Toronto M5V Condominiums | 118.87m | 35s | Lifetime | Core Architects

I'm not sure what the mods will have to say about this but here goes:

I think in an ideal world, Urban Toronto can and should play a critical role here. Its clear UT is quite influential in Toronto's real estate world, at the very least I'm sure all but the smallest developers are aware of its existence. On top of this its popularity seems to only be increasing.

By taking the situation above, making it a headline, calling out the developer, I think things could potentially change. There's much more to this unfortunately and its not as simple as I make it out to be. UT would need to talk to the developer and get their take on the matter before going to such drastic measures. This in it self wouldn't be a quick process and would involve resources that I'm sure UT doesn't have available today.

I can go into more details but just to give you an idea; What I am envisioning is something along the lines of the fixer column in the star. The reason that works, is of course the Toronto Star's influence, the clout it possess due to all the readership / visibility. The same principle can potentially apply here. It's a lot harder to ignore such a voice.

Last edited:
Wow...that's insane. You should try sending your story to cbc, ctv, global or citytv. They might make a news story about it? I remember cbc having a news story about the poor workmanship on the athletes village condos in vancouver.

This thing really did not turn out well.

From the ugly pillars at street level, to the unpainted balconies, to the mechanical. Shame

The portion facing King Street was very promising, but it didn't work out. The King facade is okay, but the podium is a bit of a disappointment. As for the rest of the building, the mechanical box looks abysmal, and the patchy panels on the west wall are unfortunate.

Last edited:
23 June 2012: "Bad architecture always looks bad; decent architecture looks good at night; beautiful architecture always looks good." Guess where I think this building fits?

20120623213527.jpg

Got a good look today. Really disappointing. Even from across the street you can observe the poor design and workmanship. Messy and unfocused podium. Mechanical box looks like its hanging for dear life. And the balcony undersides look like they were patched by a middle school shop class.

Got a good look today. Really disappointing. Even from across the street you can observe the poor design and workmanship. Messy and unfocused podium. Mechanical box looks like its hanging for dear life. And the balcony undersides look like they were patched by a middle school shop class.

I have to agree. I see this thing daily and wonder where it all went wrong because the renderings were nice. I don't know if maybe things fell apart when Lifetime took over but this thing's such a missed opportunity. The roof/mechanical looks unfinished. Charlie blows this thing out of the water.

I don't mind the entrance to the lobby but once you are inside it looks and feels unfinished.
The common elements and design for every floor is absolutely atrocious. It feels very cheap both inside and out. Very disappointed with this building in such a great location. Don't get me started with the coloured window panels inside the units.

Last edited:
^Really? The coloured windows are the best feature of this building. It's sad that budget cuts (this project was saved during the 2008 dip so the trimmings were ditched) removed the coloured glass screen that was to wrap around the MechPH area.

The building always cheers me up when I see it from Adelaide--some colour, any colour, is better than the dreary sameness that is 99% of downtown condo towers.

Yeah... you'd think standard finishes didn't translate into poor finishes.

Speaking of finishes, I have an interesting investigation I'm doing on the painting.. or lack of painting in some areas. Look forward to my post on that.

Paper already going. Emails between me and Lifetime. Also, have some of the dents which haven't been fixed which I didn't sign off on. I dunno about the friendly relationship and getting fixed on time. Sometimes I just don't get a response from these people.. its a bit annoying.

As for Tucker, really disappointed. And I'm curious to find out how many other building they've built look like this. If I find out I'll be adding it to my blog.

I just wanted to share that I have had similar gripes (not equal, but similar) with Freed Development (Six50 King). In going through my recent move in, I also had a painful experience with dealing with service reps and the constraints of Tarion warrenty (i.e. unless it's on the PDI, it's your words against the builders).

If you're interested, there's a documentary in the making about new condo development owners and their stories/experience. Contact yvette@bountiful.ca if you'd be interested to share your story on camera (reference UT in your email). I've already agreed to do so along with others (one lady I know who purchased in Yorkville spent 1.3M and our stories aren't that far off).

I just wanted to share that I have had similar gripes (not equal, but similar) with Freed Development (Six50 King). In going through my recent move in, I also had a painful experience with dealing with service reps and the constraints of Tarion warrenty (i.e. unless it's on the PDI, it's your words against the builders).

If you're interested, there's a documentary in the making about new condo development owners and their stories/experience. Contact yvette@bountiful.ca if you'd be interested to share your story on camera (reference UT in your email). I've already agreed to do so along with others (one lady I know who purchased in Yorkville spent 1.3M and our stories aren't that far off).

Any idea when this documentary will air?

That crappy documentary already aired on CBC a while back.

How was it crappy?

You can rest assured it makes many very valid points. My building science profs had us watch it because of the importance of its message.

Or are you upset because you feel that the all-powerful anti-tower agenda (lol) in Toronto created it and you feel that there is no room for critical discourse around the condo development industry in Toronto?

Back