Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Sure it may not be entirely free but do those advocating new routes or tunneling that $100 million cost will go away if a new route is chosen? I doubt it and I bet it will even increase significantly.

Sure it may not be entirely free but do those advocating new routes or tunneling that $100 million cost will go away if a new route is chosen? I doubt it and I bet it will even increase significantly.

I think the limited scope of media coverage is causing some mix up.....the people who are here described as NIMBY (the very few people in Brampton actually impacted by this - positively or negatively) are advocating for tunneling.....the people who want another route to bring positive impact/ridership to Brampton are not the same ones advocating for tunneling.....and the people concerned that a route/line that has virtually no impact on the vast majority of Bramptonians (or even the majority of Brampton transit riders) is now, potentially going to cost $100 million is another group altogether.

The point is, the various reason to oppose/critique this line are all different and suggesting that the same people concerned about the newly revealed local cost are also advocating for a tunnel is just, well, wrong.

From that:
Bailey said he’s amazed that while other municipalities such as Hamilton and Toronto have actively lobbied the province for transit expansion that they had a direct role in planning, Brampton is just accepting a plan it had little involvement with because the city’s previous leadership wasn’t even at the table.

That's BS. The City of Brampton was intimately involved in the 2010 Master Plan for the Hurontario/Main LRT. I attended a public open house about it in the atrium of Brampton City Hall. City of Brampton staff were on hand to answer questions. A number of different alignments through the core were presented for discussion. That was back in 2009.

Brampton, Ontario must be way older than Rome, Italy, if they are so worried about the light rail vehicles "ruining" the historical centre of Brampton.

Historic_Rome.jpg
8929710588_f5e47f6305.jpg

Just look how these vehicles "ruined" this historic building of entertainment in Rome, in the background of these photos.

Brampton did the same thing as Rome though, letting so many vehicles into their historic downtown. If anything Brampton did worse than Rome in that respect. Hopefully, the planned LRT will help rectify this problem.

That is absolutely disgusting! I am never going to Rome. Shame on them for destroying history like that.

Don't worry. Via dei Fori Imperiali itself ruined acres of Rome well before the LRT line. You can blame Mussolini. The LRT line continues this desecration! lol

It wasn't just cars. It was any wheeled vehicle. From link:

Traffic congestion, often bad enough to require drastic control measures, was a feature of city life at least as early as Roman times. A basic cause, then as now, was poor city planning, with roads laid out in such a way as to bring traffic from all quarters to a central crossing point. In the 1st century bc Julius Caesar banned wheeled traffic from Rome during the daytime, a measure gradually extended to cities in the provinces. Late in the 1st century ad the emperor Hadrian was forced to limit the total number of carts entering Rome.

Get real man. The ACC does not have any sort of architectural or cultural merit like the Colosseum does. It would be demolished way before that time. No way it would ever last that long.

Contention grows around LRT route in Brampton (see link: Toronto Star)

With the future of mass transit in Brampton about to be decided, one burning issue has divided council, residents and businesses: What route should a provincially-funded regional LRT take?

It’s an issue that could define much of the city’s future.

The question is particularly pertinent in Brampton, where the planned route takes the LRT north along Main St., including a 2-kilometre section lined with heritage homes that date back as far as the 1850s, before looping back down from the city’s central GO Train station.

The schism has put Mayor Linda Jeffrey, a former Liberal cabinet minister and MPP, at the centre of the debate, as she tries to lobby council and the public to get behind the route and plan backed by the Liberal government. Brampton council will vote on the LRT’s future at a special meeting July 8.

“I will be voting in support of the (Metrolinx) alignment and route, as it will serve the needs of our community both today and long into the future,” Jeffrey wrote in an email Monday. “The H-M LRT will potentially be a game changing initiative that will revitalize our downtown and our city's future.”

Here are some questions I have. Why are people so interested in rerouting the LRT past two correctional facilities (on McLaughlin) with no potential for land redevelopment? Or to pulverize a river valley so it can end at a hospital?
Why not instead lobby to get it extended north on Main up to Bovaird? Or even Sandalwood? There's land on the west side of Hurontario north of Bovaird that could potentially see some redevelopment. Why not explore that a little more?

Back