Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Would you happen to have a copy?

It's not hard to find - https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&..._occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=

upload_2016-2-25_20-49-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-25_20-49-23.png
    upload_2016-2-25_20-49-23.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 1,094

Sure, I know about that document. Problem is the bulk of operations in it can be boiled down to `it will be negotiated in a second operating agreement`. That includes funding operations subsidies, and establishing a methodology for sharing fare box revenue.

As far as I know, this second operating agreement it refers to, which will have the meat of the year-to-year financial arrangements, has not yet been finalized or a draft publicly released. It's probably waiting on the fare integration study; that Master Agreement doesn't even give TTC the ability to set fares (that's punted to the second operating agreement too).

Last edited:
You know about the document, but you need me to find it for you!?!

I really don't appreciate being played - it's not like there was any question what document I was referring to, when I gave the date and number of pages.

I really don't appreciate being played - it's not like there was any question what document I was referring to, when I gave the date and number of pages.

I thought you knew where to find Part 2 of the Master Agreement which included the piece that we were discussing (where the Revenue goes).

Nobody official has said it isn't a fully completed agreement. I assumed since you firmly stated the answer that I simply didn't know where Part 2 of the Master Agreement was; and as it turns out (I assume based on the above response) neither do you.

If you feel you got played, you did it to yourself by screen-capping a Google search.

Last edited:
So back on topic.
Ontario Budget 2016:
  • Hamilton LRT — The Province will cover the capital costs of building the LRT, up to $1 billion. New, modern light rail vehicles on tracks separated from regular traffic will offer speedy service from McMaster University through downtown Hamilton to Queenston Traffic Circle. The environmental assessment process is expected to be completed in early 2017, construction will start in 2019, and the LRT will be in service by 2024.
Got to love that "speedy" service quote ;)
There are many other reasons, including economic development, that Hamilton LRT exists -- it's not just there for speedy service.

Along with coming all-day 2-way GO service by the early half of next decade, the Hamilton LRT will also help break the transit stagnation and mentality of neglect on HSR bus service.

"An engineering firm has been engaged to prepare plans for construction, in order that contracts may be awarded by early 2018."

Damn. If early 2018 is anything other than Jan/Feb it'll overlap with 2018 election campaigning. It's a bad idea to award billion dollar contracts while on the campaign trail. So, Hamilton LRT will probably be dependent on who wins the election; even NDP will delay this kind of work to re-consult with constituents first (show they care) and possibly make adjustments then retender.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...dd-15-mpps-move-2018-election-date-ahead.html

"Premier Kathleen Wynne on Thursday confirmed that Ontarians would go to the polls in the spring of 2018 instead of October that year."

I was hoping to get this one locked-in prior to the provincial election.

Last edited:
Yes, very good magazine article (with recent info) that just got also published online.
It is a really interesting (printed) railroad magazine to read too, for those curious.

This was the first I've heard of an underpass at King East & East Bend. Not sure how I feel about that. Some houses would likely need to be removed.

This was the first I've heard of an underpass at King East & East Bend. Not sure how I feel about that. Some houses would likely need to be removed.

To clarify, the spur may actually be owned by Southern Ontario Railway. Does anyone have insight as to how many train movements occur here? Many industrial spurs aren't that active, but I would imagine this one gets relatively more traffic given it serves the Hamilton industrial area.

The "technical advisory services" contract has been awarded. Link here and details below.

AECOM awarded transit contract from Metrolinx with CA$100-million maximum value

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--AECOM (NYSE:ACM), a premier, fully integrated global infrastructure firm, announced today that it has been selected to provide technical advisory services on the Hurontario Light Rail Transit (LRT) project in Mississauga and Brampton, Canada, and the Hamilton LRT project in Hamilton, Canada, for Metrolinx, an agency of the Government of Ontario.

The seven-year contract has a CA$100-million aggregate maximum value. The Hurontario LRT and Hamilton LRT projects are part of the largest infrastructure investment in Ontario’s history and are expected to have an impressive impact on regional transit by providing crucial links between many of the existing lines, as well as on the local economy, by creating jobs and attracting more investments in the area.

AECOM will lead the development of the reference concept designs, project specific output specifications and related design and planning activities; provide assistance with the Alternative Financing and Procurement request for quotation/request for proposal development and related in-market support; and support the construction and implementation phases providing technical compliance oversight and acting in an associated advisory role.

“We are excited to be a part of such important infrastructure projects for Ontario, which will improve mobility for people moving through these corridors and connect them to the region’s existing transit lines,” said Michael S. Burke, AECOM Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “This is a great opportunity to again demonstrate AECOM’s proficiency in delivering complex and essential transportation projects around the world.”

The Hurontario LRT project will consist of 20 kilometers (12 miles) of new light rail installation along Hurontario Street from Port Credit GO Station to Brampton Gateway Terminal. Twenty-two stops and a service loop in the downtown Mississauga City Centre/Square One area will be included, as well as a maintenance storage facility in the Highway 407 area. An estimated up to CA$1.4 billion capital cost will be provincially funded.

The Hamilton LRT project will include approximately 13 kilometers (8 miles) of new light rail that will connect McMaster University through downtown Hamilton to Queenston Circle as well as a connection to the West Harbour GO Station and potentially the waterfront. The project also includes a high-order pedestrian connection to the Hamilton GO Centre Station, and a maintenance and storage facility. The estimated up to CA$1 billion capital cost for this project will also be provincially funded.

About AECOM

AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM had revenue of approximately $18 billion during fiscal year 2015. See how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM.

Interesting that these two projects have been bundled together from a design perspective. Makes sense!

Also interesting that the Hurontario description provides a very detailed route, while the Hamilton one simply says "through downtown Hamilton". The Main St option lives!

PS: IMO running along Main the entire time is preferable to King. The Main St ROW is wider for the majority of the length, is a straight shot, is closer to the Hunter GO station, and wouldn't require a new bridge over the 403.

Interesting that these two projects have been bundled together from a design perspective. Makes sense!

Also interesting that the Hurontario description provides a very detailed route, while the Hamilton one simply says "through downtown Hamilton". The Main St option lives!

PS: IMO running along Main the entire time is preferable to King. The Main St ROW is wider for the majority of the length, is a straight shot, is closer to the Hunter GO station, and wouldn't require a new bridge over the 403.
That is probably the uncertainity on the A-line routing north of King, as they are comsidering potential James St N bypasses to preserve its heritage (to you Bramptonites, sounds familiar?).

The B-line is almost definite to stay on King, even though Main also made sense too. The decision seemed to have been made a long ago.

I expect some announcement in the springtime on the study options.

That is probably the uncertainity on the A-line routing north of King, as they are comsidering potential James St N bypasses to preserve its heritage (to you Bramptonites, sounds familiar?).

The B-line is almost definite to stay on King, even though Main also made sense too. The decision seemed to have been made a long ago.

I expect some announcement in the springtime on the study options.

Almost definite, but from what I've heard it isn't set in stone yet. The potential complications with the bridge over the 403 could flip it to Main to avoid that. Also, Main is 5 lanes for virtually its entire length as a one-way. You could have 2 LRT lanes and 3 general one-way traffic lanes, thereby preserving the one-way pair setup, which is incredibly efficient. You could set it up as a counter-flow lane, much like the way Cannon is set up, only with LRT lanes instead of bike lanes.

This appears to be a leaked updated route plan for Hamilton's B-Line (and dwarfed A-Line) LRT

LRTMap___Gallery.jpg

Source: http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-story/6511983-hamilton-s-lrt-design-set-to-be-revealed/

Disappointed to see they are sticking with running the A-Line down James St. Even more disappointed to hear it will be mixed traffic :/
A-Line will also run from King St (James LRT Station) to West Harbour GO. It wont even connect to the current TH&B (Hamilton GO Centre) Station.
The extension to the Waterfront is contingent on funding, so that wont happen this round.
All in all, the A-Line is disappointing.

B-Line still terminates at the Queenston Traffic Circle which we just learned last week wont be turned into a residential hub anymore, but rather a mega transit terminal. Great. Welcome to Hamilton.

Stops Removed by Metrolinx:
-McMaster Medical Centre (Forsyth Ave)
-First Place (Wellington St) --> moved to Victoria St(?)
-Gage --> Moved to Scott Park (new High School & Tim Horton's Field)
-The Delta (King & Main Sts)

Missed Opportunities (where to begin):
-Extending B-Line LRT to Eastgate or even Centennial GO.
-Adding a stop at Queenston & Pottfruff, high-density and full of old ppl who can't necessarily walk to Nash.
-Connecting Hamilton GO Centre (Hunter St) to West Harbour GO (James North) via a pedestrianized Hughson St Transit Mall (3 birds, one stone)!!

Major Mistake(s):
-Replacing Gage Ave with Scott Park. If Hamilton wants to create a true grid/ feeder transit system, where buses feed into B-Line LRT, there should be a stop at Gage Ave as well.

Also, I'm wondering if the move from Walnut St to Catherine St means International Village will be open up again to cars?

Last edited:

Back