News   May 10, 2024
 155     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 305     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 736     0 

Toronto Harbour Ferries

I'm for an Eastern Gap bridge or tunnel (with vehicular access limited to TTC and EMS). It wouldn't have to replace the ferries, just take the pressure off/create additional capacity. The TTC should then have year round service (though I've always thought making it a branch of Pape to be an awkward choice, especially since it has been a non-accessible transfer point to the BD line and will be until the current renovations are done) and if they get off their ass and built the Cherry LRT then shuttle services can bring people to and from the terminus for onward travel during periods of high demand. If the TTC were given back the Ferries and accepted tokens/transfers the ferries wouldn't lack for trade even with a bridge taking the pressure off. I'm sure the residents wouldn't be thrilled but that's too bad. People who live near the CNE or High Park or other high draw areas can't dig a moat around their homes and charge a disproportionate fee to cross it.

As for people having to schlep to the Eastern Gap - I think that's a good thing. The more eyes on the portlands the more people will be invested in Waterfront Toronto not screwing it up.

EDIT: one other point - the Airport Tunnel is being combined with a water supply project for the city so the sticker price might be higher than a solely ped tunnel would be.

This is a spot on take - I completely agree with it.

Okay, riddle me this. A very expensive pedestrian link is already underway to the airport.

Now, pedestrians can't cross the airfield, chiefly on account of whirling blades of death descending from above, and can't go around it, beacuse the runway extends the entire width of the island. To build a pedestrian walkway, you'd actually have to fill in the lake to create more island around the exclusion zone.

But as it turns out, the Port Authority is already getting us halfway there. What would it take to create a raised landform walkway around the eastern perimeter of the airfield, linking the tunnel and Hanlan's Point?

I don't see how you can create a raised walkway at the end of the runway?

600405_10151773562685338_1212462830_n.jpg

I was over on the island the other day and thinking about that on the ferry to Hanlan's. I don't think even an enclosed walkway at grade around the eastern end of the runway would be feasible. You could continue the tunnel from the mainland and have it go under the runway, emerging at Hanlan's Point, but it would be long and very disruptive and expensive to build.

In terms of a semi-fixed access point to the island elsewhere, it occurred to me that the crumbling concrete breakwater at the Eastern Gap could be rebuilt into a landing area for a movable ped/bike bridge.

^Or you could run new additional ferry service from the Unwin Ave ferry terminal. Cheap.

It's funny to me that nobody is talking about the City lobbying for an exemption from federal safety regulations. I watched the Thomas Rennie come into dock Sunday morning, visibly listing to port. I don't know if it always looked that way, but it made me understand why Transport Canada has rules about all this.

^Or you could run new additional ferry service from the Unwin Ave ferry terminal. Cheap.

You mean that 'international marine passenger terminal'? Does that get any use or is it just left over from the short-lived Rochester ferry?

I guess there's nothing wrong with another super-short ferry, other than coordinating it with occasional shipping traffic around the port lands, but a movable bridge for pedestrians and cyclists would be easier to sell to residents of Ward's Island.

You mean that 'international marine passenger terminal'? Does that get any use or is it just left over from the short-lived Rochester ferry?
If Toronto had bought in that ferry from the defunct Rochester service and ran it between TO and a dock near Youngstown maybe there might have been a lot of trade "cutting the corner" from Buffalo/Lewiston to the 416 given that twice as many runs could be made with the shorter sailing distance. Running parallel to the shore and then round into Rochester was a dopey idea because it eroded all the time gains from not having to use the border crossing. The delay in getting trucks approved for the crossing was shocking also, it basically only came through just before the thing went belly up which meant a large source of income precluded until then.

As it is I'd love to know what the numbers are for running commuter/weekend visitor ferries into Toronto from NOTL or St Catharines as an integrated part of GO/Metrolinx (into Captain John's berth?) since that adds no additional load to the USRC or the Gardiner and if patrons connect to Bay buses returning from George Brown then not Union either.

Actually the TPA is proposing to fill in (slightly) the RESA area that is defined by the white buoys - so out that far there would be space for a walkway of sorts...

Actually the TPA is proposing to fill in (slightly) the RESA area that is defined by the white buoys - so out that far there would be space for a walkway of sorts...

Yeah, but isn't a walkway sort of antithetical to the purpose of a runway-end safety area?

I think that it merits a proper study to determine how many people would use the, mouthful, "international marine passenger terminal."

True tourists to the city will probably never go near it, but maybe some Torontonians and "Greater Torontonians" would. Yes, transit access leaves something to be desired, but there are well-known bike paths for locals, as well as more than enough parking potentially. And, who knows, maybe a portion of the segment of Island goers that don't care for Centreville aren't going over as often because they don't like the crowds at the foot of Bay Street.

Good idea. It could become "The Bike Ferry". What's happened to the old scow that used to run to the Island Airport?

Yeah, but isn't a walkway sort of antithetical to the purpose of a runway-end safety area?

The RESA edge is the buoys - so around the outside would be suitable. There is currently no limits on sailboats crossing in front of those buoys...

This is what I hope will someday supplement or replace the Toronto Island Ferries. :D

London-Cable-Car-Emirates-Air-Line-5.jpg

[video=youtube;it5RkGs7YmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it5RkGs7YmA[/video]

I would absolutely love to ride a cable car similar to London's Emirates Air Line to the Islands - the Toronto harbour would make for such a scenic crossing!

Last edited:

Back