31.4 KB · Views: 357
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_2590.jpg
    IMG_2590.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
To cover a few questions throughout the last few pages there are 4 levels of parking in which residents park on level 3 and 4. They enter the garage at the ipark stands and swipe there fob keys to get in. The black things on the roof are louvresa to allow cold air movement into the mechanical equipment. And even a small percentage of green on a roof is considered a green roof but when applying for a LEED credit for that green roof there is a certain percentage which Ican't think of off the top of my head

Wow. If it's that fragile, I wonder why it was chosen for exterior cladding on this project. I assume that there must be some compensating advantage -- greater insulation value?

Nope. They did it because it looks good for a couple years before it starts to deteriorate quickly and they know the buyers are oblivious.

Smart. Lanterra.

I went inside today and wandered a bit. The PATH connection is open from the MLS side but not the ACC side. The connection is actually kind of interesting, but I'm curious to see how it'll work when games are on (it's like it's asking for trouble, having the open side overlooking the lobby, but maybe it'll work out okay). There is an absolutely awesome view of 18 York from inside the ACC tho.

It also doesn't feel like there's much to actually do in MLS, which kind of surprised me. I was expecting a huge variety of businesses and activities, but really its much more limited than that.

I went inside today and wandered a bit. The PATH connection is open from the MLS side but not the ACC side. The connection is actually kind of interesting, but I'm curious to see how it'll work when games are on (it's like it's asking for trouble, having the open side overlooking the lobby, but maybe it'll work out okay). There is an absolutely awesome view of 18 York from inside the ACC tho.

It also doesn't feel like there's much to actually do in MLS, which kind of surprised me. I was expecting a huge variety of businesses and activities, but really its much more limited than that.

I know what you mean, but I think this is a good thing really ... i.e. opposed to a mall like environment, it just has a few specialty stores, fan store / a bar & restaurant and longos. My reasoning being, I really don't think a mall would work here, outside of events it'd be empty - it'd be the sort of thing that probably would get leased a lot and then you'd slowly see businesses empty out. This will work on the other hand here.

But there's something to be said for having a critical mass, and they really don't have it here.

I just remembered the other thing I noticed; the PATH connection is non-accessible. I thought it was a rule that the entire system had to be wheelchair/elderly/stroller/etc. friendly. I know I'd be pissed off if I wheeled myself from MLS to the top of the stairs at the ACC, and then had to double back all the way to York St. to find an elevator to get me back down to the ground.

Good question about PATH accessibility: I have put that question to the City's planning department, and will post the answer when I have it.

In regards to critical mass, and shopping in the area...

MLS does look somewhat sterile at the moment, but give it a few moths to be fitted out. It will be busiest around game times of course, but the hotel, offices, and condos, will ensure this place is not a ghost town outside of those times. In a couple of years, you'll have many more residents moving in at Ice and Infinity 3 as well, plus when Longos opens it will be the closest supermarket to those in to existing Infinity phases. MLS may never have a full-fledged mall in it, but it will be far from deserted.

Don't forget that just to the northeast, Union Station will be a full blown mall and reborn transportation centre in half dozen years' time (or less, hopefully less): the area will have the critical mass required!

Is it just me, or does the entire project just seem like a big 'meh'. For something billing itself as a 'sports and entertainment' complex, it just seems way too sterile. I understand the project is still under construction, but the bones are unfortunately too corporate and institutional looking. Would it have killed them to add some dynamic flair? I can't help but compare this development with locations that I have lived in recently - entertainment complexes next to stadiums in Phoenix & LA.

LA Live / Staples Center:
los_on.jpg

Phoenix /Glendale / Jobing.com Arena:
bevtech-2010-Westgate-City-Center-large.jpg

Agreed. Judging by this forum though, there are many in this town afraid of colour.

And I am not convinced any indoor malls, whether they be in MLS or Union Station, are going to add any more life outside in this area. There is little reason to hang around outside any of these developments.

Nope. They did it because it looks good for a couple years before it starts to deteriorate quickly and they know the buyers are oblivious.

Smart. Lanterra.

That is a bit cynical, no? Considering that the part that they wrapped with this material is the hotel which they retain ownership of (in partnership with Germain, CF and MLSE).....so the oblivious owners of the deteriorating wrapping are, in fact, themselves who you describe as Smart.....mmmmm....I am picturing Billy Preston singing Will He Go Round in Circles!

That is a bit cynical, no? Considering that the part that they wrapped with this material is the hotel which they retain ownership of (in partnership with Germain, CF and MLSE).....so the oblivious owners of the deteriorating wrapping are, in fact, themselves who you describe as Smart.....mmmmm....I am picturing Billy Preston singing Will He Go Round in Circles!

Fair point although if you are relying on CF's expertise in these areas then there's really no hope for you.

I suppose I am somewhat dismayed by the rather disappointing street level finishes at the Murano and am unfairly extrapolating that failure to this project by the same developer.

Fair point although if you are relying on CF's expertise in these areas then there's really no hope for you.

I suppose I am somewhat dismayed by the rather disappointing street level finishes at the Murano and am unfairly extrapolating that failure to this project by the same developer.

I wasn't relying on anyone's expertise. I, perhaps incorrectly, took your first comment about the cladding to be saying that they (lanterra) had intentionally used a finish that looked good initially but that aged quickly as a way to save money on the backs of unsuspecting condo owners.....I was simply pointing out that this was probably not correct because the area of the building where the offending finish is used is retained by the developers after the condos are transferred.

It is my understanding (may or may not be true but I understood it this way) that the change to this cladding came about after they inked the deal with Germain to be the hotel partner (when the project was launched the hotel parnter was unknown and several chains/brands were in there bidding). The Germains wanted a cladding that gave the hotel portion a distinctive look and feel from the rest of the project......whether it looks good 5 years from now or not...we do know that this was achieved!

Random thought - How much population does it take to build a mall? I would counter that there are more than 20+ condo buildings within a 10 minute walk to MLS that could support traffic for a bigger sized mall. The Yonge and Dundas area definitely did not have the population density to support Eaton Centre by itself. I thought malls are created as a central destination for people to meet and is not necessary used to specifically serve a neighbourhood.

The problem for this area is that it has an identity crisis. Is it cater for tourists via CN Tower, Queen's Quay, for businesses via Telus, 18 York, for sports via ACC, Rogers Centre or residential? Each of the groups have their own needs. People will not visit this area if they don't know what it is about. I think a standalone mall (outside of Union Stn) could be successful here for people who work in the area, live in the area or visit the area. It could be marketed as a central destination for a day of fun if cross marketing is used. The mall idea at Union Station is interesting but may suffer from 1. lack of parking, 2. lack of size for big stores (at a minimum a Future Shop or Best Buy) that will attract traffic and 3. not as convenient to go to off the Gardiner. Some may argue that you want people to take public transit to go to the Union Stn mall, but I would say that it will restrict the suburb population from going there.

Last edited:

Back