Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Yeah, those Emporis dorks are really getting flagrant with their advertising! In any case I love the tower but agree that in other renderings I was a little cautious about the whole 'boot' thing. But on the other hand, what the hell, it seems to have worked for Italy!

how does this building orient itself? i mean, which side is east? :p

the toe of the boot faces north.
the heel south.
so the tapered profile will be HIGHLY visible from any east-west view.
the taper is on the north side. the only thing that could be better as far as visibility is if the taper was on the south side. the way it is now, the flat side faces the gardiner.
but still, it will be an eyecatching landmark woo-hooey from many angles esp. front street and union station area.

Yeah, those Emporis dorks are really getting flagrant with their advertising! In any case I love the tower but agree that in other renderings I was a little cautious about the whole 'boot' thing. But on the other hand, what the hell, it seems to have worked for Italy!

rr02.jpg

this instantly puts this building as #1 on my list of stuff u/c or proposed. The renderings were pretty good, but this 3D model really lets you get a grasp of what this will look like. Nevermind 1BE or Four Seasons or Ritz or Festival Tower or even Aura.... this is the baby that Toronto really needs! Man this is architecture! Where were the line ups for this?

p.s., did I mention I like it?

this instantly puts this building as #1 on my list of stuff u/c or proposed. The renderings were pretty good, but this 3D model really lets you get a grasp of what this will look like. Nevermind 1BE or Four Seasons or Ritz or Festival Tower or even Aura.... this is the baby that Toronto really needs! Man this is architecture! Where were the line ups for this?

p.s., did I mention I like it?

Thanks Redroom - it seemed like we were the only ones wanting 'more' out of your aforementioned buildings when debating them in their respective threads. This, however is what you get when you actually push for more. If only we could make everything as playful as this as it's evocative yet still projects the tall, dignified 'Toronto style' that everyone's always touting on this board.

Fan DAMN tastic - now THIS I can get excited about!

Where were the line ups for this?

I'm pretty sure it was close to being sold out before they even had a chance to have line ups... Although I did go to a packed sales event but it was nothing like the hype around 1BE... I wonder if it was marketing related. I don't remember hearing radio ads etc about this one. In fact a lot of people I know had never even heard of the L Tower (but everyone's heard of 1BE).

wow that model is actually the first time I have seen a version of the tower that makes it look good. I quite like this one now.

One Sexy building

This one had 'WOW' all over it the moment it was concieved. It had a look of sexiness. I couldnt believe it, when I heard it was actually approved to go forward. A building like this?....in Toronto???

I often tend to side with Hume of the of the Toronto Star on his criticisms of same old blah crap architecture that is being thrown up. This building's design actually seemed to be too much for him the other way. I think he was way off on his criticism on the design on this one. This city needed this. Ironic that it resembles a boot to so many. Perhaps it will be just what we need to 'kick' the condo architects in this city into designing more daring and exciting designs. The bar has finally been raised.

Intersesting... People look at a drawing of a proposed building that is truly different and the reaction of the majority is overwhelmingly negative. Make a model of it, something you can walk around, something tactile and real, and suddenly comments and reactions turn 180 degrees, or so it seems.

The TD Centre, The City Hall, CN Tower, like it or not are a just a few of Toronto's 'Icons". I think quite possibly we may now have a new one.

just an fyi, my contact at the Sony Centre told me that they are only booking shows up until May 2008...after that, the theatre is dark...I would assume that has something to do with construction.....:)

I think this is one building that actually benefits from the shall we say "rationalization" when translated from the rendering to the 3 dimensional. Nice. Now will Urban Toronto be able to handle the conversion of all that plastic model glazing into real mullioned thermally sealed wall assemblies?

So they can't keep the place open during construction???

I dunno, that's what she told me...I think the staff are all going to be laid off for a couple of years..

Intersting point on the windows

Those curvy windows that the penthouses get (I assume) are going to be a bitch to clean and keep clean. Also,I imagine it's going to feel a bit like living in a green house. These are new uncharted waters we are navigating in. Perhaps the curve is not as great as it appears and each individual unit up there has straight glass with only a slight angle tilt. ..But what about those units near the the very top where the windows seem to point to the sky, I wonder... ..Mwbe its all mechanical up there?

Back