Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Any chance all the digging they're doing in front of Union station will help get rid of that ever present sewer stink from the north-western corner of the Sony centre? I'm assuming sewer work is part of what they're doing there. I'd hate for that smell to be associated with such a nice building.

They're working on it right now. From my understanding, new, larger sewage infrastructure along esplanade to jarvis and down to queens quay with the addition of the installation of a new pump at the sewage pumping station on Scott Street "should" eliminate the smell at yonge and front. You also have to imagine with over 1000 units built in this area in such a short amount of time, it has put a strain on an already outdated sewage system - thankfully the city got on top of this...

The construction at Union station is the expansion of the underground station with shops and other amenities. Not too sure on the details of that project...

Yonge and Front just wouldn't be the same if they got rid of that sewer smell on the corner. It remember when it was just as fragrant on that corner before the Okeefe was built.
..no exaggeration.
Might as well get over it. After all this time its bound to be declared as part of our city heritage one day.

+1

That smell signaled the city to me as a child, along with the steam rising out of the manhole covers. Heck, there were smells everywhere! All along the western waterfront with the malting silos and so on, and then of course Hamilton.

Yonge/Front I can deal with, but the smell that always gets my stomach to turn is on Bay just south of Adelaide (almost directly in front of the National Club). There's a big exhaust vent there, and without fail it always smells like urine when you walk by.

lol. Are the two of you being nostalgic over a bad smell? :)

It's the associations you make. I spent my early years in the east end or TO, with the heavenly smells of the large bakery, the fruit and vegetable markets, intermingled with those wafting, pungent odours of the city waterfront. Yes, I do think about this when I'm there, over half of a century later.

I walked past L Tower today and noticed that they removed all the cladding on the north side and I think most of the cladding on the east. anyone know why?

I walked past L Tower today and noticed that they removed all the cladding on the north side and I think most of the cladding on the east. anyone know why?

because people kept throwing up on the sidewalks :p

no.. i actually don't know. that;s pretty weird... weather? construction hazards?

It's possible the cladding had been installed wrong.

19kidl.jpg

could it be that they are going to change the cladding?

I would love for you to be right! For such a nice structure where they've actually put time into the design, it is shameful the way they slapped on that ugly window wall cladding. I really hope that they change their minds and dress the whole thing in office tower quality curtain wall. This would probably be my favourite building going up then :)

I would love for you to be right! For such a nice structure where they've actually put time into the design, it is shameful the way they slapped on that ugly window wall cladding. I really hope that they change their minds and dress the whole thing in office tower quality curtain wall. This would probably be my favourite building going up then :)

I can't see that happening. I doubt the developer would take that kind of hit to purchase all those windows, then scrap them.

Libeskind probably had a fit when he saw the cladding. He wouldn't bear to see all of his projects in Toronto tarnished by terrible cladding.

I can't see that happening. I doubt the developer would take that kind of hit to purchase all those windows, then scrap them.

I don't think a developer would want a A-level development to drop to a C due to the cladding.

Best hopes? A slightly metallic cladding like that on 8 Spruce Street (Gehry's tower in New York).

When I was shooting the building a few weeks ago, there was a group on Yonge St with Libeskind on their hard hats pointing and talking about the cladding as well trying to get something change or done on a piece being place. They had a hand held laser.

The window supplier is a newish (to Toronto) company that has basically bottomless resources and a modus operandi that involves undercutting anyone playing in the realm of normal economics. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they cheerfully scrapped an entire building's worth of cladding so that they could start over

Back