Toronto INDX Condos | 178.6m | 54s | Lifetime | P + S / IBI

I witnessed the arrival of a shoring machine on site minutes ago.

Setup of the shoring machine is now complete, and shoring activities are now underway. This is a very tight site, with buildings along the north and east perimeters of the lot. Swing space for the shoring machine will be non-existent in the north east corner - it will be interesting to see how the shoring goes in that area.

These are from Saturday - March 23, 2013

20130323_163610.jpg
20130323_163623.jpg

Attachments

• 20130323_163610.jpg
    20130323_163610.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 841
  • 20130323_163623.jpg
    20130323_163623.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 877
Nice to see this one moving along. It'll be interesting to see how it fits in with trump, fcp, and scotia plaza

Shoring for the INDX site has now been completed. The shoring machine is now in the process of being disassembled and loaded onto trucks.

Sorry, that looks like a pretty clumsy and cheap art deco knockoff to me. Thank goodness it never flew.

I'm not sure how you can determine "cheapness" from those images, but I would certainly take that over what we're now getting at this site. This would have been a perfect location for neo-deco, especially considering it's visibility from Nathan Phillips Square. Yes there's always a danger it could turn out like Uptown, but then there's always a danger that this current project could turn out like a grey spandrel-covered box.

There is little doubt that that this will end up being a grey spandrel covered box.

wmedia:

And Uptown is more of a disaster than a grey spandrel-covered box (and the lovely precast haven't even reached it's gr...I meant prime yet). Give it 10, 15 years, and you'd be begging to give the streaking party a chemical peel.

Neo-Deco can conceivably work as a style, I am just not sure if I have the faith in most developers to carry it out successfully and not having it turn into dog's breakfast from an aesthetic perspective. If one wants Neo-Deco, best to have it as an office tower - Cesar Pelli did some good work on that front.

AoD

Last edited:
I have to agree with AlvinofDiaspar. On an inventor-oriented building such as this, the money will simply not be spent to successfully pull off even an Uptown. Except for a few Stern very high end buildings here and especially New York, most neo-deco never rises above the look of cheap pre-cast.

Back