Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

to me, the Ritz doesn't shine the way shangri-la does. it's cladding is a very conservative colour and type, as it just blends it with its surroundings. it does beg for attention like Shangri-la does with it's crazy shiny cladding, the sharp angles in the facade, right, smack in the middle of University ave, etc...

IMO, Ritz is iconic from a Side angle (esp Skyline shot from the West - Stunning!), yet kinda bland when facing it.
Shangri-La is the complete opposite; bland from one angle (west), stunning from the other (east). Not-so-Inconic, however.
Either way, they're both gorgeous, welcome additions to an already-great skyline!

IMO, Ritz is iconic from a Side angle (esp Skyline shot from the West - Stunning!), yet kinda bland when facing it.
Shangri-La is the complete opposite; bland from one angle (west), stunning from the other (east). Not-so-Inconic, however.
Either way, they're both gorgeous, welcome additions to an already-great skyline!

I agree, the Ritz's west and east sides are very prominent on the skyline, and like you said, the north side (and a bit of the south side) are ugly.... And at night, i hate how the roof looks when viewed from the CN tower. the lights are all in weird areas, and it's uneven, as seen here:

I find RBC and the Ritz VERY distracting at night, from the CN tower and the lake.

6097526224_386dfd91ba_z.jpg

Love that glowing pink Doka system at Shangri-La

I'm going to petition that it becomes a permanent feature.

Shangri-La, Ritz and Dexia are a hell of a lot more attractive than Trump with its bland colouring and mismatched floor heights.

Oh god please no... Lets not make this a mock Xbox360 vs. PS3 battle..... "the towers are all awesome in their own right"..... (sorry, it reminded me of school and im dreading my return)

Oh god please no... Lets not make this a mock Xbox360 vs. PS3 battle..... "the towers are all awesome in their own right"..... (sorry, it reminded me of school and im dreading my return)

LOL!.. regarding the xbox vs ps3. 99% of the time, people will always support whatever they have, no matter what! few people who own both can actually legitimately compare.:p
btw: PS3!

and regarding Trump, we haven't even seen it at night!!!! WopChop has said they will be some fancy LED lighting as part of public art... gonna be something surely, when you see those lights going all the way up the tower to the spire!!!! Ritz/Shangri-la got nothing on that!!!

and regarding Trump, we haven't even seen it at night!!!! WopChop has said they will be some fancy LED lighting as part of public art... gonna be something surely, when you see those lights going all the way up the tower to the spire!!!! Ritz/Shangri-la got nothing on that!!!

I thought I read here that Shangri-la had a lighting feature up the south and north sides, no?

They definitely dropped the ball on the Ritz. Even inside the podium floors are nothing too extravagant. Original renderings made it seem so nice and elegant. Looks nothing like it. When you look at the other 4 towers going up, they each have a distinct design and look. Ritz is just bland in a way. Like the RBC Dexia building or even Spire.

Shangri-La's lighting component is actually an LED that runs up the entire height of the building, so it definitely compares to Trump. Regardless, SL is a far superior building architecturally, so it has that too.

Excellent, I'm really excited for Trump and Shangri-la to finish. Discussion should really heat up over the merits of each, there should be some very passionate exchanges in the months ahead!

Shangri-La's lighting component is actually an LED that runs up the entire height of the building, so it definitely compares to Trump. Regardless, SL is a far superior building architecturally, so it has that too.

okay.. cool, Adelaide is REALLY gonna look good at night!!!! what a facelift in recent years with Bay Adelaide, Trump, and now this!
These are my 2 favorite condo/hotel/towers in the city..... as a future buyer of those penthouses, i'm saving up my money now! :p

Back