Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

You should share sources, especially when you take them from this very forum:

Alex B. does good work, but he has a bit of "columnist-itis" - when you have to crank out articles on a particular subject regularly, and you have to justify your paycheck, you tend to take extreme positions. I think Northern Light has pointed out a fairly strong weakness in his most recent column.

I'm not sure that cramming as much density as possible into Villiers Island and then taking away the roads is the best idea. I love that the Netherlands has done it, but North America remains a pretty car-centric culture. And I say this as someone who doesn't drive!

Last edited:
I'm not sure that cramming as much density as possible into Villiers Island and then taking away the roads is not the best idea. I love that the Netherlands has done it, but North America remains a pretty car-centric culture. And I say this as someone who doesn't drive!

Especially since we all know the streetcar won't actually run there until several thousand residents have moved in, all needing a car because there's no transit there.

I also broadly concur........but....

Lets look at the alignment of the O/L in that spot:

View attachment 561797

Blue is underground, Lime Green is the joint-rail corridor with GO at-grade.

Space for a station and station building is certainly in short-supply w/that alignment. You're setting under the rail corridor by Cherry, and the ramp upwards begins almost immediately to the east, while to the west you're coming out of a curve. You also have two tracks/tunnels at constantly changing distance from one another.

@smallspy might be better able to speak about what is/is not feasible here.

Of course, all this could have been addressed with a different alignment. For instance, had the O/L remained underground, instead climbing into the rail corridor, you get a nice section of tangent (straight) track, on-grade for a station.

IF you're not locked into precisely following the trail corridor, it also becomes plausible to shift the line just a bit further south to the south, bringing it even closer to the Portlands.
I think the choice to launch the TBM at Corktown rather than anywhere closer to the portal tells us all we need to know about station feasibility around here.

The grade change isn’t the steepest on the line, ascending much closer to the Don river and at a lower height than the existing rail bridge could certainly afford 100 metres of a 0-0.25% grade platform section.

I think an expensive and disruptive – yet relatively feasible – design alternative could exist. It’s a shame we can’t achieve that romanticized vision of urbanist paradise here but it’s progress nonetheless.

I'm not sure that cramming as much density as possible into Villiers Island and then taking away the roads is not the best idea. I love that the Netherlands has done it, but North America remains a pretty car-centric culture. And I say this as someone who doesn't drive!

I support the current amount of proposed density, and would support more density, but only if the Waterfront LRT is 100% funded.

Announcement: WilkinsonEyre's Equinox Bridge​

Downtown to Port Lands: Federal government invests in pedestrian bridge to span Toronto's Keating Channel​

TORONTO, May 6, 2024 /CNW/ - Spanning the Keating Channel, the accessible Keating Channel pedestrian bridge will link Toronto's mainland to what is currently known as "Villiers Island." Parliamentary Secretary Julie Dabrusin announced an investment of $9 million by the federal government toward the design and construction of the bridge. PS Dabrusin was also joined by the project partners, Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow, and Waterfront Toronto Board Chair Jack Winberg, as well as Ogimaa-Kwe (Chief) Claire Sault, Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation.

It was also announced that WilkinsonEyre's Equinox Bridge concept was selected by the project partners through a design competition.

The new bridge will connect "Villiers Island" to Quayside, on Toronto's mainland. These new communities will contain thousands of new homes, including affordable housing. The bridge will be a crucial link for residents of these emerging communities and beyond to access the city and the waterfront, while expanding connections to Toronto's park network.

Engagement and collaboration with area residents, the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation and other Indigenous communities have been an important part of this project's formulation. By acknowledging and celebrating the Indigenous history and presence in Toronto, the bridge will also benefit inclusivity, while taking steps towards reconciliation.

Quotes

"New communities on Toronto's waterfront will accommodate thousands of homes, new businesses, and residents. The Keating Channel pedestrian bridge will link residents with their communities, integrate nature and wildlife into our surroundings, and honour the relationship of Indigenous peoples with our city and history. Projects like this support an affordable, inclusive and sustainable future for everyone."
Julie Dabrusin, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Climate Change and to the Minister of Energy and Natural Resources and Member of Parliament for Toronto—Danforth, on behalf of the Honourable Sean Fraser, Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities

"The new bridge will connect people and communities. It will create more access for the thousands of families who will live in this area in the future. On behalf of the future residents of these waterfront communities, I want to thank the federal government for their investment in building this critical piece of infrastructure."
Her Worship Olivia Chow, Mayor of the City of Toronto

"Honouring the rich Indigenous history of the lands and waters that make up Toronto's waterfront is essential to the success of this project. The Equinox Bridge design will represent and celebrate Indigenous history and culture while creating space for dialogue, reconciliation and relationship-building."
Ogimaa-Kwe (Chief) Claire Sault, Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation

"The Equinox Bridge will provide passage to a new world of wonder and discovery. It will open up the thousands of new market and affordable homes on 'Villiers Island', creating a link just minutes from downtown Toronto to the natural beauty at the Port Lands, where visitors and residents alike can find joy in new parks and harmony with the water. Toronto's waterfront is a showcase for the best of Canada and Equinox Bridge is a welcome addition to our skyline and water's edge."
Jack Winberg, Chair of the Board of Directors for Waterfront Toronto

Quick Facts
  • The federal government is investing $9 million in this project through the Active Transportation Fund (ATF). Waterfront Toronto (the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation) is leading the design and delivery of the bridge with the City of Toronto, in collaboration with the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation.
  • Following an international design competition, the Equinox Bridge was selected by an Evaluation Committee consisting of staff representatives from Waterfront Toronto, City of Toronto, and Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation (MCFN), who considered input from technical advisors, a community advisory committee, Indigenous communities and the public.
  • The Equinox Bridge is designed by a multi-disciplinary team, including UK-based WilkinsonEyre (design architect), Zeidler Architecture Inc (local architect), and including Arup (engineer), Two Row Architect (Indigenous consultant), and PLANT Architect Inc. (landscape architect).
  • Waterfront Toronto was established by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario and the City of Toronto in 2001 to oversee and lead the renewal of the city's waterfront. Each order of government contributed $500 million in initial seed funding to help catalyze revitalization.
  • The National Active Transportation Strategy is the country's first coast-to-coast-to-coast strategic approach for promoting active transportation and its benefits. The strategy's aim is to make data-driven and evidence-based investments to build new and expanded active transportation networks, while supporting equitable, healthy, active, and sustainable travel options.

A reminder as to the design that has now been selected:

1715011435725.png

1715011460394.png

1715011483168.png

An important statement in the news release:

1715011574169.png

1715011595653.png

Edit to add:

I went back to see whose favourite this was:

@afransen , @prisecaru0 , @drum118 and @DKsan all singled this one out as a fav.........

This was neither my first, nor second choice, but it should still be nice.

As part of the design refinement, I would love to see:

a) Some increase in the project in terms of fish habitat, or shoreline landscape.

b)A splash of colour somewhere.

Last edited:
You should share sources, especially when you take them from this very forum:

Same picture.
Pictures from Saturday.

Edit. Added one more.

View attachment 516546
Probably from this post, in this thread from October 2023. :) @rdaner

^Yes! I have been caught out and lazy! Lol
I saw it this morning from the Canary District FB group an 3 d. But I am horrified to learn that it is not an up-to-date photo!!!

I pride myself on posting info that is seconds old. Anything more than 3 days old is too far gone. Apologies.

You're welcome.

Right, so again, what is it you want to change? No one has actually decided the colour of interlocking paving yet. (on streets not yet tendered for construction) There are master plans, but not all the stuff is ordered, there's lots of room to change 'details'.

You need some kind of specific ask. It can't just be 'do more/better'.

Less on-street parking is a viable request and virtually cost-free. Where the change is minor, its a rounding error. Removing most/all of the street parking is a bigger ask that needs to come with several other changes.

Too late for a complete re-think of the zoning? .....I mean its very feasible, but it will delay the current implementation timeline.

For changes to the public realm there is still lots of time with minimal impact on the overall project timeline.

I think centre street and the side streets that intersect it should be pedestrian-only. There should also be more thought about programming, activation, animation.
Alex just hates cars. He wants us to be totally bicycle / transit dependent. Which is totally unrealistic for young families with kids, people with mobility issues, etc. Just as the suburbs suck because they are totally car dependent, what Alex is proposing is likewise idiotic because it would make people totally transit/bicycle dependent. The gorgeous thing about our city is that we are neither Manhattan/Tokyo/London nor are we Los Angeles. We have this beautiful mix of transit, bicycle, car options. I myself use all 3 all the time. But if you told me I can never load my kids into a car when needed or jump in the car on a horrible November day or that my only car option is Uber I'd move out of Toronto. Grown ups need cars now and then and it's nonsensical to try and engineer that out of a new development. It's about balance people. Balance. Say it with me... balance.
Paris and NYC seems to somehow manage being totally transit dependent for kids... As is the standard now for contemporary planning. I would never equate Toronto with beautiful if driving is an option.. that doesn't make it sustainable or desirable it makes it inefficient in the long run, and convenient for certain groups and of certain socio-economic status.

If they add another Skittle colour to the underneath part of that squiggly support bit to go with the other bridges here, I think it would good to go! <3

While I was in the area I swung the camera around a little and captured a few other interesting views...

The amount of low-density former industrial land between Eastern Ave and the Lake is staggering. Decades of development potential there.

DJI_20240506151053_0013_D.jpg

Speaking of density, new Regent Park is looking great.

DJI_20240506151703_0041_D.jpg

DJI_20240506151304_0028_D.jpg

DJI_20240506151314_0029_D.jpg

DJI_20240506151152_0023_D.jpg

DJI_20240506151117_0018_D.jpg

Anyway... you sure can see a lot from the same point in the sky! Okay enough of that, now back to The Lower Don Lands...

Last edited:

Back