Toronto King East Centre | 140m | 39s | First Gulf | WZMH

I don't know if it is a Canada thing or not, but there sure seems to be a lot of bank branches on prime corners in our cities. I wonder if anyone has done an analysis of Google Streetview of such a thing? Is it also like this in Paris, London, Prague, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Chicago, San Fran, etc.? Just curious.

It's the norm for banks to be located in the most prominent places in cities around the world. They want to position themselves at the centre of commerce in any locality to be relevant and can afford the high rents it usually takes to make that happen. Toronto, like most older cities in Canada, is a city with a rectilinear street grid; street intersections often make for prominent locations.

Last week I spoke to a construction worker at the LCBO site. He mentioned that it would open around mid-May. I was told by someone who was stocking the shelves at the Dollarama, that they would be opening this coming Tuesday, May 1st.

Got a flyer in the mail today announcing the grand opening of the LCBO next Friday May 11. 7,900 square feet with 1,600 products. This is gonna hurt my wallet and liver.

Dollarama opened last week and it is deceptively huge inside. It's definitely going to impact some of the other businesses around there, including the office-supply portion of the nearby Staples. The convenience store at 222 The Esplanade is already in the process of consolidating into a much smaller space beside their existing one. I imagine there's just no way they can compete with No Frills and Dollarama on most products (ie. anything but cigarettes and lotto tickets...)

Last edited:
Here's the preliminary application for the full redevelopment of the site. Interesting note was the initial application was for a 47-storey tower, which has now been rejigged to a three-tower application.

Looks good from the renderings, and it's great that two of the three are planned for employment uses.
333 King East.jpg

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2012/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-46665.pdf

Attachments

• 333 King East.jpg
    333 King East.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 415
I know that the architect is D+S, but I'm getting a bit of a Richard Rogers feeling from that office building in the immediate foreground.

Here's the preliminary application for the full redevelopment of the site. Interesting note was the initial application was for a 47-storey tower, which has now been rejigged to a three-tower application.

Looks good from the renderings, and it's great that two of the three are planned for employment uses.
View attachment 8885
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2012/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-46665.pdf

I think, from the Staff Report, that the initial proposal was " A proposal was also
presented for a 35 to 40-storey tower at the corner of Front Street East and Berkeley
Street, connected to a 14 to16-storey slab building fronting on King Street East on the
east side of the site."

Is the third tower residential then?

As noted in the report "They are seeking permission for increases in the permitted height to facilitate the construction of a 16-storey office building at the northeast corner of the site, a 24-storey residential building at the southeast corner and a 19-storey office building at the southwest corner."

Great news. With 2 office towers in the plan, I truly hope that the city csn overlook the height (which shouldnt even be a problem, considering the location, but this city is run by a bunch of highrise hating, suburbanites.) and approve this proposal. Also, hopefully this wont be another ïce, with only the residential aspect.constructed with no real plans to construct the office portion any time soon.

Considering it's the suburbanites who are more likely to let development run rampant and unchecked, I'm not sure what you're on about here. But I mean god forbid we have anything that remotely resembles a plan when it comes to density and scale.

Forget it, let's build a supertall here!

Highrises denied in Toronto: Countless
Lowrise heritage structure preservation proposals denied: None

Yes, it was a neutral observation.

How can you make such a statement?

Toronto has lost countless significant historic buildings to facadectomy or outright demolition in this development cycle alone, meanwhile Toronto has 132 high rise buildings under construction right now, the greatest volume in N.A. if not the western world, many built on the graves of now demolished historic buildings.

You claim to be neutral, but I would very much like to know why you are such a booster for rapacious development.

Back