Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Mmm, that thing has quite the nice curve already, I really love that curtainwall, this is going to be a stunner. I also love the new podium to be honest. I think it will make it look much taller when it's finished. There are too few residential towers that rise straight up uninterrupted.

Night view from the mound at Sugar Beach/Corus Quay

nhwOS.jpg

We may be getting our plaza. This is coming to Council today MM25.43

Recommendations
Councillor Pam McConnell, seconded by Councillor Peter Milczyn, recommends that:

1. City Council accept the offer by the developer of 8 The Esplanade (L Tower) to pay $1.8 million to the City as cash-in-lieu of park land.

2. City Council accept the offer by the developer of 8 The Esplanade (L Tower) to pay an additional $1 million to the City pursuant to Section 37 of the Planning Act, such funds to be used by the City for the purpose of completion of the public plaza at the Sony Centre.

3. City Council direct that payment of the funds described in Recommendations 1 and 2 above be secured in a manner satisfactory to the City Solicitor.

Ferry Docks

Returning from Toronto Islands after sunset
... L-Tower making an appearance in between the waterfront high-rises:

[video=vimeo;45699548]http://vimeo.com/45699548[/video]

Video: captured with iPhone (for fullscreen viewing follow vimeo link)
Music: Calling (Instrumental) by Dexter Britain (http://www.dexterbritain.co.uk)

Last edited:
When is the occupancy date for this tower?

Occupancy should be in the second half of 2013

The main structure and dismantling of the crane will be completed by the end of this year, provided there are no unforseen labour, delivery or supply disruptions. Then there are all the electrical, plumbing, fixtures, carpentry, painting, appliances and finishes, interior as well as exterior, before they can allow occupancy.

It will all be well worth the wait. Unfortunately the initial years of delay was due to the City cancelling the funding for the Arts Lab, and then allowing the developers time to find private investors, which did not happen. That is when they had to redesign the lower section of the building. I appreciate so very much that they kept the majority of the building, including the front, south-west corner, as originally planned.

We have all seen renderings of other condominiums in the city, not mentioning any names, that have turned out totally different than the artist's rendering. I believe this is the beginning of a new era of condominiums buildings in Toronto. I believe Daniel Libeskind and the developers of L-Tower have raised the mark, raised the standards, raised the expectancy of having buildings, even condominiums, built according to it's promise. As one would or should expect the building to look at least close to the architect's rendering. Did L-Tower inspire new condo developments to not only design more artistic buildings, but to start building them according to plan? or is it just coincidence?

As much as we may be disappointed that it has taken so long to build, quality workmanship takes time. When buildings go up too fast, they are bound to have problems. There are examples of interior and exterior deficiencies all over the city. L-Tower, on the other hand, removed the glass windows more than once at the very initial stages. Why? To get it right. If I am not mistaken, the L-Tower construction update website is the first in condominium history, at least in Toronto, to provide information on the type of glass being installed and the reasons why.

Thank-you Razz for that amazing shot taken: At dusk July 9, 2012
What a great vantage point.

We have all seen renderings of other condominiums in the city, not mentioning any names, that have turned out totally different than the artist's rendering. I believe this is the beginning of a new era of condominiums buildings in Toronto. I believe Daniel Libeskind and the developers of L-Tower have raised the mark, raised the standards, raised the expectancy of having buildings, even condominiums, built according to it's promise. As one would or should expect the building to look at least close to the architect's rendering. Did L-Tower inspire new condo developments to not only design more artistic buildings, but to start building them according to plan? or is it just coincidence?

As much as we may be disappointed that it has taken so long to build, quality workmanship takes time. When buildings go up too fast, they are bound to have problems. There are examples of interior and exterior deficiencies all over the city. L-Tower, on the other hand, removed the glass windows more than once at the very initial stages. Why? To get it right. If I am not mistaken, the L-Tower construction update website is the first in condominium history, at least in Toronto, to provide information on the type of glass being installed and the reasons why.

I'm not so sure this is the beginning of a new era of condo building, what's changed? I do agree that a quality building takes time and certainly that L Tower looks so far to have raised the bar for condo building in Toronto with pleasing design and using quality materials, along with a couple of dozen other highrise buildings put up in the last 10 years.

Ten months of L Tower construction in Toronto compressed into ten seconds (30 days/frames per second starting in July 2011). The resulting timelapse is a bit rocky and flickers a lot due to the changing light conditions every morning when the pictures were taken. I tried my best to align the individual pictures, which were not taken by a stationary camera, but from a tripod mounted camera, that had to be repositioned every day. The video isn't perfect, but still interesting I hope. Since the tower is far from being finished, I will continue taking pictures and create another timelapse when the tower has reached its full height, the windows have been installed and the crane has been disassembled. Does this mean another ten months?

[video=vimeo;42672056]http://vimeo.com/42672056[/video]

Due to its portrait orientation and small embed size at UrbanToronto the timelapse is best viewed directly at Vimeo using HD and Fullscreen mode.

By the way, I just noticed that this was my 100th posting on UrbanToronto.

Thanks for sharing. That is an amazing time-lapse. Will there be another one?

jaguar, it's great that you're so up on this tower, and I'm really hopeful for it too, but dt_toronto_geek is right, this is not the beginning of a new era. sure there have been lots of buildings that have strayed from their renderings, but not so many that you could call this the first one to be true to its. it's also not the first building to be built to high standards… if that in fact is the case here. no one's moved in yet, and won't for a year or so, so how can we be sure of all of that in advance. anyway, i am hopeful for how l tower will turn out, but i'm not inclined to see it through rose-coloured glasses.

Back