are not a bad substitute.

I was speaking with a man from Islington Nurseries the day they were planting the plants. All the plants are annuals and there temporarily until the fall when they plan to put in trees, etc. The pits for the street platers are quite deep and have irrigation.

Last edited:
Market wharf is such a good model of density and street presence: you have to wonder why architects and planners in the 60s and 70s thought pulling back from the steet and parking buildings in grassy lots was so desirable? Thank God we shook of that park city concept and can enjoy new buildings like this.

Wow - Great pics! Thanks for sharing!

That's the finishes package I chose and it's even better in practice than I had imagined.

That's a real nice view of Market Lane from that unit.

Back