Toronto Kipling Station Transit Hub | ?m | 2s | Metrolinx | SAI

The last I heard was that the inter-regional GO Bus Terminal project was being held up by Hydro One due to their (new management's) reluctance about building anything of any significance under the power lines. They are not necessarily honouring their previous approvals-in-principle. I haven't heard any updates from Metrolinx/GO for a couple of years now.

Drum118: any updates on the opening (East entrance)?

Nope:

I asked Brad Ross at the last TTC and has yet to get back to me. I even asked him if it was true to the various problems I was hearing on this station as well Victoria Park, since they have the same problems.

There are a number of rumors as to changing date with one being the station computer was broken when it arrived and the floor tiles are still too slippery in wet conditions. The contractor is pulling their hair at these problems since they are not their responsibility in the first place.

Wow, even at the glacial pace that is TTC construction, this project sure is taking its sweet time. It's probably worse than the 3 years it took to build a second exit at Broadview because this one did not require any tunneling.

Good news everyone, the entrance is finally open!! i didn't think it was possible but it is!
Impressions: The entrance area itself is nice. The only problem that i can forsee is that the car entrance to the parking lot goes close to the actual entrance, which may increase bunching of cars because of people stopping there to drop someone off. we'll see how that works out.
The bridge area is also good, except for the floor, which is bare concrete and not looking that good! and they could have covered the ceiling better.
i'll see if i can take some snaps monday or tuesday.

Great news. I'll check it out this week also. I'm not optimistic about the traffic flow here. I think it will get pretty congested but only time will tell.

Here a photo I shot on October 7. You can see the concrete walkway
6252137818_7ec5e73367_b.jpg

So, when are they starting construction on the new bus terminal now that this is done??

The east entrance is finally open.

Checked it out today and saw a few people using the ramp both ways.

Will be a few days before I get around to fixing the photos I shot.

As for the terminal, no idea at this time.

Are you kidding? This is the TTC we're talking about. At some point, maybe they'll think about starting. Maybe. If they feel like it. After all, what's the rush?

Are you kidding? This is the TTC we're talking about. At some point, maybe they'll think about starting. Maybe. If they feel like it. After all, what's the rush?

Its not TTC project, but GO/Mississauga Transit.

Unless Hydro One has agree to allow the new terminal under their overhead, it still on hold. 2015 is the new opening date for the Mississauga BRT project with the first phase to open summer 2013.

First phase will be south of Eglinton at Eastgate and Fieldgate to Sq One.

MT is hoping to have 109 and 107 running all day, 7 days a week in early 2013, subject to funding.

First wave of route cuts and changes to the BRT will take place in July with the 2nd wave early 2013. A fair number of low ridership routes from Kipling will be scrape to the point that some will become 2 seat rides.

TTC Needs to move their current terminal to Cloverdale where they will have more room there than here. Then it can't happen until the subway gets built to Cloverdale and who knows when that will happen. That a better location for a gateway than the plan Kipling one.

I agree, the new regional terminal should be built at the East Mall/Cloverdale because it makes far more sense than Kipling. That being said however, I thought the whole thing was already planned, designed, and engineered for Kipling. The EA was done years ago. That's why I find this process so incredibly infuriating. Nothing but red tape everywhere you look.

I found this in theTTC minute meetings -

Grzegorz Radziwonowski says:
April 4, 2012 at 4:29 am
Out of curiosity, what’s the status of the Kipling/Islington stations rebuild projects? Given that Vic Park is finished (and Pape and Dufferin are both underway), one would assume the TTC would be moving to replace/update these facilities (more so than a second exit, fixing the lavatory, and adding storage tracks at Kipling). Have you heard anything on this joint project, or are GO/MiWay not interested anymore?

Also, if memory serves me, didn’t the TTC test out a Nova LFS before? What did the TTC make of it at the time?

Steve: The Kipling project is under Metrolinx now, but I cannot find any reference to it on their site (or GO’s either). I have sent a query to Metrolinx for an update. The Islington project is sitting on the shelf because it was originally to be funded in part through redevelopment of the site. This scheme fell apart.

As for Nova, that’s a rather sad story for people who want to see an alternative to the Orion fleet. In the last round of bids for new buses, there was a requirement for early delivery of vehicles, and only Orion claimed they could meet the date. On that basis, they won the bid, but then failed to deliver the buses on time. I look forward to the result of the bus tender that’s now on the street.

Back