Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

Can we please quit with this "typical Toronto" pessimism in this, and every other thread. The situations we have in this city are not unique to Toronto. You are not some hard-done-by exception.

Ontario/Toronto has tried to fire BBD for a delay in delivering streetcars. And the noise on this BB is loud.

But if we complain about the delay in delivering street repairs (and the shoddy work at that) by City and Hydro workers it's pessimism? Why has the city not fired the coordinator and manager of the department long ago? And since the City is the shareholder in Hydro they can replace the Board with one that will kick the managers out who keep on delaying projects as well.

Private companies can be vilified but as soon as a public servant is not preforming their job they cannot be?

Ontario/Toronto has tried to fire BBD for a delay in delivering streetcars. And the noise on this BB is loud.

But if we complain about the delay in delivering street repairs (and the shoddy work at that) by City and Hydro workers it's pessimism? Why has the city not fired the coordinator and manager of the department long ago? And since the City is the shareholder in Hydro they can replace the Board with one that will kick the managers out who keep on delaying projects as well.

Private companies can be vilified but as soon as a public servant is not preforming their job they cannot be?

I agree with you on all fronts.

As for the "The situations we have in this city are not unique to Toronto". There are a lot of cities that do a much better job than Toronto. We could just assume that Toronto-way is a reasonable way. Or we could demand from our politicians to do better. And yes, this is a typical BS when you see 11 people standing and "working" on a simple curb. Yet entire projects is weeks behind the schedule.

Let's aim higher, and don't accept that there are cities that do worse than Toronto. Lets not aim low, lets aim high and improve.

You guys may see 11 people looking after one thing, but I see 3 different things taking place for those 11 people.

Since the City is Union Run, the people that should be fire are in the Union, which is very hard to get fire in the first place.

There are a few higher up that should be shown the door, but like a number of places, who knows who is allow to keep their position.

It only been the last 5-10 years where various departments are now getting on the same page as the rest, but still a lot of old school thinking that still needs to change, before everyone is on the same page as well at the same stage. This is one project still old school thinking as well doing it and beyond the contractor control, since they didn't hire them in the first place. Its another St Clair Mess with Tory sleeping at the switch.

I agree with you on all fronts.

As for the "The situations we have in this city are not unique to Toronto". There are a lot of cities that do a much better job than Toronto. We could just assume that Toronto-way is a reasonable way. Or we could demand from our politicians to do better. And yes, this is a typical BS when you see 11 people standing and "working" on a simple curb. Yet entire projects is weeks behind the schedule.

Let's aim higher, and don't accept that there are cities that do worse than Toronto. Lets not aim low, lets aim high and improve.

Would like to see a situation where we can do it all in a week. Ramp teardown, ramp rebuild, new Harbour St. One week, done. With the speed of the initial teardown actually got really excited, was thinking 'finally we're like Japan now'. But then post-demo reality kicked in. Never been to Asia so don't know if it's normal to bring down and rebuild something so quick. But am confident it's at least marginally quicker than here. Things just take so long.

And yes, this is a typical BS when you see 11 people standing and "working" on a simple curb.

Unless you were sitting there watching them for a half-hour, do you know what they were doing?

A photograph is a single moment in time. And while yes, it may look like 11 guys standing around, it may very well have been a site meeting. In fact, of the 11 guys there, it looks to me that 3 of the guys were actually working/discussing the curbs, and at least 5 and maybe 7 of the guys were having a discussion independent of the first 3.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Last edited:
Can we please quit with this "typical Toronto" pessimism in this, and every other thread. The situations we have in this city are not unique to Toronto. You are not some hard-done-by exception.

I think there is a relatively-unique-to-Toronto problem though, which is that elected and unelected officials tend to meddle a lot more in projects. A lot of that comes down to constituents though. Outside of Toronto (especially outside of the city core) people don't care as much, and they also often have no clue who they should contact if they do have concerns.

From Toronto's Road Closures web page:

HARBOUR ST From LOWER SIMCOE ST To BAY ST

The eastbound lanes will be closed 1 lane at a time for road and hydro work. Closures will be intermittent.

Closure Type:Construction (Planned)
Time Frame Daily
From Dec 11, 2017
Until:Jan 30, 2018
Hours:09:00 a.m. to 03:30 p.m.
Impact:Major
Road Class:Major Arterial
District:Toronto and East York
Contractor:Grascan
ID:R74413

Last Updated Dec 12, 2017 06:34 a.m.

From Toronto's Road Closures web page:

HARBOUR ST From LOWER SIMCOE ST To BAY ST

The eastbound lanes will be closed 1 lane at a time for road and hydro work. Closures will be intermittent.

Closure Type:Construction (Planned)
Time Frame Daily
From Dec 11, 2017
Until:Jan 30, 2018
Hours:09:00 a.m. to 03:30 p.m.
Impact:Major
Road Class:Major Arterial
District:Toronto and East York
Contractor:Grascan
ID:R74413

Last Updated Dec 12, 2017 06:34 a.m.

In particular (From Financial District BIA):

Lane Closure along Harbour Street between Lower Simcoe Street to Bay Street

The north side of Harbour Street, from Lower Simcoe Street to Bay Street, will be closed from Saturday, December 16 at 7:00 a.m. to Friday, December 22 at 5:00 p.m.

Unless you were sitting there watching them for a half-hour, do you know what they were doing?

A photograph is a single moment in time. And while yes, it may look like 11 guys standing around, it may very well have been a site meeting. In fact, of the 11 guys there, it looks to me that 3 of the guys were actually working/discussing the curbs, and at least 5 and maybe 7 of the guys were having a discussion independent of the first 3.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Since I live right next to the road, I do see what they do on a continuing basis. So yeah, unfortunately, it sure seems that lately very little to no work been done. And when the work does get done, there are a lot of construction workers standing around and watching.

In particular (From Financial District BIA):

Lane Closure along Harbour Street between Lower Simcoe Street to Bay Street

The north side of Harbour Street, from Lower Simcoe Street to Bay Street, will be closed from Saturday, December 16 at 7:00 a.m. to Friday, December 22 at 5:00 p.m.

I think it's to install light posts. They have poured concrete supports on the north side few weeks ago.

Since I live right next to the road, I do see what they do on a continuing basis. So yeah, unfortunately, it sure seems that lately very little to no work been done. And when the work does get done, there are a lot of construction workers standing around and watching.

Go put your hard hat on and help them :)

I think it's to install light posts. They have poured concrete supports on the north side few weeks ago.
I call your hand and double raise it.

For a person who lives in the area, you clearly have no idea what is taking place around you or understand what is taking place in the first place. You are a sidewalk supervisors with no knowledge of construction and how it really works. You are good at talking with your fingers with no photo to show what is going on to backup your claims.

I guess you don't talk to any of your fellow employees where you work and have a sign saying do not disturb??? Job site is like anyplace elsewhere having chit chat takes places when things are slow, waiting for material or what every, but it moves on as work is to be done. If there are delays beyond the contractor control which has been many, workers will stand around, as its cheaper to keep them there than send them home. Better employee and employer relationship.

If you think its bad walking in -8 weather, try working in it. There is a dry cold mostly found out west and north and you don't really feel it until it down to -35 compare to the wet cold here. Production falls as it get colder, regardless how bundle you are up to the point you can only be out in it for a limit time. Been there and done it.

To say people aren't working or doing their job is strictly your view, but from my experience position as a project manager/part owner. I can honestly tell you, you are wrong 100% based on what I have seen to date. That photo showing 11 people standing around and doing nothing is an example of not understanding what is taking place. You have a city inspector assign to this project to the right, you have a foremen instructing workers what needs to be done regarding the forming of the curb, you have a group discussing issues with that manhole and most likely what will have to be done to fix the issue, as it was move today.

If you walk over to York intersection as well Bay St now, you will not only find the curb form work completed, but also the concrete is pour for both location. The exist traffic light at Bay is gone. Also, York existing road has anchors drill into it to allow the bonding of the concrete that could be pour tomorrow for that missing section. The earth for the concrete is cover up to keep it warm as well clear if any snow that may fall tonight.

The east side of Bay has also its curb pour out from the existing sidewalk to match the new road to the west of it, as well having asphalt place for the sidewalk.

The area between Bay and York is now 100% Silva cells cover up and the area between it and the new road curb is being compacted to allow the drilling of an 8' hole that will see rebar place in it to support the new streetlight that is not 50% done yet.

The north sidewalk is tag for existing and new underground utilities that needs to be install along the exist road so the existing traffic lanes and new sidewalk can be built. As far as I can tell, no light post support on the north side yet and never took a close look at that.

The west sidewalk on Simcoe that was only dirt is now pave. As of 5 pm today, Guild pull the 3 3 inch ducting under the Lakeshore and is ready for all the wires that needs to be install in them to get the new signals up and running in 2018. Crew where compacting the area on the east side since all the various cambers are built.

It was a good thing I was still in the area once I learn over 3 dozen shots weren't showing up on the card, even though they were display after I shot them. This require to do some re-shooting, but all of what was miss due to poor light as well not having the time to do it. The only reason I ended up in the area, I was looking for something and most store where out of stock including the ones downtown for some strange reason. All today photos will not be on line until next week as I have no time for the next 5 days to deal with what I have shot this week, but here a few.
25175066568_de71fa68db_b.jpg

25175059878_da5af2e745_b.jpg

38159974705_81d3fcab64_b.jpg

38159971125_51d8b84528_b.jpg

38159960475_50d694e1ab_b.jpg

38159956165_b33f91d02f_b.jpg

39010088122_b2849df77f_b.jpg

Last edited:
Drum, if you scroll through the pages of this threat, you would see that I provided numerous photo updates here. So yeah, I see first hand day-to-day pace of this project. And lately, it's stalled.
Yeah. They managed to pour 2 curbs in the last weeks. Amazing! They also completed few more silva cells. Amazing! Listen, I am not sure why you are defending their slow pace of work.

Yes, I understand that you can have multiple situations when one contractor is waiting for another to finish. However, if you had a good project manager and good contractors, you will minimize downtime and having multiple people standing and waiting. My entire point is that it's common to see poorly managed projects here. And this project is definitely a good example of this issue.
They put themselves in the situation of having to work during -8 as mentioned in your post. They had 8 months of decent weather to finish the project (that actually started in 2016).

From your response, it almost sounds like you have personal interest in this project, and you are trying to defend it so hard... Oh well. However, on second thought, you have provided erroneous information on this project several times in the last few months...

City of Toronto Media Relations has issued the following:
==========================================

News Release

December 14, 2017

Lane closures on Harbour Street between York and Bay Streets December 16 to 22

Work continues on the construction of the new traffic ramp from the Gardiner Expressway to Lower Simcoe Street. As part of the project, improvements are being made on Harbour Street. Most of the road work is completed on the south side of Harbour Street and will now shift to the north side between York and Bay Streets. Beginning at 7 a.m. on Saturday, December 16, the two north-side lanes on Harbour Street will be closed to complete road reconstruction and the two south-side lanes will be opened. All lanes should reopen by 5 p.m. on Friday, December 22, weather permitting.

Traffic restrictions associated with this closure include:
• Two north-side lanes on Harbour Street will be closed
• Two south-side lanes Harbour Street will be opened
• Westbound lanes on Lake Shore Boulevard West will remain open
• Access to buildings will be maintained. Traffic control persons will assist motorists entering/exiting building garages

Work will take place from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Demolition of the existing road will be noisy due to hydraulic breakers smashing concrete, but the remainder of work is not expected to be noisy. There will be a steady flow of trucks and heavy equipment. The contractor will work on Saturday and Sunday, weather permitting.

The Lake Shore Boulevard West multi-use trail remains closed from Rees Street to York Street and will remain closed for the duration of the project. Cyclists are advised to use the Martin Goodman Trail on Queens Quay West. Between York and Bay Streets, pedestrians can use the sidewalk on the north side of Harbour Street.

The City's web-based map to help residents and visitors make their travel plans is available at http://www.toronto.ca/roadrestrictions. Information about the City's planned capital construction work is available at http://www.toronto.ca/inview.

This work is part of the City's comprehensive, co-ordinated strategy to rehabilitate and upgrade Toronto's roads, transit and underground infrastructure for current and future needs.

This news release is also available on the City's website: http://ow.ly/Ss6630he2AV.

Toronto is Canada's largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. It is a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture and is consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities. In 2017, Toronto is honouring Canada's 150th birthday with "TO Canada with Love," a year-long program of celebrations, commemorations and exhibitions. For information on non-emergency City services and programs, Toronto residents, businesses and visitors can visit http://www.toronto.ca, call 311, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, or follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/TorontoComms and on Instagram at http://www.instagram.com/cityofto.

Back