Toronto King East Centre | 140m | 39s | First Gulf | WZMH

The only part I hate is the No Frills, quite like the rest. Could anyone detail their disgust?

The no-frills is certainly the most offensive and detestable aspect of the overall schmozzle. The unwrapped coke-can on the roof is ugly corporate looking business-parkitecture but relatively benign by comparison. The George Brown entrance is rather nice. (see I am capable of saying positive things too)

Is it that I am I so jaded by average Toronto building that to me the invective being leveled above seems wildly out of proportion? It's not a great addition, but experience here leads me to not expect great in such cases. I just can't see this as detestable. There's far worse in life for which to reserve such disdain, and many far worse Toronto buildings worthy of such contempt… but this one seems to be just another benign lump, not a tumour.

Not sure why this project chaps my hide so badly - maybe it's the sun media residue - but I can say that when I walk into no frills I feel like Mitt Romney has just stuck it to me.

The Weston group has mastered the art of fooling people into believing they are getting good value with 'no frills', when they are in fact getting a miserable experience facilitated by miserable, underpaid employees who stock the floors and racks with the crappiest processed foods available, brandished under the banner of what amounts to visual pollution. Only pizza pizza or Subway have more visually offensive signage. It may sound dramatic but the first time I walked into No frills I felt like I was in a Stephen King novel and I wondered how a city like Toronto could be foisted by this crap. This No frills crap would never fly in any reasonably advanced american city and certainly not Vancouver. It's true that every city has discount grocers, but that's what they are. No Frills is a major player in Toronto that serves a wide demographic, and it not only sells mostly processed trash, but with the exception of the occasional loss-leader, for what you get it's actually not cheap at all. Turns out that $2.99 ball of Mozzarella is actually a 'cheese product' containing mostly soy bean oil.

Nothing wrong with the nofrills store in the Sun building. It's clean new store with fresh product because it moves. Weston sure can't fool me and others about the savings, if there was none I could easy shop across the street at Sobeys or Loblaws store at Lower Jarvis street.

As per the stock found on the shelf's, same stuff you will find in Loblaws store including the President Choice, I'm just about sure the Mozzarella cheese you talk about was not exclusively made for nofrils.

The main difference is, nofrills has none over the counter kiosk, for that i use St. Lawrence Market, more choice and competition.

As per it ''certainly would no fly in Vancouver", there are nofrills stores in Vancouver.

Not sure why this project chaps my hide so badly - maybe it's the sun media residue - but I can say that when I walk into no frills I feel like Mitt Romney has just stuck it to me.

The Weston group has mastered the art of fooling people into believing they are getting good value with 'no frills', when they are in fact getting a miserable experience facilitated by miserable, underpaid employees who stock the floors and racks with the crappiest processed foods available, brandished under the banner of what amounts to visual pollution. Only pizza pizza or Subway have more visually offensive signage. It may sound dramatic but the first time I walked into No frills I felt like I was in a Stephen King novel and I wondered how a city like Toronto could be foisted by this crap. This No frills crap would never fly in any reasonably advanced american city and certainly not Vancouver. It's true that every city has discount grocers, but that's what they are. No Frills is a major player in Toronto that serves a wide demographic, and it not only sells mostly processed trash, but with the exception of the occasional loss-leader, for what you get it's actually not cheap at all. Turns out that $2.99 ball of Mozzarella is actually a 'cheese product' containing mostly soy bean oil.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the nofrills store in the Sun building. It's clean new store with fresh product because it moves. Weston sure can't fool me and others about the savings, if there was none I could easy shop across the street at Sobeys or Loblaws store at Lower Jarvis street.

As per the stock found on the shelf's, same stuff you will find in Loblaws store including the President Choice, .

I live in the area and sometimes use the St Lawrence Market and occasionally go to the Lower Jarvis Loblaws and I almost always used to shop in Metro; when Sobeys opened I often used them but now almost always do most of my shopping in No Frills. This is a pretty good clean store with decent fresh vegetables and meat but they are quite sloppy about "rotating their stock' so one needs to look at mhe expiry dates carefully. Last week I saw biscuits there with expiry dates ranging from May 2012 to January 2013. They are definitely cheaper than the "Frilly stores" and apart from the absence of a real butcher or fish counter I am not sure which frills are missing.

Ditto. I go to the market for meat, organic eggs, milk, fruit and veg, and No Frills for everything else. I love that No Frills.

Today:

DetGU.jpg

jfAYC.jpg

U4JcK.jpg

4uQ8D.jpg

What a pleasant surprise! First Gulf is greening the roof of 333 King East. Taken October 20, 2012:

IMG_0433.jpg

So now Coca-Cola Canada's head office will have an environmentally friendly green roof with skylights. Hopefully there will be tenant access to the roof (doubtful).

IMG_0434b.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

The green tarp in the previous photos is protecting the already installed skylights. With 33,000 sq. ft. floorplates, the skylights are a necessity. The photo below taken in July shows the skylights.

IMG_4431-1.jpg

Kudos to First Gulf for greening the roof. I hope the greening extends beyond where it is shown now. Updates to follow.

Green roof = lipstick on a pig.

Everything below the roof is ghastly. Even if this were in a Highway 403 industrial park I'd consider it a failure of gargantuan proportions.

Back