543     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 836     1 

Toronto in miami herald - great article

xania13

Member Bio
Reaction score
From July 28 Miami Herald

Is Toronto Canada's coolest city? Modest and self-deprecating, Torontonians will forever shy away from any such depiction, pointing to Montreal as the center of all things cool in Canada.
But Toronto, or ``T Dot'' (a nickname coined by local rap artists), has long since surpassed Montreal as Canada's cultural hub. Only in recent times has it seen its sense of self-confidence grow along with its size.
With new investments in infrastructure, an influx of suburbanites into the downtown core and hundreds of new restaurants, bars and cafes opening, Toronto is undergoing a renaissance from dour business hub to vibrant, dynamic city.
While Vancouver remains too clean, almost utopic, Calgary too conservative and Montreal enjoys an elegant decline, Toronto has become Canada's true capital -- of business, finance, arts and sports -- in everything but formal title.
Best of all, it's still growing: dozens of skyscrapers under construction, a Frank Gehry-designed art gallery just opened, a new opera house, and a recently refurbished city square.
QUEEN WEST
Queen Street West has been the center of English-speaking Canada's alternative arts scene since the 1980s, having replaced the now über-posh Yorkville neighborhood, once Canada's hippie haven.
Block by block, storefront by storefront, the commercial has chased the indie westward down Queen Street into once derelict areas, which have become home to the so-called ``creative class.'' The neighborhood's dozens of galleries are anchored by the recently opened Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art (952 Queen St. West). Surrounding the museum is an abundance of small contemporary art and photo galleries, such as Clint Roenisch Gallery (944 Queen St. West), 107Shaw Gallery (107 Shaw St.) and Stephen Bulger Gallery (1026 Queen St. West).
As for grub, it has been said that there is nothing one can't find on Queen Street -- from Tibetan to Jamaican. For some of the best roti this side of Guyana, try Bacchus Roti Shop (1376 Queen St. West), which serves gargantuan wraps stuffed with creamy sweet potato and chickpeas. For dinner try Harlem Underground (745 Queen St. West), a jazzy soul food spot that has some of Toronto's best chicken and ribs.
At night the all-season rooftop lounge at the Drake Hotel (1150 Queen St. West) is usually buzzing with cocktail-swilling 30-somethings while the underground bar has live music on weekends.
For a younger crowd that likes to dance, head to The Social (1100 Queen St. West), a hipster nightspot. Check local listings for concerts at the legendary Horseshoe Tavern (368 Queen St. West), where Canadian acts such as The Band, Tragically Hip and Bryan Adams got their break.
For after-bar noshing, try Poutini's House of Poutine (1112 Queen St. West) for Canada's favorite post-club chow, which is hand-cut fries, squeaky cheese curds and piping hot gravy poured over top.
LESLIEVILLE
A once poverty-stricken neighborhood between downtown and the tony Beaches neighborhood, Leslieville has been revitalized, revamped and not so subtly gentrified with condos, restaurants and coffee shops. Its gritty past lives on in smoky bars, decrepit gas stations and the iconic Jilly's strip club, yet remnants of those times are fading. No trip is complete without a visit to Dangerous Dan's Diner (714 Queen St. East), a dive that serves some of the city's juiciest burgers, with thick slices of bacon and two eggs on top.
Walk those calories off by exploring the many small boutiques, such as Nathalie-Roze and Co. (1050 Queen St. East) that offers clothing, crafts and ``I Love Leslieville'' T-shirts. After an espresso at one of the neighborhood's bohemian cafes (try Te-Aro Roasted, 983 Queen St. East or Dark Horse Espresso Bar, 682 Queen St. East or Mercury Espresso Bar, 915 Queen St. East), head to Tomi-Kro (1214 Queen St. East) for Asian-fusion dinner with deliciously pretentious dishes, such as the rich and creamy duck liver creme brule.
Nightlife here is subdued -- fitting for an evening stroll. On a warm evening have a house-made ice cream bar on the tranquil backyard patio at the earnestly named Cream: The Urban Dairy (1298 Queen St. East).
KENSINGTON MARKET
Kensington Market could be said to represent the most concentrated form of Toronto's postwar identity as a melting pot of immigrants looking for a better life. From Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe to American draft dodgers during the Vietnam era, Kensington epitomizes Toronto's role as Canada's port of arrival for the world's downtrodden.
Kensington's place in history was recognized in 2006, when it became a National Historic site. Yet far from being a tourist trap, the streets still evoke the sounds and smells of far off places.
A visit first requires a stop at the ramshackle Luis Coffee Stop (235 Augusta Ave.) next to the Casa Acoreana nut shop to people watch over a chai latte. Next, head down Kensington Avenue to check out the colorful thrift shops that have overrun the ornate Victorian houses lining the block. Though pot is illegal in Canada, you would not know it from strolling through the streets of Kensington, particularly near Roach-o-Rama (191A Baldwin St.), whose cafe/boutique is a mecca for aficionados. Kensington offers Toronto's funkiest dining at bargain prices.
Nightlife in Kensington has been made famous by its backroom ``afterhours'' parties that are known only through word of mouth. For the less daring, Supermarket (268 Augusta Ave.) and The Boat (158 Augusta Ave.) both guarantee a night on the town.
THE JUNCTION
Being cool means staying ahead of the curve. Most Torontonians have scarcely heard of the Junction neighborhood on the city's northwest frontier, yet the post-industrial hood is soon to be the city's ``next big thing.''
Once a railway factory town -- a home to foundries, mills and meat packers -- the Junction fell into decline after the Great Depression. Though still an area in transition, adventurous visitors might want to make the journey to watch the city transform before their eyes.
Axis Gallery and Grill (3048 Dundas St. West) is a local favorite for live music and reasonably priced brew. If it seems wrong to eat a tepid meal that is entirely raw and vegan in cold Canada, Rawlicious (3092 Dundas St. West) serves versions of spaghetti Bolognese and pad thai that might change your mind.
Lovers of used books and records should head to Pandemonium (2862 Dundas St. West), the store that kicked off the Junction's trendy rebirth. Though the immediate neighborhood has yet to develop an active nightlife, Hugh's Room (2261 Dundas St. West), just south of the neighborhood has a dedicated clientele and live music on most nights of the week.

Decent article, otherwise Miami Herald readers would just think Toronto was "different" after reading quotes from one of their Three Kings:

"I didn't want to go there," Bosh said. "It was different. All I knew was Vince Carter was there and I never saw him play on TV. It was a whole different country, and it was just different. I'm 19 years old, I didn't know anything about culture and being away from home. All I know is the States.

"Toronto's a great place, a fantastic city. It's a metropolitan area, but you could tell you're somewhere different. You could feel it, you could look at it, you can smell it. Everything. All your senses tell you you're somewhere different."

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/25/1745616_p3/chris-bosh-goes-from-raptor-to.html

Both great articles. Americans are always shocked to learn that Canada is a multicultural, vibrant, exciting place - they seem to think that we're bland and boring. It's great to give them some exposure to the fact that we're actually interesting!

Chris Bosh did a lot for this city during his time here, he definitely tried to make his place. It's understandable that this wouldn't be his dream - that's like a hockey player being picked up by the Coyotes. Well maybe not quite, since Torontonians actually attend Raptors games...

Yah, this article is much better than the HuffPo piece. Real details.

This TSN article about why basketball players have a stigma about living in Toronto is interesting:

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=328768

Toronto is a great city, I love it," Cuban told TSN on Wednesday. "That said, the reality of sports is that no city can be everything to every player. Every city has lost players who didn't like 'enter complaint here' about it. Then again, some players are never happy no matter where they are."

Cuban was responding to an interview that Bosh did this past weekend with the Miami Herald in which he discussed how he was originally against the idea of coming to play professionally in Toronto and despite his reported love for the city, he never truly felt at home.

"Toronto's a great place, a fantastic city," Bosh told the Herald. "It's a metropolitan area, but you could tell you're somewhere different. You could feel it, you could look at it, you can smell it. Everything. All your senses tell you you're somewhere different."

Bosh is just the latest in a long line of professional athletes who have determined that the grass is decidedly greener south of the border. Whether it be former Toronto Raptor Tracy McGrady complaining that there was too much curling on Canadian television or Kenny Anderson's refusal to play in Canada after being traded to Toronto or Vince Carter demanding a trade and admittedly quitting on the team, Toronto has gotten a seemingly undeserved bad rap from American basketball players as an undesirable destination.

Sadly misconceived notions of the city are prevalent, most famously when former Raptors' big man Antonio Davis lamented that his children would be at a disadvantage when they returned to the States because as he told Jim Rome in a 2001 interview that Canada teaches kids different things in school, such as French and the metric system.

The flip side appears to be how appealing the market is to European and international players. Although it did not work out how the Raptors had hoped, Hedo Turkoglu shunned the Portland Trail Blazers to sign with the Raptors last season as he felt Toronto was a much more cosmopolitan city. Despite being traded to the Indiana Pacers, centre Rasho Nesterovic maintained his home in Toronto and stated that he was overjoyed when the Raptors re-acquired him prior to last season.

The Raptors organization is obviously aware of the situation and has made what appears to be a conscious effort to build their roster with as many international players as possible, drafting Italian Andrea Bargnani first overall in 2006 and more recently trading for Brazilian Leandro Barbosa and acquiring Lithuanian Linas Kleiza.

The irony in the situation appears to be how the city is a favourite among road destinations for NBA teams. The annual Caribana festival often attracts some of the league's biggest names such as Shaquille O'Neal, Chris Webber, Alonzo Mourning and Elton Brand, while the multi-ethnic mixture of the population combined with the lively night life makes it a desirable place to visit for many NBA players - just don't ask them to live there.

It has become so rare that an American-born hoopster praises playing in the city, that when one does it becomes a significant news story.

Former Raptor and current San Antonio Spurs' forward Matt Bonner became a cult hero in Toronto by adapting to the city quickly. He earned the nickname "the Red Rocket" more for his well documented habit of taking the Toronto Transit system to work as much as for his ginger follicles.

For him the advantages of playing in Toronto far outweighed any possible negatives.

"I came and played my first two years in the NBA here and was so excited to be on a team in a great sports city where the whole country is behind you, where you have Raptors fans from coast-to-coast," Bonner told Off the Record's Michael Landsberg on Wednesday. "For me the exposure for playing in a 'foreign' country, which wasn't very foreign to me, was just awesome."

Bonner's love of Toronto extends beyond the city as he married a Canadian girl and has applied for Canadian citizenship.

Current Raptors DeMar DeRozan and Sonny Weems have also embraced their home-away-from-home and have earned a rabid group of fans who follow them around the city as they both constantly announce where they are going to be thanks to the social networking tool Twitter.

Sadly for hoops fans in Toronto they are the exception to the rule. The problem appears to be that most American-born NBA players are much more comfortable with what they know: America. Many would consider a trade to American outposts such as Milwaukee or Sacramento preferable to Toronto solely due to the fact that they would not have to cross any borders to reach their destination or use any "funny-coloured" money when they get there.

While Raptors broadcaster and TSN NBA Insider Jack Armstrong was born in Brooklyn, New York and coached NCAA basketball in the States, he currently lives in Toronto and is a big fan of the city and he does not understand how Toronto gets such a bad rap from so many players.

"Would you rather play in Salt Lake City or Oklahoma City or Minneapolis or Milwaukee? Give me a break!" Armstrong told Landsberg on Wednesday

Certainly it's nothing against the city itself but rather the idea of playing in a foreign country; Toronto is the fourth-largest market in the NBA (after only Los Angeles, New York and Chicago) and has world-class food, theatres and culture. If the city was located a few hours south (in either New York state or Michigan, say) it's quite possible players would be flocking there – it's just that it's in a different country with certain differences in customs, cultures and education.

Players' ignorance in terms of Canadian geography and culture is not necessarily their fault; they were simply never taught that Toronto's similarities to a major American metropolis far outweigh the differences. Until that changes, there will likely be plenty more players who reject the 'True North strong and free' for the 'Star Spangled' shores of an American city.

"I think it's some sort of stigma," admitted Bonner. "A lot of people think of Canada and Toronto as the 'Great North' and that it's snowy all year and all these great untruths and myths that are totally false."

In other news, Lonely Planet names Montreal second happiest place in the world. Now why does this positive article about Montreal have to be accompanied by a sound trashing of Toronto on the G&M forums. Are Montrealers really all that insecure? Because newsflash, we're not competing with you for the joie de vivre title of Canada. We really, really could not care less -we like our angst, we like money -get over it.

I suppose it's even worse on there when there's a positive article about Toronto.

In other news, Lonely Planet names Montreal second happiest place in the world. Now why does this positive article about Montreal have to be accompanied by a sound trashing of Toronto on the G&M forums. Are Montrealers really all that insecure? Because newsflash, we're not competing with you for the joie de vivre title of Canada. We really, really could not care less -we like our angst, we like money -get over it.

I suppose it's even worse on there when there's a positive article about Toronto.

You see the thing with the majority of montrealers is that they have this superiority complex. I can go on trying to explain their ignorance and arrogance, however, it would be a waste. How can anyone be happy living in a city that is run by the mafia?

On a brighter note, the article from the miami herald is a good one, much better than the huffington post.
Has anyone been to Tomi-Kro? Thanks to this article i might have found a new asian restaurant :).

You see the thing with the majority of montrealers is that they have this superiority complex. I can go on trying to explain their ignorance and arrogance, however, it would be a waste. How can anyone be happy living in a city that is run by the mafia?

On a brighter note, the article from the miami herald is a good one, much better than the huffington post.
Has anyone been to Tomi-Kro? Thanks to this article i might have found a new asian restaurant :).

Superiority complexes can seem an awful lot like inferiority complexes...

Go after that joie de vivre title too, even though it's hot air.

Not to derail the thread, but I do find that Montrealers tend to only have a tolerance for outside points of view when they speak of the city in glowing terms. Otherwise it's a pretty insular place. Which I suppose is part of its charm to some.

Miami Herald said:
But Toronto has long since surpassed Montreal as Canada's cultural hub.

This quote says it all. This has been really obvious to me for a few years now and I can't believe how long it's taking for people to realize it.
I am not bashing Montreal here because I really like the place but Toronto has finally hit that point where the size of the city has created a snowball effect that is unstoppable.

PS: I'm going to defend Chris Bosh for his quote. When I am in an American city, no matter how similar Canada and the US are culturally - I still feel like something is off or different. It might be all in my head but I understand that feeling that he is talking about (albeit in reverse).

Last edited:
I think the biggest difference is that Montreal is starting to mature where as Toronto (GTA) is going through a kind of boom. You can see that in population growth.

Back