Toronto Leslieville Lofthouses | ?m | 4s | Urban Fabric | George Popper

I love the brick colour ! Nicer then all black (which is so popular now a days).

How the firebreak & soundproofing between units? The whole thing is made of 2 x4s with a bit of drywall on them?

I understand there's code and all, but realistically speaking a 2x4 structure would be all engulfed, no?

How the firebreak & soundproofing between units? The whole thing is made of 2 x4s with a bit of drywall on them?

I understand there's code and all, but realistically speaking a 2x4 structure would be all engulfed, no?

I can only imagine what the soundproofing is like between the units.

A friend of mine lives in the other Popper lofthaus just west on Colgate. It was constructed in the same fashion and sound has never been an issue.

A friend of mine lives in the other Popper lofthaus just west on Colgate. It was constructed in the same fashion and sound has never been an issue.

That's good to hear. I don't typically expect builders to do a good job in that regard but looks like they did in this case.

You can't really tell from the photos, but those are double-stud walls. The assembly is decoupled wooden studs (air gap in between) so noise transmission should be reduced. On a related note, it will be the first time I've lived without upstairs neighbors since 1996. Looking forward to it!

Last edited:
OK! Another take, here:
http://www.greaterfool.ca/2013/01/07/numbies/

I’m at the end of my wits and hope you can offer a solution.

I bought a new condo (12 unit building) last August and put the for sale sign up three weeks later. The condo was advertised with concrete floors and party wall adjoining the bedroom. I cannot sleep in either of the 2 bedrooms due to footstep noise, snoring, bed creaking. Each footstep reverberates—the force depending upon who is walking. I cannot tolerate this and want to sell – but the builder slashed the remaining 3 units price to $269,000 and I paid $312,000.

OK! Another take, here:
http://www.greaterfool.ca/2013/01/07/numbies/

I’m at the end of my wits and hope you can offer a solution.

I bought a new condo (12 unit building) last August and put the for sale sign up three weeks later. The condo was advertised with concrete floors and party wall adjoining the bedroom. I cannot sleep in either of the 2 bedrooms due to footstep noise, snoring, bed creaking. Each footstep reverberates—the force depending upon who is walking. I cannot tolerate this and want to sell – but the builder slashed the remaining 3 units price to $269,000 and I paid $312,000.

Wow...the writer of that blog is an asshole.

Nice to see red brick but overall I find the lines to be rather severe and spartan. Could have done with a bit more ornamentation somehow - perhaps some variegation in the brick colouring.

Whenever I see the bones of these things going up, I shudder to think of how long they'll last before problems start showing up. Everything looks so cheap and insubstantial. Building codes seem to be a bit of a joke - at least compared to a century ago. Just doesn't look anywhere near as robust. Throw it up quick, wrap it in a half-decent skin and walk away - and people still pay good coin for it.

So it's not awful; but, it does look rather like a late 70s' dentist office.

Given what it looks like now, I'll agree with you. Keep in mind that the unbricked portion at the top will be galvanized metal and I'm told the rooftop patios will have a wood surface when complete (not that you'll be able to see that from the street, mind you). It will complement 53 Colgate nicely, as well as the old industrial buildings at 181 Carlaw and 262 - 270 Carlaw, and won't look completely out of place given that it is steps from the Printing Factory, Garment Factory, and Wrigley buildings. Wish the same could be said of Showcase Lofts.

Nice to see red brick but overall I find the lines to be rather severe and spartan. Could have done with a bit more ornamentation somehow - perhaps some variegation in the brick colouring.

Whenever I see the bones of these things going up, I shudder to think of how long they'll last before problems start showing up. Everything looks so cheap and insubstantial. Building codes seem to be a bit of a joke - at least compared to a century ago. Just doesn't look anywhere near as robust. Throw it up quick, wrap it in a half-decent skin and walk away - and people still pay good coin for it.
Its pretty bad. I've poked around many under construction condo sites. It's terrible.

I can now confirm that the soundproofing is way, way better than I expected. I was in my unit a couple of days ago with a friend who purchased an adjacent unit, and while we were in my unit they were cutting floorboards with an electric saw in his. We could hear it, but only faintly. When we went next door into his unit, it was deafening. Of course, I did pay for the builder to add an extra layer of drywall to all party walls in my unit, and we haven't tested for bass/impact noise, but I was very impressed with the level of dampening.

Back