Toronto M5V Condominiums | 118.87m | 35s | Lifetime | Core Architects

those seem to be pretty standard grey column cladding, but they are boring. The exposed concrete at the bottom looks odd, like naked ankles under pant legs. I know it is said often, but would it kill developers to add some color and visual interest at the street level. Is Toronto that conservative? I know this building has colored laminate on select windows in the podium, but how long until residents start peeling those off?

I was surprised that they put cladding on those pillars. The use of raw concrete seems to be a big part of this building's minimalist theme. Every time I am there, I look up at the ceilings and try to like them, but its just too unfinished looking for my tastes. It also makes the undersides of the balconies look unfinished. Seems like it was an easy way for the developer to save some money while passing it off as trendy and modern.

The aluminum cladding on the columns makes it look more like an office building or bank.
I don't know why they spent the money to polish the concrete columns knowing that the different coloured concrete pours would still remain. Staining the concrete to even out the colour would probably be a nicer and cheaper method.

Jesus... all these new buildings (e.g. Burano) look like they are scaled-up Play Mobil trinket toys. This piecemeal cladding with cheap materials is a plague, and Toronto will be regretting allowing such stale, sterile and cheap materials which cover the majority of buildings built from 1999 on...

Referring to Bruvyman's post...I was told that the developer spent additional money to get a better finished product but the concrete company never came through with that they said it would look like.

Last edited:
I was surprised that they put cladding on those pillars. The use of raw concrete seems to be a big part of this building's minimalist theme. Every time I am there, I look up at the ceilings and try to like them, but its just too unfinished looking for my tastes. It also makes the undersides of the balconies look unfinished. Seems like it was an easy way for the developer to save some money while passing it off as trendy and modern.

+1

I HATE unfinished concrete ceilings/pillars inside units. It just makes it feel cold and unfinished. Somehow developers have managed to pass off this phenomenon to all the sheep out there trying to be trendy.

+1

I HATE unfinished concrete ceilings/pillars inside units. It just makes it feel cold and unfinished. Somehow developers have managed to pass off this phenomenon to all the sheep out there trying to be trendy.

Perhaps it's you and not the concrete?

+1

Sheep? I actually like cement when done nicely.

Gei: you are trolling. Careful.

i am? while i don't doubt doubt there are people out there that like "exposed concrete" for their own valid reasons, I also don't doubt for a second that the vast majority of people who see it on sales brochures and hear it from their agent assume it's a good thing simply because it was marketed as so. making them sheep... and hence my post.

Back