Toronto Hullmark Centre | 167.94m | 45s | Tridel | Kirkor Architects

Hey guys.

I'm new to this group so this question might already be answered but what will happen with the emergency exit for the subway? In the renderings I found online the exit seems to not be there. Will the exit be built into the hallmark center or will this exit remain where it is? Anyone know?

Hey guys.

I'm new to this group so this question might already be answered but what will happen with the emergency exit for the subway? In the renderings I found online the exit seems to not be there. Will the exit be built into the hallmark center or will this exit remain where it is? Anyone know?
There will be two exits located at the entrances to each tower (North-East and South) Check the plans here, p.16

In the drawings I still see a fire exit outdoors. but cannot zoom in due to quality of drawings. Seems like they will have 2 customer entrances and 1 fire exit still located in the "Plaza"

According to the drawing, "the existing TTC building to be demolished". There is better quality drawing available here. It still shows air shafts, but not a TTC entrance.

South tower is growing fast:

ut5hc1img0202.jpg

The curves of future square are starting to appear:
ut6hc2img0203.jpg

With Gibson Square, HC, and Emerald Park this view of NYCC will be less uniform:
ut1nyimg0195.jpg

that last pic is MIND BLOWING! nycc is a city on its own. and once these 150m towers (gibson, hallmark, emerald, etc) go up, it's gonna be crazy seeing such tall buildings outside the city. wow.

in 50 years this will be part of downtown :D

April 13th Update:

They're above 3 stores now with the main foyer area in the south tower fully covered.
I can also see the opening for the underground connection with the Sheppard subway as I walk by along Sheppard each morning.

pano.jpg

This is the south east corner.
DSC_0788.JPG

If you walk along Sheppard, you can see the cut out where the building connects to the Sheppard subway. Though it doesn't look like a direct connection to the Sheppard Centre across the street. If you want to get to each corner of Yonge and Sheppard via underground path you'll need to go through the Sheppard TTC station. It seems only those with a metro pass will enjoy this luxury.

DSC_0787.JPG

Looks like a nice double-height main floor. That should help to attract some interesting retail at least

that last pic is MIND BLOWING! nycc is a city on its own. and once these 150m towers (gibson, hallmark, emerald, etc) go up, it's gonna be crazy seeing such tall buildings outside the city. wow.

in 50 years this will be part of downtown :D

Problem is, Steveve, is that nycc is lifeless. There may be a lot of towers, but they're more suburban towers than urban residential. Hopefully with these new projects there will be some street life, but as of now, it's quite boring up there. So I don't know if this is necessarily an "uptown downtown", or more of an elevated suburbia... I guess time will tell.

Lifeless is pushing it way too far.

Walk on Yonge from Sheppard to Finch, its quite busy throughout. There are a lot of restaurants, particularly asian ones. I agree in terms of other types of retail it is surprisingly lacking.

I really don't understand the retail part, walk on Yonge from Lawerence to Bloor 6/7KM plus. It's full of house / furniture / cafes / bakeries / boutique clothing store, a ton of unique and interesting places. But non of these exist around NYCC even though it's arguably more dense.

I think this will change slowly as new retail is created by all these projects. The interesting part is finally we're seeing projects right on Yonge, this wasn't the case before, most of the construction was off Yonge on the side streets.

The new tridel building south of Finch, brought tons of small retail units, did they get filled up with laundry places ? No ! (okay there are some :) but there are many restaurants / bars / unique stores.
NYCC is only getting better with time.

Having said that it seems Yonge and Eglinton will always be more interesting !

I don't know if it's fair to call it lifeless. I walked Yonge from Finch down to Sheppard today and was surprised at how many people were out and about. The retail units in the new buildings are almost all occupied now, the older strip plazas have interesting mixes of non-chain restaurants and businesses, and it seems like there's a healthy mix of residences, office space, and commercial space. It's not Yonge/Eglinton, but nor is it Keele/Steeles.

it certainly isn't downtown at the moment, as it runs along one street and one street only, as well as it being surrounded by all residential homes any further east/west.
however, in the future, with the increase in population, development, density, etc.. i could see more "life" in the area.

in time...:D

Back