Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Port Lands Bridges 1.jpg

Port Lands Bridges 2.jpg
Port Lands Bridges 3.jpg
Port Lands Bridge 4.jpg
Port Lands Bridge 5.jpg

I'm still a bit confused about how these will look. The image at the top of the page shows the bridges will be all white, with some red on the inside. The second image shows they'll be all red. Then the following post shows the bridges will be one of six colours, but still all white for the majority (unfortunately).

Also some of the maps seem to show a bridge on Munitions - a fixed structure east of Cherry for vehicles. Then other maps don't show it, and it's not part of the bridge design study.

oh yeah, anyone think it'd be a good idea to take the Old Eastern Ave bridge and put it in the LDL...possibly in that Munitions Street bridge location? Would certainly help preserve the heritage and historic feel of the area, and put a good bridge to use.

Last edited:
oh yeah, anyone think it'd be a good idea to take the Old Eastern Ave bridge and put it in the LDL...possibly in that Munitions Street bridge location? Would certainly help preserve the heritage and historic feel of the area, and put a good bridge to use.

Though re-use is good I am not sure you are correct that the old Eastern Avenue Bridge is in good condition. It is about 100 years old and the concrete deck looks to be in very poor condition. It has (presumably) had no maintenance since the DVP was built and it was 'cut-off'. Before looking at re-use one needs to be sure it would fit in any new location, if it is actually in good condition and if it can actually be moved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still a bit confused about how these will look. The image at the top of the page shows the bridges will be all white, with some red on the inside. The second image shows they'll be all red. Then the following post shows the bridges will be one of six colours, but still all white for the majority (unfortunately).

Also some of the maps seem to show a bridge on Munitions - a fixed structure east of Cherry for vehicles. Then other maps don't show it, and it's not part of the bridge design study.

I'm not sure which one you think suggests they'll be all red, but if you look through the deck, it's pretty clear that only the inside will be coloured.

For my part, I am unclear whether the design team has provided the additional (i.e. non-red) colours as an explanation of their design principles and how they came to choose red, or if they've essentially kicked the colour choice to the DRP to weigh in on.

The second image shows they'll be all red
I think that one is just highlighting the bridges in red so it is easier to spot them. All other realistic renders (previous and these new ones) show only the inside as red
I am unclear whether the design team has provided the additional (i.e. non-red) colours as an explanation of their design principles and how they came to choose red, or if they've essentially kicked the colour choice to the DRP to weigh in on.
It seems to me that they have proposed two color schemes:
1. Contrast Sky Colors (blue, purple, orange)
2. Complementary Sky Colors (yellow, orange, red)
If you read the captions to each color, they have assigned a bridge (Comissioners, Cherry South, Cherry North) to each color in both color schemes. I think the only decision to be made at this point is to choose which of the two color schemes they will go with, but it seems that we are about to get a trifecta of beautiful and differently colored bridges.

I think that one is just highlighting the bridges in red so it is easier to spot them. All other realistic renders (previous and these new ones) show only the inside as red

It seems to me that they have proposed two color schemes:
1. Contrast Sky Colors (blue, purple, orange)
2. Complementary Sky Colors (yellow, orange, red)
If you read the captions to each color, they have assigned a bridge (Comissioners, Cherry South, Cherry North) to each color in both color schemes. I think the only decision to be made at this point is to choose which of the two color schemes they will go with, but it seems that we are about to get a trifecta of beautiful and differently colored bridges.
Keep in mind the the Comissioners bridge is not yet funded.

Wow very interesting and very complicated. This is going to be a great area. Should have gotten my self into construction. It seems there’s gong to be a need for construction workers in the future for the growth around this area in the years to follow. Once this has all be completed then it’s only a matter of time before we see some real nice condos and hopefully the area has a new vibrant clean feel to it.

Back