Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Back in July 2023, I submitted a request for information to Metrolinx to find out more about the Hurontario LRT’s name change in honour of a political and personal ally of Premier Doug Ford. I got the documents in late January. There were a few interesting things that came out of it.

This is great. Thanks for piecing this together. Is it alright if I repost this elsewhere? The Mississauga subreddit has more than a few people interested in this project.

You could have bikes mix with cars if the street is low volume and low speed
The issue is unless we take away two lanes, we cannot widen the unpleasantly narrow sidewalks in Downtown Brampton
I guess they are planning on tearing all the old buildings down to make way for taller ones or leave one half of the block up with new development behind it? Big mistake tearing history down, but some of those buildings should come down.

You can still run four lanes of traffic with transit in mixed traffic like Rotterdam video. The city still wants on street parking leaving a single lane in each direction and no different to the number of cities that do it today. I know ML wants a ROW and can deal with both options with no problem. This is one of a few places where mixed traffic for two blocks should be while at the same time, there should be no on-street parking period.
Brampton wants to widen the sidewalks, this requires removing at least one, if not two lanes.
In 2018, they asked the public and the BIA what they wanted to do for downtown streetscaping. The survey FROM THE BIA came back as pedestrianise the Four Corners area. Same generally with the public.

City staff rejected this. Ridiculous.
The current issue is the nearest grade separated crossing of the CN Corridor west of the Etobicoke Creek to Main Street is McLaughlin. A planned grade separated crossing at McMurchy has been revived, and will remediate this issue, enabling Main Street to be turned into a transit mall.

Agreed. Hiding behind the name of a long dead individual and using terminology like that raises flags for me. @Wm Perkins Bull
Sylvia uses the term hijra to refer to herself, as she is an Indian trans woman. I feel obliged remind you that William Perkins Bull cared about the lives of Indigenous peoples to the point that the Lakota Sioux made him a honourary chief for his ethnographic work on Indigenous peoples, particularly the Sioux. Hijra is the Indian equivalent of Two Spirit when it comes to trans feminine people.

The issue is unless we take away two lanes, we cannot widen the unpleasantly narrow sidewalks in Downtown Brampton

Brampton wants to widen the sidewalks, this requires removing at least one, if not two lanes.

The current issue is the nearest grade separated crossing of the CN Corridor west of the Etobicoke Creek to Main Street is McLaughlin. A planned grade separated crossing at McMurchy has been revived, and will remediate this issue, enabling Main Street to be turned into a transit mall.

Sylvia uses the term hijra to refer to herself, as she is an Indian trans woman. I feel obliged remind you that William Perkins Bull cared about the lives of Indigenous peoples to the point that the Lakota Sioux made him a honourary chief for his ethnographic work on Indigenous peoples, particularly the Sioux. Hijra is the Indian equivalent of Two Spirit when it comes to trans feminine people.
If the city is planning on widening sidewalks, the city can have mixed transit using those two lanes like it has been proposed starting with the original EA and I have no issues with it. Depending on the width of the sidewalk, you could get a bike lane in for both directions.

If the city wants to remove a lane to widen both sidewalks, which side of the street would see parking for it? Still can run mixed transit.

Are they actually widening the existing sidewalk? I posted above here what I thought was the latest deck from the City in 2022 (there are others on the page I linked to). I subsequently found more images posted in 2023 and they are below.

2022:

1707185847794.png

1707185869067.png

2023 from here:
1707186202703.png

1707186224410.png

1707186254335.png

Last edited:
Are they actually widening the existing sidewalk? I posted above here what I thought was the latest deck from the City in 2022 (there are others on the page I linked to). I subsequently found more images posted in 2023 and they are below.

2022:

View attachment 538443
View attachment 538444

2023 from here:
View attachment 538445
View attachment 538446
View attachment 538447
Notice that the last image has the blue car taking up almost the whole lane, of which there are only two. Compare to Google Streetview
1707207516524.png

Wasn't the Business Case supposed to be out by yesterday? I'm guessing that either it was delayed, or that they kept it internal.

@Allandale25 Theyre asking you to compare these two images:

View attachment 538740View attachment 538739

As you can see, currently two cars can fit in parallel on a single side. In the rendering there’s only one car per side.
Why not full pedestrianization and transit mall? Or something like King St Pilot?

There is no need for through traffic on Main St between Willington and Nelson. South of Wellington is low density SFH homes. We don't build subways to spare the front yards of a few dozen houses. Yes, traffic engineers and gutless politicians will think of lots of ways to spend a billion dollars of someone else's money to avoid having to make unpopular though correct decisions.

Feb 6
Lot more up on my site

This will be a 3-part posting as there is a lot of info.

I'm not sure as to when MTO issued the permit to build the bridge over the 403, but work is well underway for the south pier. Retaining walls have been installed on each side of the pier that has yet to be built and northing for the north side.

Based on how long it taken to get the elevated place and form, the bridge will not be completed until late this year without track and overhead. The elevated section over Rathburn has had its joints poured with rebar being placed to form the bridge. Still have four sections retaining wall to be built for the ramp to Rathbun.

Excavation is underway to remove the earth on either side of the ramp and the south pier for Rathburn with some grading for the ramp itself. I'm not sure at this time if they are planning to have a retaining wall there or if it will be a slopping area.
53515708203_ef30a7a9d3_b.jpg

53515972945_701acdaa4f_b.jpg

53515539426_60b5b7b524_b.jpg

53515539331_4d00faab74_b.jpg

53514653237_8694880d96_b.jpg

53515539106_875a5401db_b.jpg

53515972610_22027fb522_b.jpg

53514653117_754979b5b4_b.jpg

Why not full pedestrianization and transit mall? Or something like King St Pilot?

There is no need for through traffic on Main St between Willington and Nelson. South of Wellington is low density SFH homes. We don't build subways to spare the front yards of a few dozen houses. Yes, traffic engineers and gutless politicians will think of lots of ways to spend a billion dollars of someone else's money to avoid having to make unpopular though correct decisions.

I’m not sure pedestriantization makes sense for downtown Brampton, but am open to it. I think the proposal is an improvement.

For as long as I’ve known it downtown Brampton always felt down and out and missing energy. I suspect the issue is that there’s not enough people around, and as a result any stores rely on drive-in traffic - and there’s no specific reason to drive there as opposed to BCC, Trinity Commons, etc. It probably needs massive densification within walking distance.

Separately, I have never advocated for a tunneled alignment down Hurontario. It’s a waste of money.

I’m not sure pedestriantization makes sense for downtown Brampton, but am open to it. I think the proposal is an improvement.

For as long as I’ve known it downtown Brampton always felt down and out and missing energy. I suspect the issue is that there’s not enough people around, and as a result any stores rely on drive-in traffic - and there’s no specific reason to drive there as opposed to BCC, Trinity Commons, etc. It probably needs massive densification within walking distance.
There was a brief period, from about 2015-2019 where things were looking up. There were quirky businesses and restaurants setting up and Beaux Arts got a new director who was all for revving up the space. I think the pandemic basically killed the spark a bit.

I was going to up you by using Zurich transit mall I shot in 2012 and 2022 but are missing on YouTube along with a batch for those year. Try Prague, but it is one way only for traffic

Back