Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

A lot of highways (non-expressways) had "by-passes" built around towns and villages outside of the GTA. Instead of having "provincial" highways going through the middle of town, they go "around" the town. This resulted in a reduction of family businesses in the town's downtown, using replaced by chain stores or franchises with their sprawling parking lots.

Guys I visited a friend on the weekend who moved to the Caledon/Brampton border... The guy had the EXACT same townhouse unit that another one of my friends have at Wilson/400. Im sure there was a price difference but the fact is that transit can serve the one friend but will never be able to serve the other.

I think that statement depends on which side of the Caledon/Brampton border your friend bought their townhouse ;)

I think that statement depends on which side of the Caledon/Brampton border your friend bought their townhouse ;)
I dont see the difference..Its a isolated development surrounded by farm land. This is the second person I know who basically bought something out in Brampton that they could have had in Toronto. Then the whole night someone at the party was asking when we were moving out and if we even took advantages of the things Toronto had to offer. I told her I was walking distance of Yorkdale, 15 minutes max to Downtown via the subway which I can see out my window, and we can walk on our street for our drs, grocheries, restaurants. And one day I will have a east west LRT on Eglinton. Our place is smaller though and I guess one could say that living in Toronto doesnt get you the bang for the buck. Once I go down that argument though I can suggest why not move to manitoba if all we are looking at is house prices. Either way transit is often dead last on peoples agenda when buying a home and then its near impossible to try to serve them in the future if they or their children need it. Besides the fact everyone wants a one stop transit experience from their door to their destination.

I dont see the difference..Its a isolated development surrounded by farm land.

The difference is that Brampton is, and will be, committed to transit expansion (I know people like to paint another picture because of the LRT debate/decision but "transit" is not just LRT...and BT is expanding annually) and if the townhouse is on the Brampton side of the border between the two municipalities...a) it won't be surrounded by farmland for long and b) transit will get there. Caledon, however is a bit anti-transit and not only does not have its own bus system, refuses to let BT cross the municipal border (exception being a couple of buses a day to Mayfield SS)....so it does matter which side of the border your friends bought.

This is the second person I know who basically bought something out in Brampton that they could have had in Toronto. Then the whole night someone at the party was asking when we were moving out and if we even took advantages of the things Toronto had to offer. I told her I was walking distance of Yorkdale, 15 minutes max to Downtown via the subway which I can see out my window, and we can walk on our street for our drs, grocheries, restaurants. And one day I will have a east west LRT on Eglinton. Our place is smaller though and I guess one could say that living in Toronto doesnt get you the bang for the buck. Once I go down that argument though I can suggest why not move to manitoba if all we are looking at is house prices. Either way transit is often dead last on peoples agenda when buying a home and then its near impossible to try to serve them in the future if they or their children need it. Besides the fact everyone wants a one stop transit experience from their door to their destination.

You seem to have mistaken my post as one that was trying to convince you to move to Brampton...it wasn't. People live where they live and make personal choices...that is fine by me......all I was pointing out was that if your friend's purchase was on the Brampton side of that border your statement that they will never be served by transit is likely not true.

wanless dr/creditview.. I guess hurontario is not tooooooooooo far but still...

Im fine with people making their own decisions but often times people buy out in no mans land and then complain/campaign for transit when there are limited funds.

upload_2017-2-6_10-45-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-6_10-45-24.png
    upload_2017-2-6_10-45-24.png
    420.3 KB · Views: 313
I'm pretty sure even Spadina is not quite as wide as Steeles, and that Front St is not wide at all. I'm also pretty sure traffic on Spadina doesn't move nearly as fast or have that many turn lanes. On the other hand, I wonder if Spadina will ever have a bike lane in my lifetime. ;)

I'm not against having a tunnel at Steeles & Main. Pedestrians would otherwise have to cross the intersection twice to go from the bus terminal to the LRT station. You could wait a while to get a green light since it's a huge intersection with several signal phases. Plus the crossing distance is enormous, and there is a lot of traffic and turning vehicles. Had the station been placed on the north side of the intersection, directly across from the terminal (which is only possible with a Main St alignment), then the pedestrian tunnel probably wouldn't be necessary. But it is what it is.

Yeah, I'm not against a pedestrian tunnel here either. The new Brampton Gateway Terminal was built with the LRT in mind. An LRT stop on the north side of Steeles would have lined up with crosswalks at Main/Steeles and the bus exit on Main Street, offering two short walking routes between trains and buses.

Moving the stop to the south side eliminates that relatively easy transfer, but it accommodates whatever wacky alignment Brampton's dysfunctional city council ends up deciding on. The tunnel, at least, provides a sheltered, quick route to the bus terminal, so I don't see it as a pro-motorist feature.

The channelized right turns (slip lanes) are gone, and there are cross-rides across Hurontario and Steeles (not a "stop, dismount and walk bike") for cyclists. So there's some improvements for pedestrians and cyclists.

It's not ideal, but it's much better than the existing conditions.

That would be a fun transit ride...good on brampton. I dont know how they can afford to service those type of routes.
depends where you are going, I guess.

I excerpted that part of the route map simply because it shows there are already 2 routes serving the intersection that you described as not served and surrounded by farms.

History tells us that, like many suburbs, when routes are established in new areas, the buses have to be off the grid pattern as they (as I describe it) go searching for passengers.....but as the area becomes more populated and as the whole route becomes so, they revert to a more grid like pattern. But that Monday to Saturday 4A route southbound from the farms at Wanless and Creditview goes pretty much straight down Creditview to the Mt Pleasant GO station....where it also connects to several other routes in the BT systems inclucing two Zum routes.

And maybe a branch of the LRT will end up at Mount Pleasant. In the last debate some Councillors said the HMLRT wasn't bold or big enough so this could be their chance to take a blank-slate approach. The swing vote on Council for the HMLRT decision was Regional Councillor Michael Palleschi so maybe he'll try to get a branch from the McLaughlin route.

^here is an expansion of the greater area

The difference is that Brampton is, and will be, committed to transit expansion and...a) it won't be surrounded by farmland for long and b) transit will get there.

a) And is that really a good thing? So the farmland will soon disappear because more sprawl will be built. The sprawl will initially be surrounded by farmland until even more sprawl is built, which will also be surrounded by farmland until more sprawl is built...this madness is never going to end until every last remaining country road is transformed into a 6 lane traffic sewer alongside a bunch of cookie cutter houses, strip malls, gas stations and parking lots.

Sometimes I cycle on some of those rural roads. They are scenic and beautiful, which makes me sad knowing that this is the ugly future that's in store for them. On Heritage Rd I can already see the subdivisions starting to encroach in some spots. In a few years this will all be gone:

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 2.07.48 PM.png

b) transit will get there.

And when it does you might spend more time waiting for the bus than the times it takes to drive to your destination. Even some of the older subdivisions in the middle of the city can't support frequent bus service, outside of the arterial roads.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 2.07.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 2.07.48 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 295
Last edited:
a) And is that really a good thing? So the farmland will soon disappear because more sprawl will be built. The sprawl will initially be surrounded by farmland until even more sprawl is built, which will also be surrounded by farmland until more sprawl is built...this madness is never going to end until every last remaining country road is transformed into a 6 lane traffic sewer alongside a bunch of cookie cutter houses, strip malls, gas stations and parking lots.

Sometimes I cycle on some of those rural roads. They are scenic and beautiful, which makes me sad knowing that this is the ugly future that's in store for them. On Heritage Rd I can already see the subdivisions starting to encroach in some spots. In a few years this will all be gone:

View attachment 98100

And when it does you might spend more time waiting for the bus than the times it takes to drive to your destination. Even some of the older subdivisions in the middle of the city can't support frequent bus service, outside of the arterial roads.

Something that I find pretty cool to let people know about is that literally most of Brampton and Mississauga's now suburban subdivisions/neighbourhoods looked just like that photo 30,40,50 years ago, with a larger majority in the last 35 years.

My only point in this discussion was that the area/intersection the original poster described as "never being served by transit" is already served by transit....moving the goalposts by showing other roads does not change that.

there is lots to be critical of Brampton about.......without making other stuff up :) Wanless and Creditview already has 2 bus routes serving the intersection.....the number/frequency/quality of that service will increase over time.....there is no need to make it worse by declaring the area will never be served by transit.

Thanks for the clarification. That's helpful. Now I understand.

Switching topics, any predictions or sense of what will happen at Council on the 15th? At this juncture in the transit debate in Brampton, what would you like to see happen given the current circumstances (IE less than two years away from a provincial/municipal election, RER promises, and the Queen St study for either LRT or BRT)?

My only point in this discussion was that the area/intersection the original poster described as "never being served by transit" is already served by transit....moving the goalposts by showing other roads does not change that.

there is lots to be critical of Brampton about.......without making other stuff up :) Wanless and Creditview already has 2 bus routes serving the intersection.....the number/frequency/quality of that service will increase over time.....there is no need to make it worse by declaring the area will never be served by transit.

Back