Source

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-3_10-53-51.png
    upload_2016-5-3_10-53-51.png
    302.8 KB · Views: 1,925
  • upload_2016-5-3_10-54-23.png
    upload_2016-5-3_10-54-23.png
    348.9 KB · Views: 1,907
While that's often the case, in this case, that's not how it's planned to happen. After this derrick installs the building maintenance unit, the BMU will be strong enough to lower the disassembled derrick to the ground piece by piece.

If things went as planned at the L-Tower the crane would have been removed long ago, the 'siding' would have been finished and the plaza at Front & Yonge would have been open for ages. Your optimism is great but the folks involved have a track record of total incompetence so .....

…and your blanket generalization regarding incompetence here is either disingenuous or willfully naïve, and not that helpful in analyzing the situation. Yes, there have been major screw-ups regarding the building maintenance unit, and siding and the plaza has taken a while, but that does not mean that everything in the building's construction has been fraught with incompetence, not that it will continue to be, which is what you seem to be inferring.

Erecting buildings like the L Tower, for which everything is custom and for which there are few precedents, takes scores of decision makers. Obviously the BMU problems have been particularly acute, causing serious pain for all involved, but the derrick is up after everything's been recalculated and checked a hundred times now, and things are happening again. Has it been the only issue? Evidently not, but every building has issues during construction. This one's issues have been painfully obvious because of the crane, but like every building, the issues get taken care of.

So, what exactly are you predicting, that the derrick won't do the job, and that it will remain up there for years too? Or something else? And what of substance, more than unfocused cynicism, leads you to predict more trouble?

…and your blanket generalization regarding incompetence here is either disingenuous or willfully naïve, and not that helpful in analyzing the situation. Yes, there have been major screw-ups regarding the building maintenance unit, and siding and the plaza has taken a while, but that does not mean that everything in the building's construction has been fraught with incompetence, not that it will continue to be, which is what you seem to be inferring.

Erecting buildings like the L Tower, for which everything is custom and for which there are few precedents, takes scores of decision makers. Obviously the BMU problems have been particularly acute, causing serious pain for all involved, but the derrick is up after everything's been recalculated and checked a hundred times now, and things are happening again. Has it been the only issue? Evidently not, but every building has issues during construction. This one's issues have been painfully obvious because of the crane, but like every building, the issues get taken care of.

So, what exactly are you predicting, that the derrick won't do the job, and that it will remain up there for years too? Or something else? And what of substance, more than unfocused cynicism, leads you to predict more trouble?

You seem to be more optimistic than I am on the capabilities of this developer/builder. The UT threads on the L-Tower are filled with complaints from purchasers/residents that there are more problems than normal with the finishing of the building. The crane situation is certainly a major screw-up; the unfinished 'siding' along Front Street and the amazing delays in finishing off the plaza are well documented. There are also the missing streetlights on the Yonge Street side that they removed and seem incapable of putting back again, the bases were done last fall. I certainly hope the derrick will work OK (and suspect it will) but, yes, I am generally somewhat cynical and in this case there is lots of evidence that the developer or the builders have had many more problems than seems normal and have had a hard time remedying them. If they continue to have problems finishing off the building I will not be surprised; if it all gets finished soon I will be very happy.

Please tell me that someone at some point in this thread has made a Ryugyong Hotel joke.

You seem to be more optimistic than I am on the capabilities of this developer/builder.
The same team built Pier 27 and Absolute World in Mississauga. It's not like they're not successful with beyond-the-ordinary buildings… but yeah, there was definitely a weak link or two in this chain, hopefully all repaired now!

L Tower construction information 8 The Esplanade – L Tower Update April 29/16

The tower crane is coming down in sections this week. This work will continue through the week. The Esplanade remains open to eastbound traffic with only minor temporary interruptions for safety reasons. Pedestrian access to Yonge Street is unaffected, however when sections are being lowered to the sidewalk, pedestrians are directed to walk on the south side of the street.

When the crane removal reaches the 17th floor, a mobile crane will be required to take the remaining sections down. To permit the mobile crane to be delivered, installed and removed, a vehicular road closure from Scott Street to Yonge Street along The Esplanade will be required. Construction managers are meeting with City of Toronto staff this week to confirm those dates. Deputy Mayor McConnell’s office is being kept informed.

We expect to have an update on road closure by Friday. Please check back for updates.

Prepared by EN Consulting Group Inc.

Wednesday morning:

L Tower by Marcus Mitanis, on Flickr

Yeah—looking at those pics, I'm reminded that independent of the debate here about derricks and whatnot, we're now firmly on the road to the place where we're going to have a pretty neat building to photograph. Looking forward to that.

Plenty of neat photographs of it already, crane included. It'll be cool to see it without that appendage, though. Make for a cleaner silhouette, and it might actually broadcast "I'm finished." Finally.

Back