Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

I agree Gristle.
I am just annoyed that it won't be public space....not just for the residents/hotel guests but for those around the neighbourhood as well as the general public. Lost opportunity for the many so that a few can benefit. Anyhow, I guess it up to the developer what he wants to do with the space he created. I gather the mandate was to try and preserve the heritage quality which they did beautifully at least from I can see on the outside and for that I am grateful but I think it could have been a neat place to set up some public space...e.g. a gallery and maybe a couple of restaurants and maybe a wine bar or a pub.

But they will already have restaurants inside the hotel , y would they have another one just outside to compete with them....a hip small café would be nice though.

^^^
sure I agree with that. Small cafe, wine bar, sports pub. All things that would bring life to the place and maybe be a plus for all those people in the neighbourhood, especially the other condo dwellers from Boutique, Studio, etc.

I agree Gristle.
I am just annoyed that it won't be public space....not just for the residents/hotel guests but for those around the neighbourhood as well as the general public. Lost opportunity for the many so that a few can benefit. Anyhow, I guess it up to the developer what he wants to do with the space he created. I gather the mandate was to try and preserve the heritage quality which they did beautifully at least from I can see on the outside and for that I am grateful but I think it could have been a neat place to set up some public space...e.g. a gallery and maybe a couple of restaurants and maybe a wine bar or a pub.

I agree. That corner is dying for some street life. It's nice that the effort was put into keeping the memory of the building alive, but a private club is kind of mute, and this might set the tone of the street in that area.

A lot of hotels have multiple restaurants. They feed off each other. Hilton across the st has three dining options. Its too bad a cafe/bistro wasn't in this spot, it would have done well from the hotel/residences.

Agree with Gabe.
Incidentally, there will be a hotel restaurant(s) on the University side which will serve hi tea (4 p.m.) and evening tapas as well as the regular 3 meals. Apparently they are going to have the restaurant(s) do pre and post shows/opera meals according to SL promo materials. Not sure if this will in fact occur.

Well, it's a hotel so there'll probably be quite a bit of animation.

Yes, inside. This particular corner would benefit from some life on the street-level. A private club won't likely do that.

The point is to get Adelaide to evolve into something other than being an arterial road to Spadina and the Gardiner. More street-level activity turns the road into a lively city street.

nice ^ love how tall this one is, and it's dimensions are perfect in making it look sleek, unlike those of some buildings (scotia plaza's east and west sides...)

the streets look so empty in that pic, and university and adelaide looks like a dead zone.

Wow, I can't believe how fast this has gone from being such a massive hole to being such a tall beautiful tower.

Seems like only yesterday....

Shangrila.jpg

As expected, the balcony glass beautifully finishes off this building. Absolutely epic.

Back