Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

http://www.thegridto.com/culture/arts/dont-miss-the-work-of-zhang-huan/

Don’t Miss: the work of Zhang Huan

The superstar Chinese artist is coming to Toronto to unveil a large-scale sculpture, direct an opera, and exhibit a solo show at the AGO.

BY: THE GRID TUE MAY 1, 2012 ARTS

The artist will make an appearance at University Avenue’s Shangri-La on Saturday, May 5 at 1 p.m. to assist with the unveiling of his large-scale sculpture, Rising (pictured above). This work of public art was commissioned to adorn the streetside plaza of Toronto’s gleaming new hotel and condo.

Saturday, May 5. Rising will be unveiled at Shangri-La Toronto (200 University Avenue) from 1 – 1:30 p.m. Zhang Huan: Ash Paintings and Memory Doors will be featured at the AGO (317 Dundas Street West) in an exhibit running to August 19. Semele runs at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts (145 Queen Street West) from May 9 -26.

cmcc-en-Huan090481.jpg

If anyone paid attention to detail and made sure the street level looked attractive was the builder of shangri la. The Ritz could've, but didnt. I think the four seasons will too with the huge fountain and restaurant.

This is a really great observation Vatche and I totally agree. The Ritz barely interacts with wellesley and from the back end has a fairly hall wall separating it from the Simcoe Place Park. I get that its a high-end facility, but say what you will about the One (as an example) it manages to be both aloof and engaging IMO. I love how the Shangri La interacts on multiple levels with the street providing several ways to engage with the building. And I agree, I think the four seasons will as well!

I don't know anything about the sculpture other than what the pictures show, but that last photo of it sure makes it look like quite the evolutionary tale. Can't wait to see it revealed - it looks rather significant compared to most "art" installations we've been getting with our condos.

I wonder how service access is going to work with all those fins. It looks like right now they've got a few sections of scaffold set up with outriggers up top, but I can't imagine them doing that every time the windows need cleaning or something needs to be replaced, particularly with that being the terrace of a remarkably expensive penthouse

I wonder how service access is going to work with all those fins. It looks like right now they've got a few sections of scaffold set up with outriggers up top, but I can't imagine them doing that every time the windows need cleaning or something needs to be replaced, particularly with that being the terrace of a remarkably expensive penthouse
There is a large overhead boom-style Tracktel BMU on the upper terrace. Similar to the one at Bay-Adelaide Centre. It should be able to gain access to pretty much any location.

The most difficult location, that I can see, is between the balconies and the fins. The only way to get closer to that inside corner than the depth of the balcony, would be to use a power chair.

Last edited:
If it's on the upper terrace wouldn't it have to scope out like 20-30 feet to make it past the lower terrace?

Wow, I can imagine how big it would have to be. I guess that's what you have to do when there's a ten million dollar terrace in the way.

^ Thanks for the link. Lots of great photos. I really like how the piece grows over the cube.
Sure beats the "catalogue art" you tend to find around most new condos now. I really love this whole project.

Back