Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

/\/\/\ Yes, this.

We're talking about a continuous window wall uninterrupted by thick gray aluminum mullion (non-structural mullion trim or otherwise).

Examples:

Healthy glass curtain wall with thin, lean mullions (practically vegetarian):

(ignoring the horizontal mullions on Simcoe and B/A, which are at least made of glass)

versus

Fat-heavy mullion loaded with cholesterol:

(murano by casaguy) (malibu by casaguy)

I think when he said you're confused, he meant that we don't know what type of mullions we'll see, if any.

window wall ... non-structural mullion ... horizontal mullions made of glass

I know what was meant in the original post (and yours as well), but my point is that many words with specific technical definitions are getting used with little regard to their meanings. Window wall and curtainwall are two completely different things. Non-structural mullion doesn't make any sense because mullions are, by definition, structural. Horizontal mullions don't make sense either because mullions are vertical elements (the word you want is 'transom' for those elements). And even then, in that case you aren't talking about transoms in that sentence, you're talking about spandrels.

It's funny tho, because on the pictures you posted Simcoe Place and BA would have much, much heavier mullions than Murano or CityPlace, given that the former two are commerical curtainwall while the latter two are residential window wall. The trim that gets used afterward (which I guess is analagous to a false muntin) has nothing to do with the mullions, other than that it gets installed in front of the mullion along the glass joint.

Construction Status (August 9, 2008)

I know what was meant in the original post (and yours as well), but my point is that many words with specific technical definitions are getting used with little regard to their meanings. Window wall and curtainwall are two completely different things. Non-structural mullion doesn't make any sense because mullions are, by definition, structural. Horizontal mullions don't make sense either because mullions are vertical elements (the word you want is 'transom' for those elements). And even then, in that case you aren't talking about transoms in that sentence, you're talking about spandrels.
OH, I see.. I've been lumping mullion trim, muntin, etc. together into the mullion category.

However,

Horizontal mullions don't make sense either because mullions are vertical elements (the word you want is 'transom' for those elements).

mullionahi3.jpg

So this is actually transom/muntin? I've seen this referred to as mullion in many cases :confused: (DIY books from home depot, for instance). I could swear I've heard of horizontal mullion before, though. A quick google search revealed this.

So, in terms of MLS, I guess we're expecting to see a window wall with minimal vertical muntin:

externalbd9.jpg

If it were an operable window I'd call that a transom, if it were inoperable I'd call it a muntin.

And back on topic, curtainwall installation starts tomorrow.

This should be interesting as its near impossible to tell from the renderings how and with what the podium of this building will be clad with. Green glass was certainly not going to be my first guess.

And from all (render) appearences, the towers are very different than the base.

As the cliche goes: only time will tell.

Residences_of_Maple_Leaf_Square_-_rendering.jpg

The lower half of the tower and the balconies look green. And blue on the top half, but I think that might just be shadowing.
The podium glass definitely looks green.

I think it's more yellow than green; a glow to indicate bright light eminating from within. As for the "green" part of the towers, I think it's yellow sunlight from the sunset mixing with the blue glass to become green.

I feel like I'm reaching here. Please don't be green :(

Back