Toronto Hyde Park Leaside | 99m | 28s | Hyde Park GP | Graziani + Corazza

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Very large site on Eglinton Avenue East, just east of Brentcliffe.

Includes 943-963 Eglinton Avenue East.

1636539445770.png

Link: http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=yaeDdwPDSF1Jodd7qVT03Q==

Streetview:

1636539575468.png

Aerial Pic:

1636539603673.png

Site Size: ~2.7ha/6.7ac

Can't say I've ever shopped there lol, but from what I've heard that is quite a busy and popular Home Sense location. ;)

But anyways, we're getting one step closer to redeveloping in the future all of these shopping plazas (and the Mercedes-Benz dealership) fronting Eglinton around the parts of Laird to just east of Brentcliffe.

* Docs are Up*

This one is being marketed as 'Hyde Park - Leaside'

Architect is Graziani and Corazza

1637220253087.png

1637220301296.png

1637220350706.png

From the Planning Rationale Report:

1637220441852.png

1637220462707.png

1637220508477.png

1637220569057.png

1637220605136.png

1637220707212.png

1637220740244.png

Comment: Parkland location as a expansion of an existing under-sized park is the best thing about this proposal.

The ongoing absence of new schools in the Leaside intensification area is a potentially serious problem.

These condo names are so embarrassing. The marketers need a bit more confidence in our city.
The existing plaza onsite that will be replaced by this has been called Hyde Park Plaza for years and years and years.

Meanwhile, in London, England, here are the Manhattan Loft Gardens. Complaining about Toronto developers using names borrowed from other cities, as if it doesn't happen all over the world, is myopic and wearisome.

The existing plaza onsite that will be replaced by this has been called Hyde Park Plaza for years and years and years.

Meanwhile, in London, England, here are the Manhattan Loft Gardens. Complaining about Toronto developers using names borrowed from other cities, as if it doesn't happen all over the world, is myopic and wearisome.

Fair enough on the Hyde Park Plaza, though I still think it's silly no matter the city or project.

Commentary from Councillor Jaye Robinson:

Already, the application has caught the eye of local city councillor Jaye Robinson, in whose ward the development site is located.

“While this application was only submitted a few weeks ago and is at the early stages of the City’s planning process I am very concerned by the proposed tower heights,” said Robinson.

The development application includes room for 937 parking spaces for residents, visitors and commercial patrons are provided in a two-level underground garage. There is also an off-site public parkland dedication and westerly expansion of the existing public park (Leonard Linton Park) to approximately Aerodrome Crescent adjacent to the redevelopment site on the south side of Vanderhoof Avenue.

The development will require both an official plan and a zoning bylaw amendment. Robinson said, the properties are also subject to the new Laird in Focus Secondary Plan, which city council approved two years ago. She said, Laird in Focus anticipates maximum heights of 12-16 storeys for the site.

“Despite the clear policies in the place, all but one of the proposed towers in this application exceed the maximum permitted height, ranging from 16-28 storeys,” said Robinson. “It’s frustrating to see developers continue to disregard new municipal planning policies. This approach is not conducive to good planning and does not respect the efforts of city staff or the community members who put countless hours into developing a comprehensive, community-based plan for this fast-growing area of the city.”

Just took a look to see who developer Hyde Park GP Inc might be.

Back in the before times, Hyde Park Limited Partnership submitted an appeal to the new Official Plan in 2006 regarding, mostly, how this property was divided up into Mixed Use Area and Employment Area. A settlement was reached in 2007. At that time the ownership was described as… "Hyde Park Limited Partnership which includes General Partner Hyde GP Inc., Linway Developments Ltd., Kosmor Contracting Inc., Credit Meadow Holding Inc., 870769 Ontario Limited, and Amphere Construction Inc."

…none of which helps as I don't see any other projects related to these companies. It looks like when this comes to market that it may be Linway Developments taking the lead role.

Just took a look to see who developer Hyde Park GP Inc might be.

Back in the before times, Hyde Park Limited Partnership submitted an appeal to the new Official Plan in 2006 regarding, mostly, how this property was divided up into Mixed Use Area and Employment Area. A settlement was reached in 2007. At that time the ownership was described as… "Hyde Park Limited Partnership which includes General Partner Hyde GP Inc., Linway Developments Ltd., Kosmor Contracting Inc., Credit Meadow Holding Inc., 870769 Ontario Limited, and Amphere Construction Inc."

…none of which helps as I don't see any other projects related to these companies. It looks like when this comes to market that it may be Linway Developments taking the lead role.

I think it might be Zentil Property Management, since they own the plaza and their owners are named as correspondents in the application cover letter.

I don't think they have much development experience, so I would think it likely that they seek a development partner or sell once the development application progresses further through approvals.

I think it might be Zentil Property Management, since they own the plaza and their owners are named as correspondents in the application cover letter.

I don't think they have much development experience, so I would think it likely that they seek a development partner or sell once the development application progresses further through approvals.

Zentil also owns the rental townhome community 'Hyde Park in Leaside'

Interesting backstory on that from 2004:

Aha................ Correspondence from the Laird in Focus Planning Study:

1644969716009.png

From: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/ny/comm/communicationfile-98901.pdf

Look at the rabbit holes you send me down Wislaw!

@Paclo maybe you can help track this one down, AIC says it was appealed.

But, I see no Appeals Report in the City records and can't find it at OLT.

Back