Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Intriguing - so a "loop extension" to Confederation Pkwy could be possible too?
Personally I hope they take this idiotic loop all the way out to Creditview Road to link up to Erindale GO station. I mean, it would benefit no one much in the same light the proposal to have this "loop" would benefit very little riders and hurt more riders.

I'm very interested in how Crombie's liberals are going to "out-transit" the conservatives. I'm hoping the next election cycle brings some new projects onto the study table. Ontario line west and east extensions would be nice.
All day GO Train service on the Milton Line? How about a Milton line spin off to MCC?

I'm very interested in how Crombie's liberals are going to "out-transit" the conservatives. I'm hoping the next election cycle brings some new projects onto the study table. Ontario line west and east extensions would be nice.

There are certainly other projects that could be put on the table, but we can’t have a spending race.

Tbey could start by highlighting and addressing the failures of this government to manage projects well.

Simply demanding that ML publish scope, cost and completion date goals for the PC’s projects, and imposing accountability for those, would get a lot of votes without any new spending.

- Paul

Last edited:
Would love to see the Sheppard line extensions become a reality, as well as the Pearson extension.

Last edited:
I’m actually not a big fan of the loop.

If they do a loop, separate it out from the Hurontario route so that people traveling Hurontario don’t need such a big detour. And if that’s the case, I’d vote for putting it on Confederation instead. Confederation actually feels like an urbanesque street. And the streetcar would only enhance that vibe.

I’m actually not a big fan of the loop.

If they do a loop, separate it out from the Hurontario route so that people traveling Hurontario don’t need such a big detour. And if that’s the case, I’d vote for putting it on Confederation instead. Confederation actually feels like an urbanesque street. And the streetcar would only enhance that vibe.
I was always under the impression that there would be a "bypass" service for those who don't want to use the loop.

Really got to laugh how this project got to where it is today with two cities fighting for different things that will cost taxpayers a lot more money than it should, servicing a lot less riders and adding longer travel time.

Most of all, it reinforced what I have being saying the last year that the line will not be done by year end of 2024 as planned with Metrolinx removing the completion date and having no new date for it. Looks like 2026 may see service from Steeles to PC by the loop while Brampton so called downtown section by 2030. The relocation of Steeles platform will happen now since nothing has been done for that area yet. Need to move a few things first.

I checked the Queensway intersection today on my way into Toronto and nothing has started. Work cannot start until there is a southbound lane in the southbound section and don't see that until February at the earliest with what must happen as well been cleaned up. Guild was working on pedestrian lights for the intersection and saw little of the corridor today.

I can see the option for splitting the line into two lines going ahead that will add extra travel time as well keep people in their cars or need to get one if they are/planning on using the Milton line, let alone bypass Sq One period. Riders going to/from Brampton GO Station will see some travel saving, but those coming from the north will see extra time if the buses loop at the GO station than Steeles as it will require transferring one system to another.

Will the extension cost be added to Metrolinx contract or go out for bidding with Metrolinx looking after the operation and maintains cost?

Just run a loop service and leave the rest of the line as it as well adding service that bypass Sq One 100%. Those who live or may live in the Eglinton area now and the coming decades that/may drive to/from the GO station will stay in their cars than deal with all the extra travel time and hassle doing so.

As for the loop itself, I am hearing the preferred option is Living Arts, but the EA has yet to start on it that may see it go down Duke of York as per the old EA for the line or Confederation as well.

Great news about the LRT extension to Brampton City Centre. Just thinking how there is a VIA stop at the Brampton GO station. Also I seem to remember reading that there has been some discussion of moving the VIA station on the Lakeshore West corridor from Oakville to Port Credit which makes sense. Is it me or is the GTHA beginning to get a not too shabby local and regional rail system with a good degree of interconnection?

Can't believe how much this Ontario PC government is investing in transit. Definitely not the same party that cancelled the Eglinton subway back in the Mike Harris days.

So should we expect an underground transit line for Brampton?
If you took me back to when Doug Ford was a city councillor and told me that he'll be the Premier who actually gets the relief line started (more or less) I would have thought you were nuts.

Great news about the LRT extension to Brampton City Centre. Just thinking how there is a VIA stop at the Brampton GO station. Also I seem to remember reading that there has been some discussion of moving the VIA station on the Lakeshore West corridor from Oakville to Port Credit which makes sense. Is it me or is the GTHA beginning to get a not too shabby local and regional rail system with a good degree of interconnection?
Highly doubt the VIA station would move from Oakville to Port Credit. The Oakville location is much better set up to serve VIA.

It is better for VIA to serve a city of 211k people instead of a city of 828k people?

I'm not sure that the numbers should be measured by civic boundaries or municipal rhetoric. Assess the density around Port Credit versus Oakville, consider the last-mile transportation alternatives for each location. Each location has a catchment, and the catchment is not defined by those municipal boundaries.

There's no reason to assume that the Hurontario LRT line will be a step change in the last-mile option for VIA travellers throughout that 828K city. It will for some, especially considering density along Hurontario and south of Dundas generally.....but Highway 403 still gets you to the Oakville station from much of Mississauga also.

I'm not saying that I disagree with Port Credit for VIA, but I'm saying your data point is not that compelling.

- Paul

I'm not sure that the numbers should be measured by civic boundaries or municipal rhetoric. Assess the density around Port Credit versus Oakville, consider the last-mile transportation alternatives for each location. Each location has a catchment, and the catchment is not defined by those municipal boundaries.

There's no reason to assume that the Hurontario LRT line will be a step change in the last-mile option for VIA travellers throughout that 828K city. It will for some, especially considering density along Hurontario and south of Dundas generally.....but Highway 403 still gets you to the Oakville station from much of Mississauga also.

I'm not saying that I disagree with Port Credit for VIA, but I'm saying your data point is not that compelling.

- Paul
The Oakville location is better because of the larger pick-up and drop off areas, proximity to the highway, availability of longer-term parking etc. VIA is more like an airport than GO is - large catchment area with lots of folks being dropped off by car. We also have to consider that Oakville or Port Credit VIA is only to serve people going to SW Ontario, like London or Windsor. If you're headed to Ottawa or Montreal, you're boarding a GO Train to get to Union anyways.

Edit: I'll also add that unless Port Credit GO is quad-tracked, it will be impossible for VIA trains to stop there without causing havoc on GO schedules.

Last edited:

Back