Mississauga Lakeview Village | ?m | ?s | Argo Developments | Sasaki

Amazed this land has never been developed.
There was a giant coal-burning power plant on it. Now that it's gone and the site has been remediated, it is being developed.

I'm NOT referring to the Lakeview Generating Station lands, but to the Small Arms munitions plant lands further east.

I'm NOT referring to the Lakeview Generating Station lands, but to the Small Arms munitions plant lands further east.

Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure I read that there was a building on those lands where the water tower remains at some point.

Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure I read that there was a building on those lands where the water tower remains at some point.
Yeah. it was a munitions factory. When they find the money, it's becoming a park.

That doesn't explain why it wasn't developed in the intervening 70-odd years since WWII ended.
History of the lands can be found here. Summary, though, is, the lands were in use until 1992, when it was sold to TCRA to expand Marie Curtis park. Most of the buildings on the site were demolished. However, when it was time to demolish the small arms building, it was designated a heritage site, by Mississauga, and kept.

DJI_0042.jpg

Great promo video, but I still don't understand why we are building townhomes in projects like this when they could be the location of additional mid-rises and residential densities.

Even worse, I don't understand why these townhome blocks are always built with huge street right-of-ways and with additional useless and needlessly wide rear laneways. Such overkill to the auto gods. They should bring parking underground (these will be condo townhomes anyway), eliminate the laneways, and probably eliminate the streets in those blocks altogether. Have a tiny visitor parking lot and entrance to underground parking, and adopt a pedestrianized pathway (woonerf) that provides access to each townhouse that is wide enough for emergency vehicles and moving trucks to access when necessary.

Or just built more midrises and stop wasting the opportunity to house future population growth.

Great promo video, but I still don't understand why we are building townhomes in projects like this when they could be the location of additional mid-rises and residential densities.

Even worse, I don't understand why these townhome blocks are always built with huge street right-of-ways and with additional useless and needlessly wide rear laneways. Such overkill to the auto gods. They should bring parking underground (these will be condo townhomes anyway), eliminate the laneways, and probably eliminate the streets in those blocks altogether. Have a tiny visitor parking lot and entrance to underground parking, and adopt a pedestrianized pathway (woonerf) that provides access to each townhouse that is wide enough for emergency vehicles and moving trucks to access when necessary.

Or just built more midrises and stop wasting the opportunity to house future population growth.
The city is already twitchy about the density/number of units being proposed.

Back